SuperCrew

Block Heater

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Block Heater

Well, I used my block heater for the first time last night. It was going to be around -10 below, so it was a perfect time to test it out. Came out this morning and started it up. Fired up easily! Usually when it gets cold out it moans and groans upon starting up, but this time no problem. I think I'll keep plugging it in on really cold days.

Anybody know how much current the block heater draws? I have it plugged in on a 20 amp circuit with a few other low current devices. I doubt it would draw too much though.

Old 01-14-2005, 09:50 AM
I don't know how much it draws, but be careful, put it of a timer, your are not supposed to run it for more that 4 hours. I had mine burn out on my Supercrew last winter, lucky for me it was a warranty item

Old 01-14-2005, 10:07 AM
Crap, I think I had it on for seven hours. I've got a timer that I use for my Christmas lights, so I think I'll take your advice and run the heater only 4 hours.

Old 01-14-2005, 12:57 PM
I Don't think that runnig it for more than 4 hours did anything wrong to it, I Wouldn't worry too much about it. As for how much power... well i'd guess in the 300 or 400 watt range maybe a bit more. Here in New-Brunswick Canada, Before I had my house with a dbl Garage for my cars, I used to plug both my cars in the same GFCI outlet rated for 15 amps and would never trip the breaker.

As for a timer, a Heavy Duty Timer with a Grounded outlet would be best.

Don't baby your truck too much... it'll get used to it

Dpostman

EDIT: OK, well after searching the internet to find Block Heater wattage, there isn't much to go on, I'v seen Subaru block heaters that were 400W and John Deere that were 2000W. So I'll bring up my estimate on block heater wattage for the F-150 to 800 to 1000 watts.

Last edited by dpostman; 01-17-2005 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:29 PM
You can have it plugged in for any time length....it is made to be plugged in. I have mine plugged in for 8hrs or more....or even couple days. If need be.

If it failed....more than likely due to a fault or moisture migration.

We have a lot of our City Fleet plugged in for weeks on end....ready to go

Old 01-21-2005, 02:53 PM
DMA
The paperwork for my 2002 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat FX4 states I have one, but I cannot locate the plug for it.

Any ideas?

Thanx.

Old 01-21-2005, 03:02 PM
block heater on a gas engine?? is this something you installed aftermarket? I have never had a problem starting a gas engine in cold weather... now my diesel on the other hand... I need the block heater all the time.

at what temps are you having problems starting your gas engine?

Old 01-21-2005, 10:12 PM
The block heater was factory installed on my truck. My truck is parked in a garage; I don't have problems starting the truck but when it gets -20 below I find it a hell of a lot easier on the truck if the engine is warm.

Block heater is located on driver's side, just above the hole in the front valance. Just stick your hands in the hole and feel around it should be right there.

Old 01-23-2005, 01:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You can run the block heater as much as you want, anything more then 4 hours is just buring through electricity ( i.e. not heating the truck up anymore ).
I have mine on a timmer, that runs it for 4 hours prior to me getting ready to leave.

I just put a clamp meter on the hot lead in the timer, and it pulls 4.6 amps. So at 120 it is a 552 watt heater.

True RMS on the timer ( same Fluke 336 meter ) showed 122.2, which is a little over 562 watts.

One condition:
This is on a 20 AMP circuit
Using 12/3 AWG wire to the plug head ( cut to the length of the timer to front of truck, with little extra )

I have a minimal amount of 16 AWG wire in the run ( what is on the truck ) and already replaced the head on the block heater cord end, with a decient 3 prong head, which lowers the overall resistance of the majority of the circuit.

Using a long 16/3 cord, and the stock molded plug head might change the AMP draw on the circuit.

The timer I use is the Intermatic T101 timer.
http://store1.yimg.com/I/flyyourflag_1829_695303377

I think Home Depot has these now. You can get one of these, a 14/3 cord set and cord fittings,and make your own setup. Cut the cord to the length needed for the outlet to the timer, and for the timer to the truck, and you are good to go.

purpony,

To answer your question, yes I have had block heaters on all my trucks ( back to my '81 F-100 ) just for myself, not so much the engine.
Yes the engine starts much easier, but it is more so for me to have heat quicker, then a no start issues. Maybe in Timmins ONT you need them all the time ( my rental car didn't but, it did not like starting in FEB ), but generally you are correct, gas engines don't require them like diesels do.

Quick Reply: Block Heater