35's and a 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 35's and a 4.6

Has anyone put 35's on their truck with a 4.6 and not regear the diffs? How is the accleration with out gears? Also, can get away with just a body lift to clear the 35's. I would like to see pictures of any.

Old 04-11-2003, 09:11 PM
I have that setup (4.6L, 35s, 3.55 gears) on my 97. I'd show pictures but I can't link them here thanks to wonderful management/grudge

Best thing I can tell ya....................DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!! Yes it does look cool, but its absolute hell on everything. Since I put them on my steering, specifically my drag link) is shot ($100 part), sped up my front wheel bearing assemblies going out, worsened the suspension bushings going bad, and last but not least 2, count em 2 tranny rebuilds. My truck is in the shop for the 2nd rebuild since June. 1st one hit at 63k, this one at 74k, wonderful huh? Oh yeah, power absolutely blows on this thing. If you're going up hills or fighting ANY wind at all put it in drive cause overdrive is worthless. Also get ready for it to kick in and out of overdrive at the slightest hill. Oh yeah, can't forget, if you have to tow ANYTHING you might as well hook it to a Geo Metro and let that pull it cause its gonna have more nuts pulling a trailer than the F150 would. Bottom line, its gonna be a pooch, your mileage will go down to around 10mpg, you'll wear out your entire front end and possibly more expensive things due to all the extra strain, and can't tow anything. But hey this is a poser website so who cares about all that stuff, as long as it LOOKS COOL!!!

Hind sight being 20/20 no way in hell would I have ever put this setup on my F150. Just wish I had the brains back then to not do it and realize what I know now. I'd take the body lift back out but it was such a pita its gonna stay in there.

Old 04-11-2003, 10:06 PM
And that is why it is best to re-gear to at least 4.10's. And I myself ahte body lifts and it is obvious that now someone else on here does as well. Powerstroke why Don't you have a gallery with all your pictures? Also that is just more proof as to how weak the tranny is that comes with the 4.6 it just isnt designed to handle that kind of load.

Richard D.

WHILE YOUR HERE CHECK OUT MY GALLERY:
https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=2479

Old 04-12-2003, 03:11 AM
If you're going to run 35s, go with 4.56 gears, forget the 4.10 stuff. 4.56 will put you back to just deeper than stock with 35s. I've never been a big fan of body lifts, its just its cheaper by far the the alternative. Suspension is always superior to body lifts (except for Whiplash and all the other 10"+ lifts). If you're just going to cruise around and be a pavement pounder then a body lift is a decent alternative. The big conclusion that I was getting at in my last post as Richard said is if you're going to do it, wait till you have the cash for gears. Sad thing is that the same auto that is behind the 4.6L is the same alot of 5.4L had. From what I've seen have the same 4R70W that the 4.6L had. Some got the 4R100 though.

I don't have a gallery here since I have all my pictures at Ford Truck World. I don't really see the idea of keeping 2 gallerys. I have one here but its just to upload pictures so I can post here. They galleries there aren't able to be linked outside the site due to bandwidth issues since the site has gotten so big. Also last time I tried to put a link to a thread over here from there Steve still had the filters on to block out anything with that website name on it. Guess its all over a grudge or something from back when the sites were formed.

Old 04-12-2003, 01:54 PM
Like i had said at LEAST 4.10's which meant nothing less and preferably like you said the 4.56's I am not to sure about what year trucks with the 5.4 got the 4r70w. I know the first year that got the 5.4 which was 97 those trucks got the E4OD then in i believ 99 they switched it over to the 4R100..

Mayeb you could send me the link to your truck at my e-mail
F1504RAD@aol.com

Richard D.

Old 04-12-2003, 03:02 PM
Well IMO, 4.10s is an ok start but still too high a gear ratio for that setup. I'd say 4.30 or deeper ratios. The 4.30 I know you can get for the 8.8, but don't know if its available for the 9.75 or the reverse rotation 8.8 IFS. But basically you need to regear to run that setup. Alot of people I know have it with few to no problems, but most have the 5.4L. Anyhow if anyone really wants to see the pictures just look in the galleries at (lets see if the filter is still on or not) www.fordtruckworld.com/powerstroke73

Old 04-12-2003, 03:04 PM
Holy Crap!!!!! Its turned off!!!

Old 04-13-2003, 08:41 PM
Cool Nice Truck

powerstroke73, Nice truck and thanks for the pics. Looks pretty cold there!! I'm in Florida and only like snow to ski on!!

Old 04-14-2003, 12:42 PM
Schreiebercaln could you please tell me exactly how the winch plate mounts up ? Does it mount to the two holes in the Manik brush guard and/or inside where it mounts to the frame any pics you have of this would be very helpful for me since I have some places telling me my Manik will accept the winch mount and others telling me it won't. Also it appears as though Manik has only given the plate a rating for an 8000lbs winch so did you give it some extra bracing or is it all stock to work with the 9500? And what are Heavy Duty Torsion Bars and where did you get them?

Richard D.

Old 04-14-2003, 07:58 PM
Cool Winch

Richard, Yes, the plate mounts to the 2 bolt holes on each side of the brushguard. Give me an hour or so and I'll go take some pics for you. I've not had any problem with the mount or strength, but I've only pulled a Jeep Cherokee and a Jeep CJ out of the mud so far. It looks pretty darn strong. The heavy duty torsion bars are from the Ford snow plow package (7700 lb GVW) and give me more support up front, especially with the winch and its extra weight. They are a spring code 7 and their part numbers are: F75Z5B326-KB (right side) and F75Z5B327-KB (left side). They were $60 each. Also, you can crank the front end up more too and I doubt you'll ever break them. As you look at them next to your stock ones, they're much thicker and the ride quality is still great. I'll write back shortly. Steve

Old 04-14-2003, 08:02 PM
Cool Winch

Richard, I have pics, what is your email address? Mine is schreiberclan@attbi.com Steve

Old 04-14-2003, 10:09 PM
Steve did you do the torsion bar install yourself or have it done when you had the lift installed?

Richard D. F1504RAD@aol.com

Old 04-14-2003, 10:28 PM
Cool Torsion Bars

I had the bubbas do it for me whaen they did the recent mods, but it wasn't too hard to do. I know some guys that have done them themselves. They had to do a little work taking part of the front end apart to get them in and out. Steve

Old 04-14-2003, 10:38 PM
I think there is actually a special tool that takes the load off the spring for removal.

Richard D.

Old 04-14-2003, 11:09 PM
Cool Torsion Bars

Richard, There is no list, not even the Ford engineers had one to decipher what Spring code equals what GVWR. Pretty unbelievable, but I spent a day at the Ford Dealership 6 months ago and went truck to truck to decipher the code versus the GVWR and came up with my own partial list. In the end, I didn't need the list because the Ford Engineers told me that the heaviest duty torsion bars were on their snow plow F-150 package. I then got the code and part number for these and ordered them. Steve

Quick Reply: 35's and a 4.6