Bilstein 5100s on stock suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bilstein 5100s on stock suspension?

I've got a stock '02 F150 SuperCab 4x4. I am planning on adding a leveling kit, rims (17"), and stock tires. I also need new shocks. Will the Bilsteins work on stock suspension? The website says for lifted trucks.

If they don't work, what is a good alternative?

Old 11-18-2007, 07:58 PM
You have to buy the ones that are for stock suspension. I just put some on my truck (01 supercrew 4x4) yesterday, and they are great...10X better then stock! I bought them off of ebay for 249$ shipped.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Fair price... any idea of the seller has more? Thanks.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:35 AM
Yah I have been busy researching the shocks for my 2005. Bilstein replied to my email and said to use the HD shocks, they have on their website as the 5100 for lifted trucks will not work unless you have a 2+ inch lift. Try a Google search for bilstein shocks and you can find some good places. I finally decided to go with the Rancho Quick lift shocks as they are the 9000 series and adjustable if I want to, and I know the 9000 ride great as my buddy has them in his 2000 4x4. You might want to look into them if you want to get a better rake on the front of the truck. Hope this helps. Later

Kevin from Alaska

Old 11-19-2007, 10:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also, from what research I've done, I'm almost 99.87446259% sure that the 5100's and the HD's are the exact same shock internally. The 5100 is simply a different color/coating and obviously a different length for the lifted applications. No need to feel you are getting an inferior shock or missing out by getting the HD's.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Does this mean the Bilstein HD shocks aren't height adjustable?

I am trying to go this route instead of getting a leveling kit.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:44 PM
On our trucks, no shock from any manufacturer has the capability to level or raise anything. I also don't know about any leveling kits for our trucks like post '04 trucks?? The only way I know to raise the front a little outside of a lift kit (I'm assuming that's what you are trying to accomplish) is to crank up the torsion bars. That will do the trick! Even if you crank up the torsion bars (like almost every single pre '04 owner has done) you would still use a shock for a stock, no lift, application.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Galaxy
On our trucks, no shock from any manufacturer has the capability to level or raise anything. I also don't know about any leveling kits for our trucks like post '04 trucks?? The only way I know to raise the front a little outside of a lift kit (I'm assuming that's what you are trying to accomplish) is to crank up the torsion bars. That will do the trick! Even if you crank up the torsion bars (like almost every single pre '04 owner has done) you would still use a shock for a stock, no lift, application.

I though Blistien made a 5100 adjustable for our trucks that will raise it up?

Old 11-20-2007, 09:17 PM
For your '05, yea..they sure do!! Not for his. The Bilstein shock to level the front is for '04 and on trucks with coil over front suspension. Nothing is available but a plain ol shock for pre '04 torsion bar front suspension trucks.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Be careful with Bilstein - I got that set of ebay for $249 and the front ones barley fit - I hit a bump a certain way and my front end will wonder . I checked and double checked - I have the correct part number and my bars aren't cranked - they are to small if you ask me..

I don't know what the deal is with them - somethings not right..

Last edited by jbrew; 11-20-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:43 PM
For your '05, yea..they sure do!! Not for his. The Bilstein shock to level the front is for '04 and on trucks with coil over front suspension. Nothing is available but a plain ol shock for pre '04 torsion bar front suspension trucks.

Ahh, sorry for the confusion!

Old 11-20-2007, 09:50 PM
On our trucks, no shock from any manufacturer has the capability to level or raise anything. I also don't know about any leveling kits for our trucks like post '04 trucks??
Ahh, thanks for the clarification. I thought this was possible with my (our) '02s. So much for that idea

The only way I know to raise the front a little outside of a lift kit (I'm assuming that's what you are trying to accomplish) is to crank up the torsion bars. That will do the trick! Even if you crank up the torsion bars (like almost every single pre '04 owner has done) you would still use a shock for a stock, no lift, application.
Where can I read more about cranking up the torsion bars? Is this something I can do in my driveway with common tools?

Thanks for the info!

Old 11-20-2007, 10:01 PM
EmmEff - you're best bet is to either just crank the torsion bars and forget about the leveling kit (or aftermarket torsion keys). It's easy to do, it's free and it'll give you a couple of more inches in the front.

You need the standard Bilstein shock for stock suspension. The 5100's will be too long. Bvette85 was right on, pick them up on ebay for $249. That's where I bought my last 2 sets and they are great shocks, you'll be very pleased.

You could consider a body lift also. They are cheap if you do the install yourself, look good if done right, and none of your suspension will need anything special done to it. Everything will still be stock except for the torsion bar crank (which if you decide to do, your going to want to get an allignment afterward).

Jbrew- I know what you mean, the last 2 sets I installed were a pain, the rubber bushing needs to really be compressed to get the fronts on. The rears weren't too bad though. I am surprised to hear that you are having issues though, I've had 2 sets on 2 different F150's and love 'em. I'll probably never buy anything but Bilsteins.

Anyways, my 2 cents fellas...

Old 11-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Sorry for being green on this, but will a (small) body lift allow me to level the front end at the same time?

Old 11-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by EmmEff
Sorry for being green on this, but will a (small) body lift allow me to level the front end at the same time?
Nope. and no need for apologies. I was going through the exact same stuff you were a couple of years ago.

With a body lift, you are taking the entire body of the truck, the way that it sits now, and either lifting it 2 or 3 inches (depending on which size you go with). The difference isn't that much between the 2, but with the 2 inch you do not need to move the rear bumper, the 3" requires you to move move the bumper up (I think, I could be wrong on the 2" but someone will correct me if I am).

The best to get a level truck on a 97-03 (or 04 heritage) is to crank the torsion bars. By doing this, you can run 33s. Whether you have a 2" body lift or not. I believe that is the max tire size you can run with either of these 2 set ups. With a 3" BL, you can run 35s.

If you are going to do a body lift, do a 3" IMO. A 2" might be worth it, but you'll wish you went with a 3". If you don't want a body lift, just crank the torsion bars. Even if you do a body lift, you can still crank the torsion bars to make the truck level. I pics of the the install process for a BL in my gallery, with captions and descriptions.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Bilstein 5100s on stock suspension?