SuperCrew

programming Chip key

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 04:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
programming Chip key

hello guys,
I have a 2002 Supercrew 4x4, and bought a blank ignition key from Ebay to have as a spare. I got it cut to match at hardware store, and have tried to program it to work about a dozen times, with no success. I have printed the instructions from key supplier and from this site, both of them are the same instructions. I have 2 original Ford keys, both work well. Newly cut 'spare key' opens door locks and switches steering column well, Never programs to my truck to 'marry up' to my anti-theft system. Just spins the starter motor when I try it, does not energize ignition/fuel system. Now that I've tried numerous times to Program it, following Exactly the instructions, I figured its time to ask this knowledgeable forum if anyone has any Tips or suggestions I could give a try and get my new 'spare' key operational.
Thanks,
Mike Kelly
Stanley, NC

Old 04-16-2015, 09:49 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Take it to a locksmith or store that has the machine that will clone keys.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:50 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Mike, glc has certainly given you sound advice and you should do this if you can't do it yourself, but, I'm curious - did you try the procedure that's in your Ford Owner's Manual? You didn't say you did.

I've programmed a third key for my truck by following the Owner's Manual procedure and it works perfectly. I'd think your key is defective if it would not program that way.

However, I've just had another thought. Is it possible that the two keys you originally had were not the two OEM keys? If so, one may be a "clone" of the other, which will keep you from creating the third key. If this is the case, you will only be able to create another clone of the existing key, and, as glc said, a locksmith should be able to help you.

- Jack

Old 04-16-2015, 07:33 PM
I have successfully programmed two additional keys to my 2014 F150; the first was when I had the two keys that came with the truck.

The second time was after one of the "original" keys had been stolen, therefore I was using one of the "clones" along with one "original" to add the second "spare" key. I had no issues whatsoever, so I don't think the system knows the difference between an "original" and a "spare" key.

It's a simple procedure, my truck even has the remote start option and it functions just fine after programming. As those before me have said, if you can't get it to work you may have to take it to a locksmith.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:49 PM
may have a bad or chip less key? I got two from ebay, have key guy cut them and I programed out in his parking lot.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:54 PM
Old 04-17-2015, 05:00 PM
If you have only one PATS key, there is a way to avoid the large expense of getting additional PATS keys. It somewhat compromises security, so you are at a bit increased risk of theft, although no greater than a remote starter that uses a PATS bypass module with a live key inside. If you choose to accept this risk, proceed as follows:

1) Take your existing key somewhere and get at least two generic flat keys cut to the same key cut.
2) Remove the transceiver ring from the ignition cylinder.
3) Position your working PATS key inside the transceiver ring and secure it with plastic cable ties.
4) Secure the ring/key assembly up inside the dash in a spot than makes it difficult to get to easily.
5) Reassemble everything and use the generic keys for everything. The hidden PATS key will satisfy the security system whenever you start the vehicle.

Quick Reply: programming Chip key