Steering Obsession Continues......

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Steering Obsession Continues......

Has anybody figured out what is causing the "wandering steering" with a lack of "On-Center" feel? This is a problem that many F150 owners experience. Some times they begin to experience this at 3,000 miles, sometimes at 30,000 or higher.

There is a TSB on our inner and outer tie rod ends. It appears that they can become worn at an accelerated rate. As well as, sometimes, it appears that a bad alignment, tire width or tread pattern, half-shaft, ball joints, worn shocks, wheel bearings, bumpsteer from lowering, or improper steering gear tension adjustment, it being a truck in cross-winds, crowned or rough roads, and or general wear of all steering/suspension parts can contribute to the wandering steering problem.

What I want to know, has anyone figured out if there is a single part that is wearing out at an accelerated rate that, is the root cause of the problem?

I felt the wandering at 40,000 miles when I bought the truck and still have wandering at 108,000 miles. After all that I have done to my truck to reduce this effect, the thing that helped the most so far is, replacing the inner tie-rod ends and idler arm. It made the steering more sensitive and reduced wandering. However, it still wanders some and is still lacking in "on-center" feel. My father's 99' F150 with only about 25,000 miles, does not wander and steering feels firm and on center???????????????

Could the root problem be the steering gear box it self? Can the steering gear box prematurely wear out???????????? The 03' Lightning recieved a re-valved steering gear box for better "on-center" feel and reduced lash (slack). It is still a 14 to 1 constant ratio gear like all late model F150s, but it is re-valved. The only place I can find one is at a dealer. The cheapest price I have found at a dealer is about $500 for the steering gear box with a $200 core charge = $700 + shipping!!!!!!!! .....for a steering gear box

Right now, I am trying to decide whether to get some used upper and lower Chassis Tech 3 inch lowering control arms and replace the control arm bushings and try to install them myself OR I could get a 2003 regular F150 steering gear box for $100 and install that myself

Last edited by iron horse; 01-02-2004 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

What wander? I'm at 102k and it still feels tight with all the original parts. A steering stabilizer helped with potholes, though.,,,,98

Old 01-02-2004, 05:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face

My Ramcharger wanders, but it's also about 18 years old 1/4 inch of play in the tierods......

Old 01-02-2004, 07:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine wandered a little. Today I installed my OE springs, and noticed the upper A-arms ball joints had a knocking sound. I noticed some play in the front end, but never did anything about it. Well new upper A-arms and front shocks went in with the OE springs this morning. Now for an alignment.

I'm selling the truck with 118K on it. Who ever buys it will be getting a good truck.

MK

Old 01-02-2004, 07:43 PM
One of my friends didn't like how his F150 wandered on the highway, even when new. So he had it aligned, and had the shop set the caster set to the maximum allowable. He said it cured the problem to his satisfaction.

Old 01-06-2004, 01:43 PM
Thanks for all your comments. We need more of them.

......got an 03' F150 Steering gear box with less than 5,000 miles on it. It came with the lower half shaft, coupler, and pitman arm as well. It was $100 + $25 core charge. I am going to install it myself. I will report the results.

I already had the lower ball joints, inner tie rod ends and idler arm replaced. The lower ball joint replacement did not improve the steering. However, the inner tie rods and idler arm replacement DID improve the steering.

If the 03'steering gear box, half shaft, coupler and pitman arm does not improve the steering, I want to replace something eles before I go have it re-aligned. At that point, I could replace EITHER OR, the outer tie rod ends and drag link, entire powersteering pump, upper ball joints, wheel bearings, or upper half shaft. The problem is that, I am trying to determine what made my steering wander at only 40,000 miles ( I bought it used with 40,000 miles and it was stock with new tires from dealership).

Old 01-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Let us know if the steering box/linkage helps. I've been fighting the same problem for 2 years and ~ 50,000 miles. New upper and lower control arms/ball joints, front springs, idler arms x 2 (2nd one a MOOG), IAS shocks, Hellwig front and rear sway bars, new tires, 3 alignments, adjusted steering box, checked wheel bearings all to no avail. I've begun to suspect the rear leaf spring bushings. Talk about reaching for straws. Energy Suspension leaf spring bushings on the way.

Good luck

Old 01-08-2004, 03:08 PM
What year model is your truck?

Old 01-08-2004, 04:02 PM
01' Supercrew Lariat, Gen. 1, 4x2, 5.4, built 6/00'. Ordered from the factory.

Old 01-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Thanks, but I was really speaking to iron horse.

Old 01-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by SCREWDINOK
Let us know if the steering box/linkage helps. I've been fighting the same problem for 2 years and ~ 50,000 miles. New upper and lower control arms/ball joints, front springs, idler arms x 2 (2nd one a MOOG), IAS shocks, Hellwig front and rear sway bars, new tires, 3 alignments, adjusted steering box, checked wheel bearings all to no avail. I've begun to suspect the rear leaf spring bushings. Talk about reaching for straws. Energy Suspension leaf spring bushings on the way.

Good luck
Hey! now I know I am not crazy........or we both are! ha! .......Just yesterday, after fighting the crosswinds (even though I have it lowered, front and rear hellwig swaybars, stiff stocks, very stiff front coil springs, lower profile/wider directional tires, hard bed cover) I began to wonder if it may be my rear leaf springs.

After installing the 2 inch lowering hangers (from hell) and the 1 or 2 inch lowering shackles, I would bottom out very hard over the smallest bumps. When compared to my fathers 99' F150 after I lowered it 4 inches in the back, my 4 inch lowering looked more like a 5 inch lowering. So I set mine rear lowering at a 3 inch drop. It looked like my father's 4 inch drop

So, now I am wondering if weak or worn rear leafsprings could also cause wandering

I am trying to find out where to put some clamps on the leaf spring and see if it makes them stiffer or firmer. Then, I would like to determine if stiffer rear leafsprings will REDUCE the wandering.

I will report the effects of the steering gear box/linkage install. Then I am going to replace the outer tie rod ends and the center link and then have it all re-aligned (for the fifth time). I will report those effects as well.

Last edited by iron horse; 01-08-2004 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:47 PM
You are not alone, I still wonder as I wander and ponder what to do!

Old 01-08-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by suds5.4
What year model is your truck?
1999/Ford F-150/Supercab/flareside/4.6/3.55/109,000. However, even when I first bought it with 40,000 miles on it, the truck wandered like crazy. It still wanders, just not as bad.

After all my suspension related mods, the best thing that has helped so far, is the Moog inner tie rods and idler arm replacement

Old 01-08-2004, 05:53 PM
I thought the Ford wandering was a thing of the past (twin I-beams) since they went to the SLA suspension.

Old 01-08-2004, 05:59 PM
I'm serious about having your caster set to the maximum allowable end of the range to reduce wandering on the highway.

My truck is very stable on the Hwy and it is set near the maximum. Max allowable per my last alignment sheet is 7.2 degrees left/up to 7.7 degrees right. Mine is 7.2/7.2. The minimum spec is 5.2 degrees left/5.7degrees right.

Increasing caster is comparable to increasing the steering head angle on a motorcycle. Bike with lots of steering head angle = very stable on the highway, like a chopper. Little head angle = quick steering like a sport bike.

Quick Reply: Steering Obsession Continues......