SuperCrew

Long winded thoughts and intro...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2000, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Long winded thoughts and intro...

I've been a "lurker" on this board for months but finally am ready
to post. This post is probably too long and would be better posted
into the various other posts that it references, but...

First off, I have had my Crew on order for over 2 months. It is
scheduled to be built next week and delivered to my dealer the
following week. It won't have to travel by rail as the dealer is
in Leavenworth, KS. I'll pick it up on Monday July 31st.
Thanks to the posts ( https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000054.html )
on the VOPC I have been able to follow its progress.

I bought at dealer cost and luckily the recent price increase
( https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000307.html )
won't effect me. I also have a 97' Expedition XLT that I bought
via ordering through the same dealer also at cost. I use Edmunds
( http://www.edmunds.com/ ) for values. FYI... I ended up buying
outside of Tulsa to get what I considered a good buy. The Ford
dealerships in Tulsa are owned directly by Ford and subscribe to
a one price no haggle model. Needless to say, I think the no haggle
price might be OK for your average buyer who thinks anything under
MSRP is great but as ya'll are aware, you can do much better.

I have known about the SuperCrew for a long time but really fell in
love when I saw the first picture at Truck Trends Online
( http://www.trucktrend.com/feb99/la/f150/f150_f.html ). I really
like the look of the Crew with those wheels but I could not find
out what they were and they were not available as an option. I
stuck with the standard chrome wheels which are similar to those
on my Expy and which are very easy to clean and look good enough.
I also like the look of the black walls and am having the raised
white letter sides turned in on my Crew. Also, the show model has
a 4x4 like bumper valance (even though it does not appear to be a 4x4
and lacks the fog lights) which I really like and will try to match.

I also would like to swap out the grill insert with something else
like my 97' Expy or something else or even paint it to match. I
am confused by this post ( https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000017.html )
because I have seen pictures and even an odd real life Crew with
the simple XL style grill. It is always on XLTs and does not appear
to be a 4x4/4x2 difference. I theorize it might be a regional
i.e. California version difference.

I also really liked the chrome nerf bar running boards. I looked
at all the various manufacturers and models discussed in the
various threads but chose the factory option black running boards
because of price and splash protection. I have the similar lighted
ones on my Expy and they have been fine and the family (wife and
2 daughters 6 & 10) have really appreciated them.

I am putting on a fiberglass hard tonneau cover made by Astro-Cap
( http://www.astro-cap.com/products/ne...super_lid1.jpg ).
I looked at the various manufacturers and models discussed in the
various threads but chose Astro as they have a great warranty and
the factory is right up the road if I need warranty work. They were
also the very first with a lid as the Ford factory in KC also called
them up and gave them an early production Crew to get an after-market
lid for shows. I ordered the lid through my dealer who of course
went through one of Astro's dealers. Astro has been great. They gave
me a tour prior to me ordering and will install it for me (they are
on the way back from picking it up and this saves it being shipped
to their dealer and then being sent to my dealer which would subject
it to possible transit damage). The lid looks great and is easy to
take off (I got a cheap $ 3.00 simple pully system to hang from
my garage ceiling which should allow me to do it alone). The lift
arms also do not interfear with the Bed Extender.

I also have the Ford/Duraliner bedliner. I considered the spray on
liners like Rhino, Line-X, or Herculiner but stuck with the hard
slide-in liner because of great price and I should not have the
downside of moisture underneath with the lid. In a few years, I
can take the liner out and apply Herculiner if needed.

I will be getting Husky Liners as soon as Bass Pro gets the rear
versions. I found Bass Pro has the best price when I put them in
my Expy. They are great and my Expy carpet is perfect almost 4
years later. They are also made just up the road. It's nice having
most everything built local.

The stereo in my Expy is almost the same as the one in the Crew and
it is more than OK but since this is the most "loaded" vehicle I
have ever bought, I am going ahead and upgrading it a little. I
am replacing the factory speakers with Clarion SRC5753 5x7 plate
speakers which are component tweeter\mid-range and a powered
subwoofer Clarion PSWFF150T. The subwoofer is made for F150s and
is color matched and looks factory installed (it conforms to the
regular F150 dash better than the Crew but I think it is OK). I
would have rather been able to utilze the storage area behind the
drivers side rear seat but no manufacturer (MTX, JL, QLogic, etc...)
is making anything yet. Clarion ( http://www.clarionmultimedia.com/Aud.../speakers.html )
is also the OEM provider of the factory stereo and make a connecting
cable for the powered subwoofer which makes installation clean and
simple (especially if you are leasing which I am not).

Whew... I guess that is enough for now. Sorry for the long post.

ps. I'll be keeping my eye on:

Sagging Seats ( https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000287.html )
Leather Wear ( https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000056.html )
Tail Lens Holes ( https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000047.html )
Paint Flaws ( https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000285.html )
et al...

------------------
2001 SuperCrew, Lariat 4.6L 4x2 , Deep Wedgewood Blue/Harvest Gold, 3.55 Limited Slip, Bench Seats, 6 Disc CD Changer, Ford Bed Liner, Bed Extender, Class III Tow Group, Ford Platform Steps, Ford Bug Shield.

Mods: Astro-Cap EuroLid (Fiberglass Hard Tonneau), Husky Liners, Clarion Camouflage PSWFF15T Powered Subwoofer and 4 SRC5753 Component Plate Speakers.

Future Mods: K&N Filter, Ford 4x4 Front Bumper Valance?, Paint existing Grill Insert or switch with other model e.g. Expedition or SVT?, Ford Molded Mud Guards, Seat Cover(s)?

Old 07-15-2000, 11:42 PM
Wink

That Clarion subwoofer is a neat idea ( http://www.clarionmultimedia.com/Aud...swff150dg.html ). I was wondering if someone made a subwoofer for this location. Makes it easy to route wires and connect to the stereo.

Certainly an option for those who are looking to fill this space in their SuperCrews with something useful. An extra 100 watts of low end will certainly make an improvement to the stock stereo.

Has anyone heard one of these boxes in an F150? I'm curious as to how well the subwoofer mixes in with the existing system.

------------------
2001 SuperCrew, XLT, 4x4, Island Blue/Silver, Med gray int., 4.6L, 60/40 seats, 6 disc CD, cab steps, power seat, 17" 10 spoke wheels.
Mods: Access Roll-Up tonneau cover.

Old 07-17-2000, 12:01 AM
Fun Island Blue Crew - I will have mine in 2 or 3 weeks and will let you know how it sounds (although, I am not an audiophile). I'll post a couple of pics also.

I believe Clarion makes high-end products and am anticipating it will sound great. I have heard the door speaker replacements and they alone will make a great difference.

I don't know if it was clear in my previous post, but the sub fits a little better in a standard F150 (inc. SuperCab) than it does the Crew. The reason why is even though the dash profile is the same the "hump" in the Crew is slightly different and at a different.

A local Clarion dealer had one and allowed me to take it down to the Ford dealership down the road. I tried it in all three. I will work with it a little to make it work out.

I have bench seats and the middle will only be useful for kids with the sub in place. I want to make it removable with some kind of quick-release. Any ideas would be appreciated.

------------------
2001 SuperCrew, Lariat 4.6L 4x2 , Deep Wedgewood Blue/Harvest Gold, 3.55 Limited Slip, Bench Seats, 6 Disc CD Changer, Ford Bed Liner, Bed Extender, Class III Tow Group, Ford Platform Steps, Ford Bug Shield.

Mods: Astro-Cap EuroLid (Fiberglass Hard Tonneau), Husky Liners, Clarion Camouflage PSWFF15T Powered Subwoofer and 4 SRC5753 Component Plate Speakers.

Future Mods: K&N Filter, Ford 4x4 Front Bumper Valance?, Paint existing Grill Insert or switch with other model e.g. Expedition or SVT?, Ford Molded Mud Guards, Seat Cover(s)?

Old 07-17-2000, 12:17 AM
OKCrew,

I'll look forward to your comments once installed in your SuperCrew. It's interesting that the "hump" is a little different than the standard F150.

That's a good idea to come up with a quick release so you can take the sub out when you need to have someone ride in the middle. That's the reason I got the 60/40 seats, to have the option to carry 6 people.

As for the electrical connection, depending on how many wires and what kind of amperage they require will determine what kind of connector you would use. Radio Shack has quite a few different connectors to choose from. The ones I am thinking about have little metal tips that you crimp (or solder) onto the wire. The tips are pushed into the plastic connector and lock in place. Basically you build the male and female connector ends this way. They are polarized so you can't plug them together wrong. Also, make sure the connector is rated to handle the max current that the sub will draw.

Another thing to watch out for would be the audio connection. If the "T" harness taps into the actual speaker outputs then you shouldn't have to worry about shielding. However, if the audio connection uses the RCA inputs on the sub then you would want to use a connector that provides some shielding like an inline RCA jack. When you cut into the "T" harness wiring you will be able to tell if shielded wires being used. If that is the case I would use the RCA jacks for the audio connection and a basic crimp style connector for the other wires.

------------------
2001 SuperCrew, XLT, 4x4, Island Blue/Silver, Med gray int., 4.6L, 60/40 seats, 6 disc CD, cab steps, power seat, 17" 10 spoke wheels.
Mods: Access Roll-Up tonneau cover.

Old 07-18-2000, 08:04 PM
The "hump" in the floor is different since the SuperCrew floorpan is basically the front 2/3rds of the Expedition floorpan, instead of being a stretched SuperCab floorpan.

Old 07-18-2000, 11:00 PM
Dear OK:

Nicely written, footnoted, and interesting.

Sounds like a great truck too.

------------------
Y2K™ Jim Gorka

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Old 07-19-2000, 09:09 PM
RPFB - Thanks for the info on the "hump" difference. It confirms my observations.

Y2K 7700 4x4 - Thanks for the comments.

fun island blue crew - Thanks for the input on the electrical connections. I think that will be taken care of with the Clarion T-harness that I also ordered. It has Ford OEM connections behind the head unit with the harness dropping down and plugging into the back of the sub. It should allow quick disconnect. What I have to work out now is a way to secure the sub but allow quick disconnect. I am leaning toward and looking for black buckle latches (those things on luggage trunks). Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, for anyone who is looking for a good deal on the Husky Floor Liners... The best price is usually at Bass Pro but I utilized the current promotion at Carparts.com to do a little better. Carparts.com has ads in most truck enthusists mags for 33% off upto $100 total discount until 7/31. They currently do not have the rear liner but I told them that Husky advises that they are currently shipping. Carparts.com then researched it and accepted my order (price $50.93 front and $ 50.93 rear less 33% = +/- $ 34.12 each). If you do a search on the board I think there is a post with the discount code.

Thanks all...

------------------

Old 08-02-2000, 10:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Wow! I've never heard of that box til (no
pun intended) now. How much does it cost????
I want one,, solves my sub dilemma,ie: no space!! Can you get those by mail order??
Is it a 10" 8"??

------------------

Old 08-03-2000, 09:06 PM
98screamer -

Here is a link to an article on different "loaded" sub boxes including the Clarion...
http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/editori.../morebump.html

I believe it is a 10" with a class D (digital) 100 watt amp. I don't have mine yet and will let you know for sure when it gets here. Even if it is an 8" it will be ok with me. I am only looking for a little more definition not window shaking. What sold me is the "clean" OEM look.

Price is $ 300 to $ 350. Search Clarion dealers on the web.

Old 08-29-2000, 10:28 PM
Question

OKCrew:
I'm resurrecting your great post. I searched the site for info but couldn't find detail on the premium sound system amplifier/ connections. Can you tell me how you connected your (clarion)sub to the OEM premium head unit/ amplifier? I pulled my head unit today, but couldn't follow the wiring cable to the factory amp ... or, is the amp inside the head unit?
I have an old Sony XM-250, 2 channel bridgeable amp (mosfet) ... a cast off from my youngest. Would like to find a low level signal from the head unit to drive an 8 inch sub, but obviously, a factory amp complicates things. What did you do ? BTW, the front components sound SUPER and the rear Pioneer coax complement too. Thanks ....

------------------
2001 F-150 Super Crew Lariat 4x4
  • 5.4 engine
  • Chestnut w/ gold trim
  • Captain's Chairs
  • Ford/ Duraliner bed insert
  • Six disc cd changer (in center console)
  • Fosgate FNP1614 component speakers (front)
  • Pioneer TS-A6855 speakers (rear)
  • Moon roof
  • 98/99 Expedition center console
  • Bed extender
  • Class 3 trailer hitch

Old 08-30-2000, 09:18 PM
FedExPilot,

I don't believe our system has an external amp. The HU provides amplification. The system in my Expy is the Ford "Premium" system and it does have a component external amp. The link below is a supplier of OEM audio equipment. They could answer your question and provide a harness if needed: http://www.radiosandmore.com/

Here is another link to a site that has good installation info (including wire harness pin\wire diagrams) on Ford audio equipment: http://www.installdr.com/

As to your original question, one of the reasons I chose the Clarion sub is that Clarion had a T-harness that plugged in between the stereo harness connections and provided a clean connection to the sub which is located on the hump right below the stereo. A very clean OEM look and finish.

The sub is currently just sitting on the hump. It is supposed to be screwed to the floor after cutting slits in the carpet. I really don't want to do this (especially as the SCrew differs from other 150's with a vent from the center pod on the hump and under the carpet). I am currently looking for some really nice high-tech buckle latches (some black ones that are found on chests or audio/video transport boxes) to attach the sub to the center pod making it quick release.

If I had not gotten the sub, I would have done exactly as you did with the 3-ways in back and components upfront. I'm sure they sound great and the amp will only make it better and will allow you to add a sub later.

Good luck...

ps. It's hot as hell here in Tulsa too. This month was the hottest on record with no rain.

Quick Reply: Long winded thoughts and intro...