replacing sway-bar end link. (Clunking)

Old 05-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cut the extra length of the bolt off.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:18 PM
01 F150 Sway/Stabilizer links.

This thread has been on here for a while but here goes....

Needed to replace upper control arm and lower ball joint on 01 Supercrew F150 4wd. UCA was easy. Ball joints; since this is a 4wd, had to detach sway bar links to remove front axle for access to the ball joint. Took forever to get the link out and had to replace it. While at it I decided I would replace the sway bar link on the passenger side also....no problems removing it.

Driver's side has been installed but I can't get enough of the bold through the lower control arm, rubber bushings, and sway bar to get the nut on to tighten. The truck is on jack stands; attempted to raise the driver side control arm and it immediately lifts the truck off the jack stand....shouldn't the A-arm move w/o lifting the truck? I've tightened the driver's side link down hoping to pull the sway bar closer but it did not help. Any suggestions/ideas?

Hutch

Old 02-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Lil story for y'all.... I noticed a "clunk" under the front end of my 2011 about a month ago and thought it had something to do with the sway bar. Since it is still under warranty I took it to the dealer, where they confirmed my thoughts. They had to order two new sway bar end links and said they would call me when they came in. When I asked why they went bad on a truck with 28,000 miles the service adjustor told me "Well, ya know... They're man-made parts...."

Old 12-25-2014, 05:47 PM
I was under the front end a couple of weeks ago replacing the rotors, pads, bearings, and shocks. I looked at the stabilizer bar and the links. I thought something was weird but figured it was because the weight was off the control arms as the truck was jacked up. I had heard noises but I thought it was the old pads rattling in the calipers...oops!
Wrong again

Today I was changing the oil and I could see the links were just dangling.... I grabbed the bar and was able to move it up and down several inches and the truck was on the ground.
Turns out the link should have 4 bushings and mine had only 1. 3 of the bushings had fallen away on both sides. I haven't changed the links yet but I'm pretty sure that's where the noise is coming from.
I purchased new links and new stabilizer arm bushings at Rock auto. love rock auto....
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...985&cc=1385366
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...031&cc=1385366
Should be here next week....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: replacing sway-bar end link. (Clunking)