Truck has 130k miles and some squeaks, what needs replacing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck has 130k miles and some squeaks, what needs replacing?

I'm talking about the front end of the truck. I personally haven't changed anything (bought the truck with 80k on the clock), and I don't know if anything has been changed before. I'm not going to replace the upper ball joints yet because I was planning on buying some Doetsch UCAs in a few months. The squeaks I'm hearing occur whenever I'm turning (not while the truck is stationary though). I guess the list so far is:

Tierod ends
Pitman & Idler arm
Lower balljoints

Do you think all of these need to be replaced, or can I save some money and just replace the balljoints and something else?

Old 10-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by _cashel
I'm talking about the front end of the truck. I personally haven't changed anything (bought the truck with 80k on the clock), and I don't know if anything has been changed before. I'm not going to replace the upper ball joints yet because I was planning on buying some Doetsch UCAs in a few months. The squeaks I'm hearing occur whenever I'm turning (not while the truck is stationary though). I guess the list so far is:

Tierod ends
Pitman & Idler arm
Lower balljoints

Do you think all of these need to be replaced, or can I save some money and just replace the balljoints and something else?
I had a 99 and it used to creek/squeak and it was the lower ball joint that was worn.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:06 PM
alright well I'll start off with the lower ball joints. I just picked some up this morning that I'll be putting on hopefully later today.

Anybody else have any thoughts?

Old 10-15-2007, 01:21 PM
just replaced the balljoints, and holy hell... I wasn't sure what I was doing for the first wheel, so it took me a little longer than normal. Not only that, the damn spindle WOULD NOT COME OFF. I sat there pounding on it, prying on it with a pickle fork, etc. Finally a friend of mine told me to wack the hell out of it twice on each side next to the ball joint, and voila, it fell off. Both balljoints were worn out badly. Luckily the passenger side only took me 45 min to change tops. I'd be driving it now but I've got some other issues to take care of on the truck, I think this did the trick though!

edit: almost forgot something. I know that you have to replace the entire UCA to replace the upper ball joint. What happens when I buy the $300 Doetsch UCAs for my truck and it comes time to replace the upper ball joints? Do I seriously need to shell out another $300, or is there somewhere I can get just the upper ball joint?

Last edited by _cashel; 10-15-2007 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Did the squeaks stop?

Old 10-17-2007, 11:53 AM
For the most part. I still get a few here and there, had a bad one last night. I think I need to grease up my pitman arm, which will have to wait till I'm back in Ocala because I have nothing to work with here in Orlando.

Maybe it's placebo, but the turning feels a lot better after changing out the lower ball joints.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:10 PM
Sounds like it was a much needed repair...I would suggest looking at the sway bar links and bushings if you haven't already. As you mentioned maybe its the upper ball joints. Since you wanted to go with Doetsch UCAs in a few months why not wait and see what happens after the upgrade. Just throwing out some ideas...

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Truck has 130k miles and some squeaks, what needs replacing?