To the garbage the rancho's go.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the garbage the rancho's go.

So after the stock rear shocks started leaking I put in some rancho rs9000's, well here at about 10,000 miles roughly on them, they have gone bad. I liked them while they were working but they sure didn't last very long. Got my new bilsteins in today, hopefully I'll get better mileage out of these....

Old 02-17-2016, 01:14 PM
Former Sponsor
What went wrong with them?
What was the PN by chance?
And you know about our warranty?

http://www.gorancho.com/warranty-guarantee/

Good luck

Originally Posted by fx4freak
So after the stock rear shocks started leaking I put in some rancho rs9000's, well here at about 10,000 miles roughly on them, they have gone bad. I liked them while they were working but they sure didn't last very long. Got my new bilsteins in today, hopefully I'll get better mileage out of these....

Old 02-17-2016, 01:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rather than bash them on a public forum, I would have inquired about their warranty. I know they have a good one. Everyone else seems to have great luck with their products and they seem to be more than helpful when it comes to replacing stuff even if you used the wrong part.

What exactly went wrong with them?

Old 02-17-2016, 01:29 PM
I'm not bashing them, all I said was, "I liked them while they were working but they sure didn't last very long", so this is bashing, really.......

Old 02-17-2016, 01:38 PM

I'm not bashing them, all I said was, "I liked them while they were working but they sure didn't last very long", so this is bashing, really.......
You're right, bashing wasn't a good word to use. However, I would have talked to them first before spending money on billsteins. I'm sure they would have set you up with something great.

How'd they fail? Do you go off road a lot?

Old 02-17-2016, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
Rather than bash them on a public forum, I would have inquired about their warranty. I know they have a good one. Everyone else seems to have great luck with their products and they seem to be more than helpful when it comes to replacing stuff even if you used the wrong part.

What exactly went wrong with them?
Even If I used the wrong part? well I talked to rancho prior to purchase so......yeah. Seems to me your the only one trying to bash people.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:46 PM

Even If I used the wrong part? well I talked to rancho prior to purchase so......yeah. Seems to me your the only one trying to bash people.
Did you see my last reply? I stated it might not have been the correct word to use. Am I bashing you? Not at all. Not sure where that's coming from. Let's be adults about this, please.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:34 PM
You insinuated it was my fault cause I got the wrong part. But anyway, not worth getting mad over so lets all just forget I brought up this topic and move on.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:36 PM

You insinuated it was my fault cause I got the wrong part. But anyway, not worth getting mad over so lets all just forget I brought up this topic and move on.
I brought up that it was possible. I wasn't calling you dumb or saying you absolutely got the wrong part. I've read many threads on here of people getting the wrong part.

Anyway, I appogize if I offended you, that was not my intent. Things can come across the wrong way via text.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:45 PM
Former Sponsor
My 2 cents, I always ask what the PN is because I like to cover all bases.
I always mention the warranty, so if you want, you can get the shocks and never use them and sell them....
I am here to help, if needed.
Matt

Old 02-17-2016, 03:51 PM
It was actually kinda odd, I had pulled the truck in the back garage at work because it was only about 5-10 degrees out, and wanted to adjust my headlights and wash the salt off. When I was on the way home I noticed the rear end bounce more then usual, I thought maybe stuff just wasn't as stiff since it had been in warm garage all day, but the more I drove the more I starting thinking something was wrong, so I pulled off the driver side rear, pushed it down and it had no rebound at all, it stayed totally compressed. I'll check the other side tonight. Due to my distance to work and going out of town every weekend ice fishing this time of year, I was kinda in a hurry to get a replacement.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:21 PM
Former Sponsor
Did it rebound slowly over time?
These are a low gas charge, so don't rebound as fast as a high gas charged shock (think monotube or even our RS5000X)

It was actually kinda odd, I had pulled the truck in the back garage at work because it was only about 5-10 degrees out, and wanted to adjust my headlights and wash the salt off. When I was on the way home I noticed the rear end bounce more then usual, I thought maybe stuff just wasn't as stiff since it had been in warm garage all day, but the more I drove the more I starting thinking something was wrong, so I pulled off the driver side rear, pushed it down and it had no rebound at all, it stayed totally compressed. I'll check the other side tonight. Due to my distance to work and going out of town every weekend ice fishing this time of year, I was kinda in a hurry to get a replacement.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:23 PM
Well I pulled off the other side also, but no neither one had any rebound at all, I pushed them down and both would just stay completely compressed. Working in the powersports industry I have rebuilt shocks on snowmobiles that are charged with nitrogen, and my best way to describe how these felt is when a sled shock needs to be recharged. I know usually on a sled shock if they get a little water in them they feel more spongy, but these actually didn't really feel that way. I also thought I maybe heard an air leak somewhere on the body on the end where the adjustment **** is but I didn't notice any fluid coming out, if these have all the valving like sled shocks do I may have just been hearing that. The one I pulled off had some water in the boot, but the other one was pretty dry, but they both seemed to be in about the same condition. It was just so weird that over the course of a day in a warm garage they both stopped working, my only guess right now is that if they did get a little water by the seals they may have already been bad and with the cold winter weather maybe they were partially froze up enough to the point I didn't notice but after being in the warm garage they thawed out. I usually always keep an eye on that stuff closer but it can be more difficult in the winter months. I'll take them to work tomorrow and let them warm up and see how they feel and inspect them closer.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:42 AM
Former Sponsor
I e-mailed my engineer too.

Well I pulled off the other side also, but no neither one had any rebound at all, I pushed them down and both would just stay completely compressed. Working in the powersports industry I have rebuilt shocks on snowmobiles that are charged with nitrogen, and my best way to describe how these felt is when a sled shock needs to be recharged. I know usually on a sled shock if they get a little water in them they feel more spongy, but these actually didn't really feel that way. I also thought I maybe heard an air leak somewhere on the body on the end where the adjustment **** is but I didn't notice any fluid coming out, if these have all the valving like sled shocks do I may have just been hearing that. The one I pulled off had some water in the boot, but the other one was pretty dry, but they both seemed to be in about the same condition. It was just so weird that over the course of a day in a warm garage they both stopped working, my only guess right now is that if they did get a little water by the seals they may have already been bad and with the cold winter weather maybe they were partially froze up enough to the point I didn't notice but after being in the warm garage they thawed out. I usually always keep an eye on that stuff closer but it can be more difficult in the winter months. I'll take them to work tomorrow and let them warm up and see how they feel and inspect them closer.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:14 PM
After letting them warm up today, the one appeared to have a small puddle underneath it with a mixture of water and susp. fluid. One felt like it had ok pressure but the other seemed like it had some water in it. It also seemed like both at the very least had a slight bit of air getting by the seal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To the garbage the rancho's go.