SuperCrew

extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
extended warranty

I turned down my extended warranty at the dealership, so Ford just sent me a reminder and order form for the EPS. How many people signed up for this, and which one did you buy?

ALL of the recalls are making me nervous(2 in 9 months), so I am going to take a 2nd look at this.

If I am not mistaken, there was a thread a while back about some dealer out west that was selling the ESP for a cheaper price. I tried searching for it, but couldn't find it. Does anyone else remember this thread, or the dealer's name?

Old 09-05-2001, 11:11 AM
Lightbulb

Haven't done it yet, but kept the site.

http://www.fordwarrantycentral.com/

There might be others, but this seemed to be a poplular one

Old 09-05-2001, 12:14 PM
Also check out:
http://www.downsford.com

Cost about $50.00 less than fordwarrantycentral for a 6 yr/100k $50 ded. for the Premium Care

Old 09-05-2001, 12:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

I didn't purchase an extended warranty when I bought my truck, but I plan on buying one before my 12 months/12000 miles are up. I haven't decided on which company to use. My dealer sells Ford's plan as well as one from a company named Triad. Does anyone have any experience with either one? I have also found a couple of companies on the web, like Warranty Gold and Warranty Direct. Have any of you used any of these companies. I first heard of Warranty Gold at jeepsunlimited.com and some of those guys swear by them.

Old 09-05-2001, 04:02 PM
You need to carefully read what it covers if you don't go with the Ford extended warranty. Most of the extended warranties are just a insurance policy and do not cover alot of items that the Ford one does. It is better to pay a little extra now than a whole lot latter because you saved $200 and went with a cheaper warranty. I bought the Ford extended warranty that covers for 5 years and 75,000 miles. It only takes one a/c, trans, motor repair and it will pay for itself.

Old 09-05-2001, 04:49 PM
wandell- your warranty is 36/36, not 12/12

also, not interested in arguing it, but my opinion is that extended warranties are not a good deal......companies go out of business, deductibles, exceptions, forces you to go to a specific shop, and could be just plain throwing money away

Old 09-05-2001, 05:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Logical,
What I was refering to was the time I have to purchase the warranty. My dealer told me the price goes up after 12 months or 12000 miles. You're right about companies going out of business though. I bought an extended warranty on a Trans Am in the late 80's and the company went out of business. I was lucky that my dealer still honered the repairs though. That is why I want to know if anyone has any experience, good or bad , with any warranty company. Right now I am leaning toward Ford' warranty.

Old 09-05-2001, 05:46 PM
ESP

Originally posted by logical
wandell- your warranty is 36/36, not 12/12

also, not interested in arguing it, but my opinion is that extended warranties are not a good deal......companies go out of business, deductibles, exceptions, forces you to go to a specific shop, and could be just plain throwing money away
That's why you should stick with Ford's ESP. Not likely they will go out of business.

I did not buy them in the past but have bought them on the last several vehicles. If you buy new and plan to turn one over every two to three years then of course there is no need. The $1000 I spent on my Premium Ford ESP has just about covered itself after only 20 months. Recently, just fixing an ABS problem was almost $500.

Last edited by Kenster; 09-05-2001 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-05-2001, 08:00 PM
i went with the ford extended warranty. for a thousand bucks it was just easier. 5/75000. $50.00 ded. can't beat that. curt

Old 09-05-2001, 10:37 PM
Thumbs up

I just purchased the Ford ESP. for 6 years 60,000. I had it on my 95 explorer and it saved me at least 600.00 that I can remember, and the best part was when I traded it in early (kept it for 4 years, plan was for 5 years) I got a rebate check from Ford for the portion of the plan that I didn't use on the explorer. Can't ask for more than that.
But I waited till I almost had it a year before I purchased it. They told me after a year it would have cost $100.00 more. Still pretty cheap, when you start talking all the electronics on these trucks. It's not like my old 76 chevy, with a straight six, when all you needed was a wrench and a hammer to fix it. Ah the good old days.

Old 09-06-2001, 09:41 PM
ESP PRICE

GENE LOUDER
1-800-953-3321

Tell him Shannon Daves referred you. He sells them for $50 over his COST!

Old 09-06-2001, 11:16 PM
gene?

Thanks for the info

Who is he associated with?

Old 09-07-2001, 12:49 AM
noladave,
Never purchased an extended warranty before on a car because I am a skeptic when it comes to plans like that. I have purchased extended warranties for expensive electronics like big TVs and stereo systems because it was reasonable.

I'm going to get screwed this year on a new 4x4 '02, probably a KR, and I will consider the extended warranty on it after checking out exactly what is covered and I will calculate the risk before I jump into the sea of more debt.

Hey JazzVT,
That old '76 Chevy you refered to, needed more hammers than wrenches, right? Just kiddin', I couldn't resist.

DaveMan

Old 09-07-2001, 02:02 AM
extended

Hey Daveman,
I don't see a problem (except the cost) of getting the extended warranty for the trucks except from our experience the worst time to buy it is when you buy the truck. The finance manager where we bought ours was a total *** and only spoke of doom & gloom once the warranty was over. Anyway, if you look at the truck and all the electronics & power this & power that It would be a good investment down the road. Would only take maybe one good visit out of warranty to pay for the damn thing anyway. But, my point was that when we bought the truck they wanted something $1600.00 dollars for an additional 4 years. The lowest that they would come down to was $1400.00 and that was because we had family in the military (so he said). It's a fact that if you follow many of the names of dealership listed that they will sell them for alot less and the are genuine ford warranty's that are good at any ford dealership. Don't think I would buy one from a private insurance company cause what if they aren't there when you need them. But ford should be around.

My two cents

Quick Reply: extended warranty