Too much torsion bar lift?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 03:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much torsion bar lift?

I lifted the front of my 2000 Expy 4wd using the torsion bar cranking procedure. A buddy of mine was asking about this procedure so I was digging around looking for the link and I found a bunch of other stuff about overtensioning and CV joint longevity problems. I never did take a starting measurement and I used a rachet with a cheater bar to move the bolt so I don't know how many turns I cranked the bolts down. I just kept making small changes and remeasuring until I got level front to rear and left to right.

How do I know if I went too far. Am I causing premature wear on the CV joints and other componants?

Old 08-19-2003, 06:01 PM
It depends how much you adjusted them. The CVs operate in a certain degree range and if you go outside that range the joint gets over worked and it will wear out faster. If you didn't adjust it a whole lot then you're probably ok. The thing you don't wanna do is tighten them down all the way. You said you were using a cheater bar, did you have the front of the truck jacked up or was it sitting on the ground? You're ahead to put it on a jack when you do this as opposed to adjusting them on the ground.

Old 08-20-2003, 01:07 AM
Hey Powerstroke,

Thanks for the info !

I went back underneath the Expedition today and backed off the torsion bars a bit. I jacked up the front with my floor jack as you recommended and things went a whole lot smoother.

I am darn close to level still and the adjustment bolts on the torsion bars still have a good amount of upward adjustment left in them. The left side has about 5 threads showing on the bolt or appx 1/2 in and the right is showing a good solid 3/4 of an inch protruding downward.

My guess would be with that much adjustment remaining I should be ok.

Do you agree?

Thanks Again.....

Old 08-20-2003, 03:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
make sure to take it to the shop and get an alignment. the tires will wear on the outside very quickly. tell them to adjust the toe...

Old 08-25-2003, 01:52 PM
kev
You will be fine but yes get an alignment.

I leveled out my 99 F150 a month after I bought it by cranking the bars to get a 7/8" lift on the front so that the ride height was equal. I now have 70k miles on the truck and have had no problems to date, knock on wood.

Yes it is a good idea to raise the truck off the ground when you crank the bars.

And that is about the same remaining adjustment I have left on mine.

Good luck,
kev

Quick Reply: Too much torsion bar lift?