SuperCrew

Rancho 9000

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rancho 9000

I'm thinking of buying a set of the Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks for my 4x4 SCrew. Right now Rancho has a buy 3 get 1 free deal and 4wheelparts.com has free shipping so I figure I can get all 4 for around $210 with no shipping and no tax. My question is has anyone changed the shocks out themselves? How hard is it and do I need any special tools? Also any comments from owners of these shocks on a SCrew.

Thanks

Cajun

Old 04-27-2002, 08:12 PM
if you did your other mods you should be able to do it it is pretty easy

Old 04-28-2002, 12:52 AM
cajunscrew-
I’ve had the Rancho 9000’s on my truck for about 5000 miles now. They do ride better than the stock Heavy Duty shocks that came with the truck (I’ve got the tow package & ORP). But I cannot tell you specifically how much better they ride than the stock because I got new 33 muds at the same time, but I am happy with them so far. The tire shop I bought the shocks from installed them for $15 so I’m not sure how the easy/hard the install is. The trained professionals made it look really easy. Good luck.

Old 04-28-2002, 02:48 PM
The shocks aren't that tough but I would have paid someone $15 to do it - easy!

The rear shocks have a pretty tough top nut placement that requires a wrench since a deep well socket won't fit. The other thing that was a pain was trying to get the bottom of the shock compressed while cramming the bolt through. I'm not sure about the Rancho's but the Edelbrock's are under a considerable amount of pressure.

Good luck!

Old 04-28-2002, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the replies.

SilverScrew: how do you like those tires? Those are the ones that I will buy when my stock goodyears wear out. Everyone here says there is no rubbing with 33's, is that true. Seems like we got pretty much the same truck, so if your's don't rub, I'll be OK. Thanks in advance.

Cajun

Old 04-30-2002, 12:07 AM
A friend just got the Rancho 9000's with the control box where you can adjust them from the inside. It has a bunch of wires, and each shock also has an air hose attached to it leading to a small air compressor. I was wondering, do these shocks need AIR to adjust the setting, or is the AIR just used to compensate for the manual labor of turning the adjusting ****. Also if anyone has these shocks on a Screw, how hard is it to get to the adjusting ****. Thanks again.

Cajun

Old 04-30-2002, 12:41 AM
Love the tires. I have been very happy with the performance on the trails, river beds, and slinging mud. I’ve had them on some twisted trails and haven’t had any rubbing (they are on the stock wheels).

My tire guy said that he has seen some problems with the central adjustment for the Rancho 9000’s, primarily leaking air in the adjustment system. He didn’t recommend it. From what I understand, the compressor is used in place of the rotating *****. I will admit, the front adjustments are not that easy to get to.

Old 04-30-2002, 10:50 PM
Thanks again. Ain't this site a great site for finding out more info about our trucks!

Cajun

Old 04-30-2002, 11:11 PM
I've had Rancho 9000's on my truck for about 8000 miles and they do a wonderful job. I am pretty sure yours rear shocks set in opposite directions (one frontwards, one rearwards). On mine a 97 longbed they both set angled toward the back (both mount to rear of axle). Now at least on mine the top nut is reachable through the fender well, but there's not much room to work, and if rusted like mine they are a pain and it took my dad and I 1 hr per shock. I was able to get a 18mm deepwell on to it, which makes it a lot easier. The fronts are simple and took me and a buddy 20 minutes. To adjust the front I just turn the wheel lock and reach behind the tire and use a flashlight. It helps to put a mark on the #1 position, so you know if your on 1 or on 5.
The Ranchos are nice and do not regret them at all. I have seen Pro Comp has a new 6 position shock out but have not heard much on them.

Old 05-01-2002, 10:58 AM
Hey CajunScrew, what part of LA are you from? I'm near BR!! I love your screw and I'll probably get a new one in about one year. Are those the same shocks that come with the FX4?

Quick Reply: Rancho 9000