3/4 drop with only springs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3/4 drop with only springs?

I was just wondering if any one has used this kit from suspension max. It uses a pair of 3" drop coil springs for the front, and I want to know if there is any problems with the ride, being that it's only springs and no lower control arm? I figure the rear would be fine.
Thanks for any help...

Old 09-01-2004, 12:33 PM
I have the BellTech 3/4 with only coils and it rides fine. I rubbed a little w/ 285/50/20's, but other than that is was fine. The only problem i have had was now i want to lift my truck again. So now i have to sell my parts.

Derrick

Old 09-01-2004, 01:01 PM
I have tried cutt stock springs, DJM springs, Belltech Springs, and currently have Suspension Max "Spring Tech 3 inch lowering springs.

The Spring Tech springs are are too "mushy". They do not feel as stiff as stock coil springs. It gave me a perfect lowering in my 99' supercab but they feel too weak, especially going into curves.
The cutt coil springs had a very high spring rate which provided awesome handling, but you need very expensive shocks (QA1s, Konis, etc.) to handle the rebound. The BellTechs gave the best overall performance with standard lowering shocks.

The problem with ANY 3 inch front lowering coil springs is bumpsteer. Due to the geometry/angles of the steering linkage being "outta wack" your toe angles will move in a way that will cause your steering to seem somewhat unstable. The only way to reduce the effect is to use lowering control arms and or a bumpsteer kit (the lightning forum has a thread on the new kits offered).

Although, I could never afford lowering control arms, in the long run, you are better off with them if you want a 3-6 inch front lowering. Since you can replace and grease the upper and lower ball joints, adjust the upper control arm and they come with polyurethane bushings already installed, as well as they reduce the effects of bumpsteer. Western Chassis seems to be the best with DJM being very popular and everyone hating the AIM versions.

Dekm,

If you ever want to sell your belltech 3 inch lowering coil springs very cheap give me an email at jason5761@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: 3/4 drop with only springs?