slide-in camper

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2001, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

sly!

This is nothing. Go to irv2.com and check into the "slide-in" forum . You'll find a long history of my dilemmas as well as everybody elses.

I do believe Imperial pounds are the same as US pounds-are they not??
Who knows- maybe my leather weights more than i thought.---A guy at irv2 told me about "belly bars"- which are an underframe mount. I don't know if this is what Yaroslow is talking about- I get the sense it isn't. so---that is another possibility. I found them at - Hijacker hitches, I think. Out of British Columbia. You can run Belly Bar in a search engine and find it.

Old 04-15-2001, 06:15 PM
Exclamation

SLY-

Set the camper on the truck on Friday. I just set it there-did't move it anywhere-because i still don't have tie downs. --but just SITTINGthere- it didn't sink much. In other words-not very noticeable. I have decided, none-the-less -to install the Firestone air springs, eventually. I think this will give me extra support while still allowing me the option of a soft ride when camper is off. i'm waiting to see how Yaroslow did with the tie down installation.

Hilltool

Old 04-16-2001, 08:47 AM
sly

Thank you very much Hilltool,

Keep me posted on drivebility. What is your GVWR on your spec plate to make sure we are comparing the same or similar vehicle.

P.S. Are you going to have your truck weighted again with camper on. (remember difference on our actual empty weights at the scale)

Thanks!

sly

Old 04-16-2001, 08:49 AM
sly
Hilltool last thing. Thanks for link to excellent site (irv2) I read all posts, I'm just not registered yet to post.

sly

Old 04-16-2001, 11:38 AM
Sly-

My GVWR is 6000. i've seen some vehicles of a similar configuration at 6200 and 6500. Obviously-a change in components somewhere. I should be around 1000 over when all is said and done but most mechanics are telling me they are not too worried- and I am hearing the same from others that use the f-series trucks for hauling and work. Even at irv2.com-you'll notice the guys with the 350s are running as much as 2000 over.

Hilltool

Old 04-17-2001, 12:42 AM
What are those campers that are very plain, I see lots of people using them but no idea who makes or sells them, they are a typical cabover, few if any windows, all white and are pretty much stripped on the inside. It would be perfect for my once a year hunting trip.

Old 04-17-2001, 11:32 PM
Hard to say just what you are referring to. the lightweight slide-in campers that are pop-ups have a low profile. When parked-you crank a canvas sided top upward to give you sleeping room over the cab. When on the road and in down position-they are only six -eight inches above cab. Many mfgs make them- the lightest and most rugged and stripped down are made by an outfit called fourwheelcampers. (fourwheelcampers.com) other makes include Northstar and Starcraft and a few others. Run an internet search on truck campers and look for the pop-ups. Another pop-up model, but hard sided-is Alaska Campers. these are heavier units, though. Good luck

Hilltool

Old 04-22-2001, 10:57 AM
Just finished reworking and installing the split camper mounts from Billis RV Equipment Mfg Ltd.

Took alot of grinding to get them to fit with clearances I was comfortable with. Also changes all the hardware to grade 5 zinc plated, and added four holes and bolts to the front mounts. Was not to sure of the J bolts preventing the mount from pivoting.

In the end, I am happy with them. They are stiff, do not hang down any lower than the exhaust, and tuck in under the body without the extensions installed.

I took a couple of digital images. If you want to see what they look like, let me know your email address, or how I can post it on this message board.

Old 04-22-2001, 11:03 AM
CABIN

Old 04-22-2001, 05:04 PM
Talking

Yaroslow...Hooray!---I think. I'd love to see them- feel free to Email me at : Hilltool@aol.com or go ahead and post them. I did order a set- My problem is running boards- so it remains to be seen if i can mount them so they miss the boards ( even with rear of extended cab) or I'll have to remove boards. Your need to re-tool this extensively has me a little nervous but I was sort of expecting it. I only got the fronts-and haven't received them yet, and had a hell of time chasing those down. But i dearly appreciate your info. on them to start with. Any more detail on just WHAT you did may prove helpful - so feel free, or if you want to Email me YOUR email address maybe i can shoot off a question once i get into it. Thanks,again, for being the guinea pig ---

Hilltool

[This message has been edited by Hilltool (edited 04-22-2001).]

Old 04-22-2001, 10:05 PM
Hi Hilltool,

Check your email for the images and list of mods I made.

I posted the mods for others to see in the "Towing & Hauling" forum. If someone provides me with instructions, I can also post the images.

On another subject, I just finished installing AirLift 59501 suspension air bags. Fairly straight forward installation and great instructions. But one instruction for relocating a hole on the driver's side seemed to be the opposite of what was required, and what I ended up doing. Only increased the normal ride height by 1/8 inch measured at the axle at 10 psi (plate to plate inside distance of 9.38 inches). Do not even know they are there, rides like before.

Happy camping.

Old 04-23-2001, 07:22 PM
sly
Hi Yarslow!

Please send me the info and pics at Extf150@AOL.com

Thanks for sharing the info!

Hilltool I'm waiting for your feed back once you get your set done.

sly

Old 04-24-2001, 10:40 PM
Hi Sly,

Check your email for the images and mod descriptions.

Old 04-25-2001, 05:26 PM
Thumbs up

Yaroslow- Got your description and i thank you very much. The pictures didn't come through or didn't download correctly-but that is ok. i'm sure the rest will be more obvious once my mounts arrive- and they haven't, yet. At any rate- i really appreciate what you sent. By the way-any particular reason you decided on the air-lifts over the Firestones? just curious-----

SLY

When I get it and get it put together I'll let you know..... the weather is getting nice here and I'm anxious to load up and hit the road. I might go ahead and get the air springs and install them while i'm waiting for the tie-downs-it doesn't sound like there is any conflict between them and the tie downs from what yaroslow has described.

Hilltool

[This message has been edited by Hilltool (edited 04-25-2001).]

Old 04-25-2001, 06:12 PM
Hi Hilltool,

The only reason for going with AirLift in stead of Firestone is that Firestone has no dealer with stock within 1500 miles of my 700,000 population city so I would have had to pay $60 in shipping. Airlift had a local dealer with the right kit in stock.

I will send the images on their own. Hopefully that will work. Note that the instructions and the images are jpeg format.

Slow

[This message has been edited by Yaroslow (edited 04-25-2001).]

Quick Reply: slide-in camper