Lift questions from a newbie...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2000, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lift questions from a newbie...

Howdy all, just picked up at '97 4x2 F-150 Supercab. For appearance purposes only, I'd like to lift it and add somewhat larger wheels/tires of the "all-terrain" type.

Trying to decipher the difference between suspension lifts (ie Fabtech), body-lifts, spindle lifts, etc. Very confused! Don't want to spend a fortune.

Also, I like the AR Outlaw rims. When lifted, what size/type of tire and rim is recommended.

Many thanks in advance!
Gary

Old 02-01-2000, 07:19 PM
Talking

ALRIGHT EVERYBODY STAND BACK, Let The Expert Talk

Crazey: you have 3 options. The First Two are considered Suspension lifts. The Last Option is a Body Lift.

First : Spindle Lift - You Replace the Factory Spindle With one from Bullseye industries. Lifts front 3". You'll also need to lift the rear An inch or so with Blocks. Mine cost around $600.00 and took like 5-6 hours to do. Pretty easy in my opinion.

Second : A-Arm Lift- Replace the Factory Coil Springs and Upper A-Arms. Two Companies I know of make them. One is Fabtech motorsports, the second is California Super Trucks. Lifts the front 3.5". You'd need to lift the rear also. Blocks again. Cost- between $800-$1000. Depending on where you get. ( Cheapest I've seen is Summit racing ) I dont have this one ( YET )so I cant give any details on instalation time or ease.

Third: Body Lift- Lifts the body off the frame either 2" or 3" depending on which kit you buy. I have the performance products 3" lift. Not installed yet. Cost- $130.00. Install time- I've heard it takes like 12-15 hours and Is a total pain.

In Conclusion : You can use any of these lifts indepentantly or in conjunction with any other componet. Mix And Match or do all 3 for 9.5" of lift. The Spindles or A-arms will allow for 33's.

Any More ?'s ?

------------------
98 F150 2WD,Bright Red, Regular Cab, 4.2, 3.55, 5 Speed, Superchip, 2 Superchip Decals (I Think They Add 5 HP Each), 3 Inch Bullseye Lift Spindles, Manik Grill Guard,Nerf Bars, Vent Visors,Air Box Mod, Fog Lights Mounted In Front Air Dam ,2 Kc DayLighters, Back Up Lights, Alpine CD Player, 2 Kenwood Amps, 10 Inch MTX Blue Thunder SubWoofer, Tinted Windows. And Coming Soon: 3 Inch Body Lift Kit, 16.5 x 9.75 American Racing Baja Wheels Wrapped With 35x12.5x16.5 BFG All Terrains

'00 Toyota Celica GT( Wife's Car )

Pics @ http://www.angelfire.com/la2/ccla/

Old 02-02-2000, 12:16 AM
There are some real good threads out there on this..check out some of the other threads by searching for body lift or suspension lift. I have a 3" Performance Access. Body Lift and I love it...cost me $120 plus about 15 hours of pain to install. Looks good in my opinion. You just need to decide what you need...I didn't need a suspension lift as I don't go off road...my lift was for cosmetic only. I posted something mid month in Jan after i did it...that thread has a lot of discussions on both types of lift for 2wds.

Good luck!

------------------
1997 Arctic White F-150 XLT Flareside SC, K&N, Magnaflow muffler, Air Box mods, Bugflector II, Soft Tonneau Cover, Chrome Westin Bars, 3" Performance Accessories Body Lift, tinted windows

Flares Rule!!!!!

Old 02-02-2000, 01:20 PM
One thing you must remember, If you plan on doing a lot of hauling or pulling, a body lift is not for you. The body lift will put more space between the frame and the body wich will cause you to lose strength! If you just use your truck for driving and light hauling, then price wise it would be the way to go!

------------------
1999 F-250LD 4X4 XLT Supercab SB, 5.4L, AT, 3.73LS, 33"Wrangler ATS, Dual Exhaust, custom air intake, Color: Harvest Gold cc "Ready to Farm"

Old 02-02-2000, 11:18 PM
funkster,
Does what you stated making a difference if you are hauling stuff attached to your truck with a receiver hitch instead of bumper mount?

------------------
1998 F150 XLT Reg. Cab, STX, White, 4.2 v6, 4x2, K&N, 3.55, Manik grill gaurd, **** Cepek 100 watt driving lamps, Kenwood mask CD-player, drop hitch, Ford hitch insert, 16x8 Atlas rims w/ 285/75/16 BFG All-Terrains KO all on a 3 inch bullseye spindles. Looks like a serious truck now

Old 02-03-2000, 03:22 PM
The body lift will not impact towing with a frame mounted receiver hitch. The body lift includes moving the bumper so the bumper is no longer rated for towing. The kit even has a warning to this effect. (one of the about 20 or so disclaimers they place in the instructions...lawyers....)

You also have to install frame to bed gap spacers as well and I would be very hesitant to carry a really heavy load in my bed.

But listen to ccla, he is indeed the guru as to the different types of lift...but I have begun to wonder if he's scared or something 'cause he's got the body lift and hasn't installed it yet...it ain't that bad to do....(if you like to spend your whole weekend loooking a reject from a oil pit that is.... chuckle chuckle)

------------------
1997 Arctic White F-150 XLT Flareside SC, K&N, Magnaflow muffler, Air Box mods, Bugflector II, Soft Tonneau Cover, Chrome Westin Bars, 3" Performance Accessories Body Lift, tinted windows

Flares Rule!!!!!

Old 02-03-2000, 03:29 PM
I'm Waiting for my 35's to get here.
I ordered on Monday. 4wheelparts had a prob with one of the rims. Will prob see them next thurs or friday.
I also updated the sig

------------------
98 F150 2WD,Bright Red, Regular Cab, 4.2, 3.55, 5 Speed, Superchip, 2 Superchip Decals (I Think They Add 5 HP Each), 3 Inch Bullseye Lift Spindles, Manik Grill Guard,Nerf Bars, Vent Visors,Air Box Mod, Fog Lights Mounted In Front Air Dam ,2 Kc DayLighters, Back Up Lights, Alpine CD Player, 2 Kenwood Amps, 10 Inch MTX Blue Thunder SubWoofer, Tinted Windows. 3 Inch Body Lift Kit Is Here And I've Ordered the 16.5 x 9.75 American Racing Baja Wheels Wrapped With 35x12.5x16.5 BFG All Terrains So When They Get Here I'll Be Having Fun That Weekend

'00 Toyota Celica GT( Wife's Car )

Pics @ http://www.angelfire.com/la2/ccla/

[This message has been edited by ccla (edited 02-03-2000).]

Quick Reply: Lift questions from a newbie...