Body Lift & Towing

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 05:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body Lift & Towing

Hey fellas, what happens with the tow plug & the trailer lights etc. when you put a body lift on? Would it look stupid with the plug in the same location as it is stock? I really wanna get my truck taller, yet I cannot afford to loose my towing ability. It was hard enought finding an 8 inch drop-down for a trailer, I couldn't imagine how hard it would be too find an even taller one, let alone how much the pound rating would go down.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:02 AM
The receiver stays in the same location as stock. The only thing that moves is the body and bumpers. What most people do with the plug on the hitch including myself is relocate it to the top of the hitch.
Look in my gallery for pics on installing a body lift as well as jk007 and wandall's gallery

Old 10-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Kevin24
The receiver stays in the same location as stock. The only thing that moves is the body and bumpers. What most people do with the plug on the hitch including myself is relocate it to the top of the hitch.
Look in my gallery for pics on installing a body lift as well as jk007 and wandall's gallery

That's the ticket You can't tow with your bumper after the body lift is installed, you will have to rely solely on the receiver and the hitch, which will not be moved or effected by the install. Your rear bumper will come with brackets and you will relocate it 3" higher than where it currently sits. While your bumper if off, take the bolt out for the trailer light assembly, use that same hole and drill a hole through the top of the tow package. It takes all of a minute to do and really cleans up the back end. This is not in the directions (at least on the PA BL Kits it's not), but you'll be happy you did. He's a pic of what it will look like...

Sorry for the crappy pic, but there are more in my gallery and as Kevin24 stated, I snapped pics of the entire install process with descriptions and captions. Check it out if you want and good luck.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just flipped mine upside down. I have pics in my gallary.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:51 PM
towing with your bumper after a body lift

Originally Posted by jk007
That's the ticket You can't tow with your bumper after the body lift is installed, you will have to rely solely on the receiver and the hitch, which will not be moved or effected by the install. Your rear bumper will come with brackets and you will relocate it 3" higher than where it currently sits. While your bumper if off, take the bolt out for the trailer light assembly, use that same hole and drill a hole through the top of the tow package. It takes all of a minute to do and really cleans up the back end. This is not in the directions (at least on the PA BL Kits it's not), but you'll be happy you did. He's a pic of what it will look like...

Sorry for the crappy pic, but there are more in my gallery and as Kevin24 stated, I snapped pics of the entire install process with descriptions and captions. Check it out if you want and good luck.
It's not reccomended that you tow with your bumper after a body lift, but i have done it many times...i tow my suzuki samurai around all the time...like i said though...do it at your own risk...the kit actually has a disclaimer freeing themselves of responsibility in case of an accident...

Old 12-06-2007, 11:43 PM
I'm in the process of installing a 3" body lift in my 98 F150 I started this morning and have just the bed and rear bumper to finish tomorrow morning. The only thing I'm not sure of is the transmission shift cable bracket. Maybe it's just something I don't see but I don't see exactly where it mounts and the instructions don't show a clear pic. It doesn't look like I need it but I want to make sure I'm not skipping over something that needs to be done.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't need to use it.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:47 PM
I put mine on but it was kind of a PITA. Not really difficult to put it on, but just finding exactly where it goes and being able to tighten it down.

If Wandell said he didn't install his, and he hasn't had any problem, I wouldn't worry about it.

Quick Reply: Body Lift & Towing