SuperCrew

rear window seal question

Old 05-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question rear window seal question

Just wondering if anyone out there in wun-fiddy land has noticed the rubber bead around the back glass (inside outer plastic surround) trying to edge its way out? I know it sounds odd but mine just seems loose in there. Took it to the dealer and they said they wouldn't remove the back glass to check it out unless it was leaking. They also said that this is common. I'm just wondering if Ford was too lazy to check out my gripe. Any input would be appreciated.

Brian Clark
'01 Screw
5.4L, 4X4, XLT
Eclipse Sport truck customization package
285 75 16s

Old 05-03-2003, 08:14 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Common problem Griz.

If you're still under warranty, go back to the stealership and have them replace it.

They'll install a 2002+ version which doesn't have that damn gasket. Mine was doing the same thing and developed a VERY SLIGHT leak around it. They didn't flinch an eye in putting the new one in. VERY VERY VERY common problem.

Old 05-04-2003, 08:22 AM
RockPick,
Like I said, they've initially tried to squirm out of helping me. I guess I'll just lean on them a little. My buddy's dad own's a Ford dealership in Mt. Sterling, so I may just wait until I get back to Kane-tuck and get it fixed. Thanks for the response though. I guess the last time I got a response from you I had my 2WD 98. I just got the Screw the other day and am really enjoying it. As much as I love Ford trucks, I think I equally dislike dealing with their service department. Anyway, take it easy, and thanks again.
Brian Clark

Old 05-04-2003, 08:59 AM
I have a 2001 Screw. It has the same problem Looks like sh*t in my opinion But I am not in warranty land any more and it does not appear to be leaking. I am going to leave it as is untill it leaks. If your under warranty have them fix it
Doug

Old 05-04-2003, 11:14 AM
Moderator &

Brian,

Best of luck with that. I'm pretty sure that if you lean on them that you can pull it off. My service advisor told me that they were replacing between 2 and 5 rear glass assemblies on F-150s and that it was NOT uncommon. I'm sure your dealership has similar experiences.

It's always a pain in the butt to deal with service. I dread it everytime that I go in that place...

RP

Old 05-06-2003, 08:11 PM
Good news! I griped a little more and Ford came through and is going to replace the back glass and seals. They're even making a slider for free. I guess it pays to ask!
Brian

Old 05-06-2003, 09:16 PM
Moderator &

Congrats Brian. I figured that they might come through. It's a very common problem.

RP

Old 11-01-2005, 01:52 PM
I know I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, but RP couldn't help me because he couldn't remember doing this to his old truck, so it's time to try the rest of you. I have an 01 with the old rear window surround and rubber poking out, and I have been looking around for the part number for the 02-03 style piece so I can swap mine out. None of the online parts places can assure me that the part number they have is what I am really looking for. Is the hard plastic and rubber thing one piece? I don't see anything saying that the 01 part number was superseded by the 02-03 one either, so it somewhat concerns me because it isn't a cheap part.

Can anyone help out here? I have an 01 Supercrew King Ranch with the power rear slider.

Old 11-02-2005, 11:54 AM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by GrizfromKY
Just wondering if anyone out there in wun-fiddy land has noticed the rubber bead around the back glass (inside outer plastic surround) trying to edge its way out? I know it sounds odd but mine just seems loose in there. Took it to the dealer and they said they wouldn't remove the back glass to check it out unless it was leaking. They also said that this is common. I'm just wondering if Ford was too lazy to check out my gripe. Any input would be appreciated.

Brian Clark
'01 Screw
5.4L, 4X4, XLT
Eclipse Sport truck customization package
285 75 16s

I saw this on my "02 after a trip to Florida in July '02. I got the same answer from the service department, they weren't going to touch it unless it was leaking. I just left it alone. Didn't have any leaks.

Rich Dunklee
NR2D

Old 11-07-2005, 07:13 PM
Are we talking about the seal for the sliding rear window, or the seal for the whole back glass?? The seal for my sliding rear came loose over the summer and I just got some crazy glue and put it in the slit and closed the window and the seal hasnt budged since.
If its the whole back glass seal can someone take a pic of a defective one for comparison??

Old 11-08-2005, 09:04 AM
Mine is the whole back window seal that goes between the painted cab and the grey plastic window surround. This piece on mine has started cracking pretty bad with age, but hasn't started leaking yet. None of the parts places have been able to help me in ordering the right thing, because they can't find the where the new part started its existence nor can they show me exactly what piece I will be getting as the replacement. I'm just not willing to order a $120 part and have it either be the old style or not the right part, since most of the places won't allow you to return a special order part like that.

Old 11-13-2005, 06:30 PM
The Dealer replaced the gasket on my 02 Supercrew under warranty. The only issue was thet the job calls for the entire headliner to be dropped to do the job. My guys took a short cut and folded the headliner forward out of the way instead of removing it. Clearly it left a wrinkle across the headliner where the foam was cracked as the headliner was folded. It never did fade away. The dealer offered discounts on future work which I rolled into a free annual inspection. I do my own maintenance work.

New gasket is an external one which is taller than the actually rim on the window itself. It's ok but not as smooth as the original type but it does keep the leaves and debris out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear window seal question