Radius Arms

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Radius Arms

Just wondering if anyone would know how hard of a job would it be to replace radius arms for a 1993 F150 4x4. The arms are riveted, not bolted and I don't have a torch. Is there another way to get that part off?

I replaced the bushings once and the new ones cracked, after taking them back off I noticed that the shaft of it it worn out and tapered. I found the radius arms, but just wondering how intensive it would be to change them.

Please list tools needed if possible.

Being that I replaced the bushings once the nuts and such shouldn't be as hard to get off again, they were a son of a gun the first time though.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-16-2005, 03:32 PM
Air hammer...chistel tip.....ear muffs.

If you replace the radius arm bushings, remember to re-use that metal cup on the passenger side. Because the exhaust is so close it burns up the bushing if it is not used. They also make a neoprene bushing that usually won't ever wear out.

You will need to bolt in the new arms....get some good quality bolts.

EDIT: is the radius arm bracket at the frame worn from the radius arm rubbing on it?? These are rivited on too.

Old 07-18-2005, 09:12 AM
what is the radius arm, what does it do, where is it, and what are the symptoms of a worn arm? thanks.

Old 07-18-2005, 06:59 PM
The radius arm is part of the front suspension associated with the older twin-arm/slip axle 4x4 or twin-I beam in 2 wheel trucks. The radius arms travel back from the twin arms/twin I-beam on each side to the frame to keep the front suspension from traveling rearward. There is a bushing where they mount to the frame that can and does wear out. Generally the radius arms don't go bad, but if the bushings are not caught in time the radius arm will gall where it attaches to the frame.

The major flaw in this design was the exhaust was placed too close to the passenger side and burned up the bushing over time.

Symptoms of being bad: poor tracking, clunking, pulling to one side, loss of fine steering contol when cresting a steep hill.

Hope this helps 1idjack......

Old 07-19-2005, 12:53 PM
thanks man. i have a 97 expy 4x4. would my truck be included in the ones with the radius arm?

Old 12-13-2022, 02:04 PM
Hi, I'm in the process of replacing most of the suspension parts on my 1996 f150. The bushings on the driver's side wore out and radius arm ruined the mounting bracket. I bought a new bracket. Should i replace the arm? The arm is solid, but the shaft the bushing goes on did get gulled a little from rubbing on the bracket. Is this ok or should i replace it?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Radius Arms