SuperCrew

Radiator Support Welding patch for 01 f-150 radiator support bracket

Old 05-26-2005, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator Support Welding patch for 01 f-150 radiator support bracket

I'm currently working on fixing the radiator support bracket by replacing the driver side portion of it with a after market part. Here is the current Radiator support bracket on the truck . I have purchased a new aftermarket radiator support bracket which I'm going to use the blue square portion to replace the driver side radiator support bracket. I'm going to use a mig welder to weld the two pieces together. The passenger side of the support bracket is in perfect shape so I'm going to leave it alone. My question is when I get ready to weld the new patch piece to the old piece should they overlap each other at the ends or should I try and get them to be flush to the ends and weld a solid bead for a smoother look. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Old 05-27-2005, 03:48 PM
Banned for Use of Multiple Usernames
I would not cut up the new piece - I would replace it as a unit. That is a structural piece of the front clip. And if you are asking questions like "should I overlap", then you probably don't have enough welding skill or knowledge to weld structural parts of the body.

Old 05-27-2005, 06:28 PM
Please Stop!

Please stop! If the pictures are anywhere close to a representation of what is wrong then stop! Put in the whole support, or better yet let a professional do it!

I spent too many years working in a bodyshop, to let you proceed without voicing an opinion! That front end appears to be way off! The aprons are probably bent too! Let me guess, it was probably going to total? So you thought you would replace a few things and keep it. Don't!

Just my two cents worth!

Old 05-27-2005, 06:55 PM
I'm not a body man, but from the amount of accidents I've seen and also being a tech for quite a number of years... that whole front end looks twisted! Before doing anything, I would have the front end measured on a frame rack and then decide what to do from there. Simply welding that front clip on isn't going to do you any bit of good at this point IMHO...

Old 05-29-2005, 02:47 AM
I looked at the pics and it reminded me of the accident I had about a year and a half ago. I had similar damage, but less extensive. That driver-side frame rail needs pulled back out for sure, had to have that done to mine as well. I think I would reconsider totaling that vehicle, especially if your repair skills are questionable. Just my thoughts.

LT Dan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radiator Support Welding patch for 01 f-150 radiator support bracket