Broken axle stud!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Broken axle stud!!!!!

I took the truck in to the dealer to get the driver side uca fixed and the driver side cv boot replaced. I get a phone call at about 9:30 this morning. The service advisor calls me to tell me that when they were taking the driver side joint assembly off the spindle to change the cv boot, they went to take off the nut and they snapped the stud on the axle. The dealer is blaming it on the 4x4 shop that installed the lift. Saying that when they put the lift on they must have over torqued the nut on the stud. Now, 4wheelparts installed the lift so I called them and they told me that they dont have to touch that nut to get the hub off the spindle. I have pics of the axle with the broken stud. What do you guys think? I didnt install my lift but for those that did. Does this part of the axle have to be messed with to get the spindle off. I went under the truck tonite and noticed maybe 4 small bolts that might have been removed to have to free the hub from the spindle.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:50 PM
I pulled those nuts off when installing my pro comp kit. I believe you have to in order to pull the drive shaft out

Old 10-03-2007, 10:15 PM
I remember pulling that nut off, but it ready didn't have any torque. Sounds like someone applied to much muscle (or air). I would bet the guy(s) that did you lift did it, but you may never prove it. You do have to remove the 4 bolts also…

How much is a new one going to cost you? It really sucks, and this is one of the main reasons I like working on my on stuff. No one is going to take care if it like you would…

Hope it works out for you… Let us know.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Sounds like they are trying weasel out of fixing it. Even if the 4x4 did overtighten it, big deal, they didn't break the stud. Maybe the dealer mech forgot to reverse his impact and hit it with a 3/4" impact at 150 PSI. Who knows. The point is is wasn't broken when you dropped it off and they broke while working on it. It's on them to fix it at no charge to you. I'm a boss in a welding shop where we repair underground mining equipment and have been in similar situations many times. No way I'm calling a customer and asking them to pay for our screw ups. It'll be the last job you do for them. I would hold firm that the dealer repair at no charge to you. Good luck.

Aaron

Quick Reply: Broken axle stud!!!!!