SuperCrew

Actual Mileage.............

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actual Mileage.............

Bought a 04 S'crew awhile ago with ~50,000 miles on the odometer. After having it a while, I'm wondering if that is the actual milage or if someone could of rolled it back. I though I heard that a dealer could check the real mileage on the onboard computer?
TIA
Rick

Old 08-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what makes you suspicious? I really doubt that someone messed with the odometer. That would take some major work. look for some wear on high use items and compare it to other trucks with similar milage. that might gage it for you.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:40 PM
That's what's got me wondering............ Wear on brake pedal, seats, steering wheel etc. I bought it from a local Ford dealer... Don't know how much work it would be for them......... Unless the cluster was changed sometime??????

R...

Originally Posted by chris1450
what makes you suspicious? I really doubt that someone messed with the odometer. That would take some major work. look for some wear on high use items and compare it to other trucks with similar milage. that might gage it for you.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:11 PM
A 2004 with 50,000 miles got driven quite a bit. I would expect more than average wear. If it were a farm truck, or driven in the city a lot, those could have been very hard miles too. If it was that beat, why buy it in the first place?

I really doubt anyone would, or even could, reprogram the odometer.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:55 PM
If the cluster was replaced, then you have the miles changed to anything. When we order a cluster they ask what the miles are, so I guess you can give them anything

Old 08-20-2007, 01:14 PM
Cars/trucks with digital odometers are the easiest to change. Way easier than the old analog ones. There was an investigative report on a News program a few months ago, where they secretely were filming a used car dealership in Montreal that hired a guy to come and change the mileage on several cars on the lot. He just plugged a laptop into the ODBII Port, and about 5 minutes later, moved over to another car, and so on. The Dealer paid $200 per car, but brought the value up several thousand. Apparently it is a major problem in Auction sold vehicles, especialy if they come from out of Province/State.

Quick Reply: Actual Mileage.............