How can I tell if I need new ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can I tell if I need new ball joints?

or tie-rod ends?

What are the typical symptoms on a 99 2wd?

I've got 188k on my truck and notice a vibration at speed (around 70 or under braking). it feels like a shudder, but it doesn't come through either the pedal or the steering.

Thanks.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Jack your truck/tire off the ground. Grab the tire at 12 & 6 and see if you can shake it to check the ball joints. Grab it at 9 & 3 and do the same to check tie end rods.

Or is could be your rotors and pads.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:08 PM
I thought that was how you check for bad bearings?

Old 11-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Sphinx
I thought that was how you check for bad bearings?
same concept. works for both

Old 11-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ball joints

Jack the truck up under the lower control arm. Wedge a big screw driver under the knucle/spindle (careful around the dust boot). Try to pry the spindle up relative to the control arm. I believe up to 1/16" of play is acceptable, but take the time to check a manual for specifications. I'd probably change them if I could see anything more than the slightest of movement.

Tie rods, idler arm, and drag link

Leave the truck on the ground not running but key on. Have somebody sit in the driver's seat and rock the wheel left and right just to the edges of the slop in the steering while you lay under the front of the truck. The helper wont actually move the tires. You may notice a slight movement of the wheels and a slight flexing on the tire sidewall. If you see any relative movement in any of these parts, change them.

Ford did send a notice on how to inspect these parts. Water was an issue for the stock parts. I believe they wanted you to peel the boot off the shaft slightly and look for water or rust and change the part if you see any of either or any movement. I don't know where to find Ford's inspection recommendations, but they will help you do this to Ford's procedure.

Last edited by Bent6; 11-15-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you were feeling it through the pedal, that would be more bearing or rotor. With 188k I would say replace all for a new truck feel and taking the guessing out.

Quick Reply: How can I tell if I need new ball joints?