SuperCrew

2001 F150 Supercrew no start/no crank

Old 09-04-2015, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 F150 Supercrew no start/no crank

My single owner nothing really ever gone wrong with pickup just went out on me. Bad thing was, I wasn't there when it happened. Good thing was it's at least at a friends house even if it is 100 miles round trip away. So now lets get down to what it does.

First thought over the phone was low battery, maybe the killed it cause the slow guage start up sounds like the couple of times it's ran low on me. Nope, not the battery (I've tried several I know are good out my my dump truck and super duty just to be sure).

It's not the starter relay as it works just fine as does the starter when I jump power to the little post.

What it does is come on when I turn the key, but the Odo doesn't come on right away. After a minute it will power up like it had a power loss but the Odo shows dashes. If after this point I jump the starter relay the numbers come back on the Odo.

If I advance the key to start all the power shuts off. Then when I roll back to On, everything comes back, still showing dashes on the Odo.

If I put the key in Accessory I have no power to the radio or anything else I've tried.

The power to the transmission also cuts out when the key goes to On.

I tried changing the PATS transceiver when I thought it was in the way of the crank circuit but then found out it's not.

I tried changing the relays, no change.

I tried changing the starter switch, the switch not the tumbler. No Change.

I pulled the GEM module and there has never been any water in it and there are no fried components that I can see.

I was just told;
"Fuse 8 - 5amp under hood? Should have power in run and acc only. Fuse 29 - 5a and Fuse 30 - 30a under hood should have power in Run and Start only. these 2 fuses are particularly important. Fuse 21 - 15a and fuse 20 - 5a should have power in Start only. Please advise on findings.

Those circuits come right from the ignition and power important components. Fuses 113 - 40amp and 111 - 40amp are the two that feed the ignition switch and are hot at all times. So start by confirming you have power at these fuses and it doesnt drop out, then test the previously mentioned circuits. If any of them do not respond as expected your losing power between those primary fuses and the ones listed above. There are no relays or modules involved that could interrupt that circuit."

Any other ideas that I should be looking at next time I'm at the truck?

Old 09-07-2015, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuse 111 had been moved to slot 107. For reasons that don't need exploring at this juncture I'm pretty sure it was done on purpose. More so because there is almost no reason to pull one of those square fuses, you can see the whole inside. So at least the truck is home now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 F150 Supercrew no start/no crank