slide-in camper

Old 03-27-2001, 06:16 PM
sly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post slide-in camper

I want to get a slide-in camper for my 97, F150 SC 4x4 short box 6000gvwr. Has any of you guys put a camper in a F150 if so what where your experiences good or bad. Recommendations certainly appreciated.

sly

Old 03-28-2001, 11:33 AM
You need to put your truck on the scales to find out how much weight of a camper you can carry up to the GVWR. My old 93 F-150 4x4 XLT SC,5.8 shortbed weighed 5,300 lbs. with me in it and my 2001 F-150 4x4 XLT SC, 7700,5.4 weighs 5,500 lbs. Even this limits me to my camper weight of around 2,000 lbs. with passengers etc. I have a feeling even 1,000 lbs. would overweigh your truck.

------------------
Badd Andy

2001 Toreador
F-150 Supercab XLT
7700lb, 5.4L, 4R100
Tow Packg, 3.73
DRL Foglite mod
Headlites Relayed
A/C cutout switch
RS 9000's all around
Bug & Wind deflectors
Dupli-color bed
Lund Premier Tonneau
Short rubber antena
98 ANGLER 8.6 Camper
95 Windstar w/replaced head gasket
97 Susuki Bandit 1200
87 Yamaha XT-350

Old 03-28-2001, 01:15 PM
Thumbs down

hey sly,
I was just looking in my owners manual and came across a folded piece of paper. It references camper's in truck. I have a 2000 ext. cab Lariat 4x4 w/ORP rated at 6500lb. The sheet specifically says that my truck is not capable of carrying a camper. Talks about weight loads and weight centering.
Hope this helps you. Looks like I'll sleep in sleeping bags under my ARE 'Z' series or pay for a room.

------------------
2000 Lariat 4x4 Supercab ORP
Black Clearcoat
Flowmaster 50 series SUV using original tailpipe
K&N Filter
CamLocker Aluminum Toolbox
Tinted Windows
Vent Visors

A.R.E. 'Z' series bed cap

1999 HD Softail Custom
Cobalt Blue
Lowered and Chromed

1995 Long Haired Chihuahua (Best security system on the market)

http://www.harleyrider.webprovider.com/index.htm

http://www.fordharley.com/index.shtml

Old 03-28-2001, 06:36 PM
sly

My truck with myself and full tank of fuel weighs 4,920lbs exactly.

sly

Old 03-28-2001, 08:21 PM
I carry an old camper in my F150. You need to keep it as light as possible. I don't have any holding tanks or fancy options, just a good place to sleep and cook meals plus a handy portajohn. All of the new hardside models are way too heavy, but a popup would do well. Mandatory upgrades would include tires(the weakest link), air springs(i use ride rite), shocks(edelbrock ais are awesome). With all the mods my truck rides and handles the camper very nicely.

Old 03-29-2001, 10:53 AM
My old 93 probably weighed at least 1,000 lbs. over the GVWR with the camper, that's why I got the 7700 package as now I'm probably just under that fully loaded. The 93 took it in stride with air bags and Ranch RS 9000's, but on curves you can feel the weight shift and I was always worried that an axle clip would break.

Old 03-29-2001, 06:03 PM
sly

DougH what year is your F150 and is it Ext cab or regular cab.

thanks guys! much appreciated.

sly

Old 03-29-2001, 07:35 PM
Hello all, Camper stories, I'm ready.

I have an F-250LD 4x4, with all the trimmings, except the lariat leather.

I carry a FourWheel Camper ! The only way to go for F-150's (or any half ton) http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/

They weigh in around 900 lbs for a short box model. My truck has a 2440lb payload capability. With my camper, wife, 2 kids, + gear, we're up to around 1300 - 1500 lbs max.
Not sure what f-150's typical payload cap is.

Mine drives/handles like a cadillac. When I take off the camper - its a sports car!

But I specificly bought a f-250LD with the smaller payload pkg I for this setup. (Rather than payload II, cause when empty, look out, I is a bit STIFF, II is even more stiff - can't image owning a 3/4 HD or 1-ton, their empty ride is, well, park it and walk). Made mine even more acceptable with Velvet-ride Shackles and IAS shocks.

DougH is right. Keep it light! I get away with more, cause I'm an f-250.

However, I have seen many FourWheel Campers on F-150's! In fact, this is the norm. The 4wheel campers guys say I'm one of the few who actually thought about it before buying it. Most just use their 1/2 tons, and live with it - slossy ride/handling. Some get add-a-leaf's. But doable!

HINT: Try to keep your payload (camper, you , gear) at no more than 60% of vehicle max. That way you your well within the 'range' of usefulness. Remember the vehicle maybe "capable" of the max, but when you get there, Your A$$ is DRAG'N. Not much fun to drive in this mode, much less go on vacation.

Hope this helps
FrankP

'98 F-250LD SC 4x4 5.4 E4OD, tow, LS, Superchip, gibson exhaust, K&N FIPK, velvet-ride shackles, edelbrock IAS shocks,
and soon to get rid of stock 245/75r16 and go with 265/75r16 Pirelli Scorpion A/T's on stock (7lug) rims.

Old 03-29-2001, 08:34 PM
Sly,
I have a 99 regular cab. I've also added a rear sway bar and will be adding the superchip once I run out the gas tank and get some premium. I suspect that these new mods will help out even more. The sway bar does make the truck oversteer when it's empty though, but it is more fun to drive that way!

Doug

Old 03-31-2001, 12:56 AM
Just bought a 97 lariat SC 4x4 the other night. Bought a used northstar pop-up camper last week- camper is about 1380# so I am going to be over- but i bought the 150 because the a light duty 250 was too stiff for everyday use-

so i have the same dilemma-I'm going to be over GVWR. i am in Wisconsin and didn't want to buy a new camper- otherwise I wouldhave gone with the 4 wheel camper. MY dilemma- anyone know how to do front tie-down on camper without putting in the happijak tiedowns which require drilling and putting a fitting through the side panel on the box??? i was figuring the camper would work, weight wise- because it came off a DAKOTA- should have pade closer atention to weights. But i DO love the truck.

[This message has been edited by Hilltool (edited 03-31-2001).]

Old 04-01-2001, 12:00 AM
Hi Hilltool, had the same problem trying to find an alternative to "sheet metal mounted" tie downs. Found a source for split frame mounted tie downs for a F150 called Billis RV Equipment MFG Ltd. They are in Kelowna BC Canada, (250)769-4366, FAX 769-7311.

I have the factory receiver installed on my 2001 F150 so I ordered and just received the following kits, 3032 rear, and 3029 front. Without the factory installed receiver, it looks like the 3031 is used on the rear. Combined cost was $140 Canadian through a distributer I have an account with, (less than $100 US).

It is too cold yet to work outside in the garage where I am, but a mock fit up indicated that I will be doing some grinding on some of the brackets that bolt to the frame to increase clearances. Nothing that is scaring me off from doing the bolt on installation myself.

The front mounts mount to the C channel frame with "J" hooks. I am concidering adding my own 3/8" bolt holes to the bracket and through the truck frame to better locate and prevent possible twist/movement of the front mounts.

The rear mounts clamp to the underside of the receiver hitch, with bolts. But I did have to move the factory installed receiver forward to make room for the rear bracket mounting bolts. I also have to notch the top mount plate to clear the rear bumper mount brackets. Nothing a grinder will not take care of.

I hope to have the brackets mounted by the end of April. I will post how it went.

[This message has been edited by Yaroslow (edited 03-31-2001).]

Old 04-02-2001, 12:49 AM
sly

Hi Hilltool,

Can you tell me how much your back bumper goes down when you have the camper on compared to no camper. That will give me a good idea what I'm up against. Also pics would be nice but if you're like me and have no access to digital camera oh well!

thanks very much

sly

Old 04-02-2001, 07:54 PM
Unhappy

Sly- (and BaddANDY and Yaroslo)-

I won't be getting to it for at least a week. Weather is chilly hear in Wisconsin, also, and I need to add some lumber to the bottom of the camper to get it to clear my cab-

BAddANDY- what or how are you tying that 7700 payload down with? If you went with the happijaks- how do they look?

Yaroslow- thanks for the info and I will check with them- if you get your mounted in the mean time-let us know. On another site they are talking about a "belly bar" but I'm not sure who makes them- possibly tork lift.- p.s. sly- my weight came to 5400 hundred with a full tank- I 'm not THAT fat-so I wonder where the extra weight is coming from if we both have 97's???

Old 04-03-2001, 01:08 PM
I use the Happijaks. I had them on the old truck also. They mount to the rear bumper and lower side of the front bed. I put them on myself, took about an hour. The kit for the truck comes with the mounts and loops. The turnbuckles are a seperate kit. I use some chain also as the hook ends aren't long enough, but you can order longer ones for extra. A cheaper alternative is to by turnbuckes at the hardware store which is acceptable.

Old 04-04-2001, 07:41 PM
sly
Hilltool,

My brother in law is a big boss at city dump where I had my truck weighed.
I would say that these scales are pretty accurate as they are checked on a regular basis by Ministry of Transport and calibrated as required if not they are fined heavily. My truck did weigh 4,920 canadian pounds hey!! I also read in 4wheeler magazine on a test that same truck in the test report weighed 4,950 pounds which is close.

let me know when you find out the sag on your truck with camper.

P.S. did not think a simple question like this would generate that many posts. But I must admit that the info is invaluable keep it coming. (I did bite on the April fools membership prank good one indeed)

Thank you all!

sly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: slide-in camper