Info/help with suspension problem.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Info/help with suspension problem.

Hi all,

I recently trusted a shop to install a 2'' levelling kit on my truck. I thought the job would be simple enough for them to wrap their heads around.. but I was wrong. After having my new tires installed, I drove my truck home and heard a god awful noise coming from the front end. (I had the tire place align the front end aswell). The squeeking/grinding noise is almost unbearable and is followed by a load clunk when I come to a stop. It seems to be irrelevant at what speed I am going as it comes and goes. I checked the sway bar (where it connects to the lower a-arm) and it was loose. So I am having the tire shop (not the knuckle heads who installed the levelling kit) try to figure out what is causing the noise. Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks for helping a newbie out.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:21 AM
Welcome to the site

What kit did you install ? 2x4 or 4x4?

Old 09-28-2007, 12:32 AM
It is the autospring kit for a 2004 FI50 FX4 4x4.
Thanks.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Make sure they reconnected the vacuum lines to the IWEs (hubs). Default position for them is locked. When locked and in 2wd, they will make a grinding noise. If that is the problem, not sure what damage has already been done.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:45 AM
Sounds like something to definatley check out. Thanks.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:52 AM
Your answer

I had the same problem on my truck and i wrapped my head around it for 2 days before i figured it out! Its the top nut on your shock. Open the hood up and you see where the shock bolts to the truck. there will be 3 nuts and one in the center. Tighten up the center nut and you should be good to go. to tighten it up you will need to hold the stud to torque on it... so keep that in mind! Hope that solves you problem!

Old 09-28-2007, 07:39 PM
Ask and you shall will receive.
Thats what I Like about this site.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:18 AM
Right on, thanks man.

At first I thought the noise was coming from the hub, but then I figured, in what way would a levelling kit effect the hub. I'll definatley try tightening up that center nut. Oh and I checked both vacuum lines and they are good.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:25 AM
Originally Posted by DIRKA-DIRKA
Right on, thanks man.

At first I thought the noise was coming from the hub, but then I figured, in what way would a levelling kit effect the hub. I'll definatley try tightening up that center nut. Oh and I checked both vacuum lines and they are good.
since you're a 2004, and you just added a leveling kit, i would think some of the factory components could've not taken the angle you put them in, so maybe they just took a ***** straight up. check your UCA & LCA (ball joints), sway bar end links, cv joints, etc.... I think you have a problem with one of those components. All else fails, take it into the dealer...maybe pricey but they usually dont stop, until they fix the problem.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DIRKA-DIRKA
Right on, thanks man.

They would probably disconnect the vacuum lines to do the install.

Quick Reply: Info/help with suspension problem.