SuperCrew

01 F150 SCrew 4x2

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 F150 SCrew 4x2

Did post this in the buyer's corner but I not sure if I'd get a reply in time.
Found a used 01 F150 4x2 XLT SCrew with topper. Saw it dealer's lot recently and wanted to test drive it. Due to work was unable to contact them during reg. bus. hrs. Emailed sales dept thru their website. Did this twice...no reply at all. Was able to get out of work early 1 day and found it was gone from their lot, so I never went in. Sent off another email and got a call back (finally) from sales rep. He said that it was out to someone for an overnight take home/test drive. Was to get an update if it was still available. NO callback from sales rep! Finally had a buddy who's friends w/sales mgr. get someone on the horn to me. They sent it to auction!! Was able to have them not auction it off so I could check it over.
My question is this... due to the runaround I got don't I have some leverage regarding price?
If so, how much is an avg. auction price off a used car sticker price? Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I'm naive at some of this.
Willing to walk out if I don't get them to a 2-3 hundred below Edmunds TMV (which I assume is way higher than auction). Any advice on this is appreciated!

Old 05-12-2005, 07:17 AM
I don't think they will actually give you a dime for your troubles, they may let you think they are with some words of a discount. I'd check the Edmunds and KBB trade in values and try to get something close to that. From my experience wholesale and trade in are close, but I have not been involved in used car pricing for a while. One strategy would be to go through your experience with tracking the vehicle down (take a lot of their time) Then go into how they were almost willing to lose money on the truck but you are willing to come to the rescue and buy it. After they give you a price point out that they were willing to give it away at wholesale so they should be willing to give it to you for the same price or close to it. Considerations would be warranty and any additional work you want done, new tires, etc.

Old 05-12-2005, 08:16 AM
Yeah, I don't expect a lot of sympathy from a dealer.

But, I do have the luxury of not having to buy it. (looking because I'm tired of driving my minivans and have always wanted an F-150 or similar pickup). Got the trade in, private party and Edmunds TMV prices on the make and model I was looking at. So I'm at least I'm armed with some info and any advice I get for backup!

Your advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 05-12-2005, 02:51 PM
I would think that if they are planning on sending it to auction then you would be looking at Kelly Blue Book trade in value.

Too bad you can't find the original owner and give him a call to see what they gave him for it?

Quick Reply: 01 F150 SCrew 4x2