How do I get the torsion bars out (03)model

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I get the torsion bars out (03)model

Hello, this is my first post and first day here. I bought the torsion bar keys and just need to know how to get the keys in? Do I take the cross member out completely? It looks like the front of the torsion bars can be pushed out frontwards or backwards but you cant push them out from the back where the hole is cause the key is there. I am pretty good with this stuff but this is MY FIRST FORD truck so bare with me on my stupidity. I have an 03 F-150 4x4...Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your first mistake was buying the keys. They will destroy your ride quality and put way to much preload on ur bars. Should have done your research.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by keith_bennett
Your first mistake was buying the keys. They will destroy your ride quality and put way to much preload on ur bars. Should have done your research.
true. sell the keys on ebay and just crank up the stock ones. or your next post wil be "need new balljoints WTF?"

Old 09-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Instead of bashing your your purchase I'll give you some advise. The first thing you need to do is unload the torsion bars, there is a special tool made by OTC to safely get this done. In theory the torsion bars should just slide foward in the control arms, but after a few years of rust they get siezed right up in there. So the best way to remove the keys is to remove the cross-member and slide it back, then the keys should fall out. If the keys don't want to come off you may have to give the cross-member a few blows with a big hammer. Try soaking everything down with some PB Blaster for a few days to try to loosen them up.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:51 PM
We are saving the guy from future problems.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:53 PM
thanks

Well thanks for everyone's real opinion about it anyway.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Just trying to help you out buddy, didnt mean to be a jerk. You can crank your stock tbars with stock keys to level your truck. Sell the other ones.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:16 PM
Cranking

Well, I am curious as to how high it will go cranking the keys as far as they will go. Seems you are saying it will level out with my originals. What I dont understand is that the aftermarket ones say it will add 2 to 3 inches of lift and its my belief that it will take around 2.5 to totally level it out. Not sure why they would sell the aftermarket ones if the original ones cranked will go that high? Guess I just need to wait till UPS delivers them and before I install them just go ahead and crank them as much as possible and measure how high the change will be? I dont want to do it now since I am driving the truck and just got new tires and dont want to ruin them.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:30 PM
You will get about 2inches of lift.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:47 PM
Odd question, but how do you crank torsion bars? my friend has a nissan xterra that has torsionbars and he wants to crank them, so how exactly do you do it?

Old 09-18-2007, 07:47 AM
Just turn the bolts an even number of times.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by WayneByrom
Well, I am curious as to how high it will go cranking the keys as far as they will go. Seems you are saying it will level out with my originals. What I dont understand is that the aftermarket ones say it will add 2 to 3 inches of lift and its my belief that it will take around 2.5 to totally level it out. Not sure why they would sell the aftermarket ones if the original ones cranked will go that high? Guess I just need to wait till UPS delivers them and before I install them just go ahead and crank them as much as possible and measure how high the change will be? I dont want to do it now since I am driving the truck and just got new tires and dont want to ruin them.
I would not crank them all the way, it can put to much pressure on the t-bars. It could also lead to front end trouble. I would just crank them enough to level it out. Remember to get a front end alignment after you crank'em. There is also a very useful search button on here. There is a alot of info about cranking the t-bars in there.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:30 AM
With oem keys you can crank them all the way without putting to much preload on the tbars. With aftermarket keys....well forget about aftermarket keys. They are bad.

Quick Reply: How do I get the torsion bars out (03)model