Achieving Optimal Softness

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Achieving Optimal Softness

I own an 02 F-150 Supercrew 4x4. I am looking at how to achieve the softest ride possible, especially the sharp jolts in the rear on pot holes and rough roads. Does anyone have experience in replacing the stock leafs with something softer? Removing a leaf perhaps? I do tow but only a 2 place atv/sled trailer rated at 3500lbs so nothing strenuous.

The wife drives an 04 expedition and I would like to be able to soften the ride as it kind of spoils me of my 02 as its my daily driver but am limited with the 4x4 which i need to retain. I am intending on putting some larger tires on it as i need to replace the existing ones due to wear, so was thinking about some 15/10 AE 589's with some 32/11.5/15's or so. Was hoping a slightly larger thicker tire with a little less air might add a bit more cushion and helps in the looks department as well. I dont really want to get into a suspension lift and the cost associated and not sure if the difference in ride quality would warrant the price, as well as the fact I like to keep it parked in my garage and I have an 8' high door.

Thoughts or opinions? Replacing the truck just isnt an option.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Changing them will not affect you tow capacity as much as it will affect your load carrying. If you do not haul anything, then no big deal.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:57 PM
If you're running the stock shocks out back, i would suggest a aftermarket shock. Also some air helper bags may soften it up when towing as well.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:11 PM
The difference between your truck and your wife's expedition is the IRS. Your solid axle rear end will NEVER ride as smooth as her Indepdant Rear Suspension.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:13 PM
I am aware of the fact that the expedition has irs. notice i never asked how to make the truck ride as smooth. i am simply wanting to soften the ride more so then stock.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by a_user
I am aware of the fact that the expedition has irs. notice i never asked how to make the truck ride as smooth. i am simply wanting to soften the ride more so then stock.
Didn't mean to come across like an a$$. The rigidity is what's causing the problems. A couple guys I know removed their overload springs and noticed the rear end moves in a more fluid manner. Granted, you reduce your bed payload but if you're towing a trailer it won't affect you much.

The off-road capability should be affected slightly with the removal of the overload springs but unless you are getting knee deep in it, you should be fine.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:21 AM
would removing a leaf not change the geometry and handling characteristics of the truck? I could see putting a new set of leafs with a different tension level and spring rate but removing a leaf entirely? Also, do the f150's even normally come with overload springs unless you get the heavy towing package or whatever they call it? I thought they used the overload spring to help balance the tongue wait and rear end sag.

Thanks for the help.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:45 AM
Removing the overload spring will change the geometry but the same goes for adding a drop shackle, etc. Removing the spring drops the rear by 1.5" and softens it up.

All 3 F150's I've owned have had them and none of them had the heavy duty or towing package.

Adding a new leaf pack would achieve the same result, but removing the spring and trying it out is a free alternative to try out. If it's not what you want, go spend some cash

Old 10-09-2007, 09:01 AM
Thanks!

Old 10-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by a_user
would removing a leaf not change the geometry and handling characteristics of the truck? I could see putting a new set of leafs with a different tension level and spring rate but removing a leaf entirely? Also, do the f150's even normally come with overload springs unless you get the heavy towing package or whatever they call it? I thought they used the overload spring to help balance the tongue wait and rear end sag.

Thanks for the help.
He's referring to the actual overload which is the fat bottom spring and you're thinking of the the auxiliary spring otherwise known as the top overload. If the spring stack is riding close to the overload then it will improve the ride if removed because this spring prevents the rest of the springs from going past this point. It's usually best to replace this system with 3 thin leaves to make a more progressive curve which will actually ride better because the bounces are distributed more evenly throughout the leaf springs. The downside to taking the overload out is the majority of your capacity comes from this leaf and you'll notice it when carrying around a heavy load but if you don't tow or haul very often then it won't matter and if you do haul or tow then you may want to take out the overload and put in airbags or timbrens for when you do have a load so the truck won't squat. If your springs are pretty far away from the overload then taking out a regular leaf would probably be the way to go.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:10 AM
you are right. thanks for the clarification and explanation. much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Achieving Optimal Softness