Quick question before coilover install...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question before coilover install...

Hows it going. Just wanted to clear this up so i can keep myself somewhat safe from the OEM coilspring.

Now, with the truck at full droop in the front, if i unbolt everything needed to remove the coil/strut assembly, is that spring going to be under any load and will it pop on me? or is it compressed within the top and bottom coil hats, and should just slide out with some effort? thanks guys.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:31 AM
hey nooq, I believe all your doing is unbolting the old coil/strut and installing the dl's. your not reusing any of the old hardware so you don't have to worry about the spring or anything else blowing off at you. good luck and post some pics when done.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:40 AM
You're good to go.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by FoMoCoFan17
You're good to go.
so the oem coilspring wont have any load on it at full droop? did you install yours? how did you go about cranking them up? and did it align correctly?

Old 09-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Your not going to have to worry about the spring flying out. All you will be doing is taking out your old coil strut and the 6inch pro comp spacer and replacing them with the dirt logics. The stock coil/strut won't be reused and you won't have to worry about the load cause your not going to be taking the stock coil/strut apart.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:33 PM
Its going to be pretty easy, I just installed the Bilstein 5100 on my truck and had to worry about the spring popping. I needed two sets of compressors but your dirt logics are all ready to go. Just pop in and get an alignment.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:21 PM
I had no problem when I pulled mine out as long as the suspension is at full drop you should be fine. Is it possible to replace the coiloever without separating the ball joints from the spindle and removing the spindle? Im considering doing the same installation but I dont feel like going through all that work just yet. I just put my lift on about a month ago.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Knarf0486
I had no problem when I pulled mine out as long as the suspension is at full drop you should be fine. Is it possible to replace the coiloever without separating the ball joints from the spindle and removing the spindle? Im considering doing the same installation but I dont feel like going through all that work just yet. I just put my lift on about a month ago.
from what i understand, You do not need to pull the spindle to put in coilovers, just remove your sway bar end link, 3 top shock tower bolts, lower a-arm strut bolt and pull the upper balljoint from spindle...making sure that you dont let it hang from brake line.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:02 PM
That's all your gonna need to do. Remove the 30mm nut holding the coil on the lca, remove the upper ball joint from the spindle, remove the sway bar nut and remove the 3 nuts holding the coil/strut and it should come out with some twisting and moving around. Then just put the dirt logics in and reverse the order.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:41 PM
When I separated my ball joints last time around I destroyed the boots and ended up replacing all my ball joints to be safe. Did you guys rip your boots too or am I just grabbing it in a bad spot or something? BTW if you dont mind me asking how much did those coilovers run ya?

Old 09-20-2007, 03:10 PM
I haven't had problems ripping the boots but my brother ripped one, was a tiny rip, maybe 1/4 inch, I think he used some super glue to try and patch it up till he could replace them. they have been holding since. I believe your looking at around $1100 for the dirtlogics, that's what 4wheelparts priced me.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:55 PM
just down load the instructions for a AS leveling kit.... the only differance is your putting in a new coilover, they will be perfect for your install. oh and you may want to get yourself a gear puller or a big *** sleg hammer for when you seperate the UCA form the spindle.
When I separated my ball joints last time around I destroyed the boots and ended up replacing all my ball joints to be safe.
should have used a gear puller, $3 at harbor Freight.

Last edited by bud8817; 09-20-2007 at 03:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Quick question before coilover install...