Coil Spacers = Cheap lift??? Please help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2000, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Coil Spacers = Cheap lift??? Please help...

Okay, question for all of you suspension guru's out there. I have been thinking about this since I heard about ccla using the 1" coil spacer. What is to keep me from putting two of those on each side (above and below the coil), longer shocks, and the adjustable caster/camber. It seems to me like this would leave me with the stock coils (thus getting around the harsher ride that seems to come with longer coils), and I should still get a "leveling kit" effect on my truck. Can someone tell me either that this is a good idea, or what I am missing that makes this an idea that just won't work? Thanks.

------------------
2000 F150 Black XLT "Sport", SC, SB, 4.2L, 5 Speed, 3.55LS, factory soft tonneau, keyless entry
Mods - JVC CD Player w/ Infinity and JBL Speakers, Permatech Spray in Bedliner
Coming Soon - Factory Fog Lights, Leveling Kit, Step Bars, Bug Guard, K&N, etc, etc...

Old 02-29-2000, 10:13 AM
Well Two of them seems like a lot to me. As my truck sits now I still need longer shocks and I need to do the adjustable Cam kit. ( I went to the dealer to get the kit, Those morons sold me Two bolts and I need 4. ) The ride is gonna be stiffer because of a couple of reasons. 1st: The coil is the same size but, the overall distance between the A-arms is greater. This causes the travel to be smaller. You're more likely to feel bumps cause the suspension can't give as much to compensate. On the other end when yo hit a hole the tire would normally go down and follow the ground but since you're closer to being fully extended it won't go down that far and will bottom out.

Okay so thats One Big reason, not a couple.

I did do the 1" coil spacers and I'm happy for right now.
Until I manage to get the Fabtech Kit and "Fix" the suspension. The Only reason I used the spacers was I orederd rims and tires and when we were done with the Body lift I had $1200.00 worth of 35's that wouldn't fit.

I wouldn't recommend using more than 1 spacer on each side cause all of the things I listed above are true about my truck to a point. Adding a second spacer would only compound the matter

Thats my .02

------------------
98 F150 2WD,Bright Red, Regular Cab, 4.2, 3.55, 5 Speed, Superchip, 2 Superchip Decals (I Think They Add 5 HP Each), 3 Inch Bullseye Lift Spindles, 3" Body Lift, 1" Coil Spacers, 3" Blocks In Rear,Manik Grill Guard,Nerf Bars, Vent Visors,Air Box Mod, Fog Lights Mounted In Front Air Dam ,4 Kc DayLighters, Back Up Lights, Alpine CD Player, 2 Kenwood Amps, 10 Inch MTX Blue Thunder SubWoofer, Tinted Windows. 35" BFGOODRICH ALL TERRAIN KO'S Mounted on 16.5x9.75 American Racing Baja Rims

..........."IF YOU CAN'T STOP, SMILE AS YOU GO UNDER"...........

'00 Toyota Celica GT( Wife's Car )

Pics @ http://www.angelfire.com/la2/ccla/

[This message has been edited by ccla (edited 02-29-2000).]

Old 02-29-2000, 05:08 PM
thanks ccla, I was only thinking of compression on the spring, not the other way around. I *knew* there had to be a reason people didn't do that. But, under that same logic, wouldn't the leveling kit suck just as much (ie, still not enough room for the a-arm to travel?)

------------------
2000 F150 Black XLT "Sport", SC, SB, 4.2L, 5 Speed, 3.55LS, factory soft tonneau, keyless entry
Mods - JVC CD Player w/ Infinity and JBL Speakers, Permatech Spray in Bedliner
Coming Soon - Factory Fog Lights, Leveling Kit, Step Bars, Bug Guard, K&N, etc, etc...

Old 02-29-2000, 05:18 PM
Talking

Good point, I know thats why they only sell the leveling kit for the Excabs. The Reg Cabs lift too much and top out the A-arms.

Now I dont know about the Excabs, with the way the leveling kit works in theory the spacers should work. When we did the spacers we were concerned with the Coil Spring Flying out because its not sitting down inside the A-arm as much.

With the price of the leveling kit being $199 for shocks and all I'd just assume get that and be safe, Ya know?
Maybe the leveling kit's springs have a different spring rate or are progressive or something to make up the difference

Still I wonder though

[This message has been edited by ccla (edited 02-29-2000).]

Old 02-29-2000, 08:19 PM
CCLA-Does the alignment go back to within specs after the 1" spacer is installed?

------------------
1997 F150, Reg. cab.,2wd, 4.2 V6, Stepside.

Mods so far: Toolbox, CB Radio, Tint, K&N filter, Kenwood MASK CD Player.

Very soon: Body Lift, Coil spacers?, 285/75/16 BFG AT's

Old 02-29-2000, 11:12 PM
I haven't aligned it yet. I still need to get the other 2 cam bolts. Once I get those, i'm pretty sure it will. If its even out of alignment now. It tracks better now than before so.....

Old 02-29-2000, 11:25 PM
Keep us all posted on how the alignment goes would you CCLA? Im interested to see if the cam bolts will be needed. Thanks

Quick Reply: Coil Spacers = Cheap lift??? Please help...