SuperCrew

Remote start for 2001 F150 Screw

Old 12-30-2003, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote start for 2001 F150 Screw

I am looking at getting a remote start for my 2001 Screw Lariat, but have no idea where to start. I have heard that remote starts can ruin the ignition/starter... is this true?

What kinds of remote starters have some of you put on? I know there are a lot to choose from and I am really just looking for the cheapest/no frills remote starter that isn't going to ruin anything. I have read a lot of previous posts about remote starters, and there are so many, i dont know which ones do what, and why some are better than others. Anyone care to explain? Thanks for the help!

Old 12-31-2003, 08:30 AM
I am in the process of installing a remote start on my 2002. I bought the silver Ford / Code Alarm system that includes remote start and keyless entry.

A couple notes for you since you are early in the process:

- Your truck has the PATS key system that includes an RF chip in each key. Any remote start system will need a method to bypass this.

- A remote start system will not damage your truck if it is properly installed. It is no different to the engine than turning the key.

- The greatest thing you need to look for is a quality install job. Loose connections that play havoc with any alarm / remote start system will drive you nuts. This may be an area where you WANT to pay a professional installer and not be cheap.

- You should be able to get a remote start only system professionally installed for ~$200. This is a low-frills version.

Some of the popular brands are:
- Code Alarm
- Crimestopper
- Viper / Python / etc.. made by DEI
- Bulldog (Cheap, can work, but much maligned)

Old 12-31-2003, 08:36 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the info MCS. Keep us posted as to how the installation goes as I'm seriously considering this as one of my upcoming modifications.

Thanks again.

RP

Old 12-31-2003, 10:00 AM
I've got the Clifford RSX 3.5, alarm/remote start with lcd pager.

I really like it alot and use it all the time, installed by bestbuy cost with all the relays bypass module etc was close to 700.

They also have some remote start only systems that were around 150- 200, they'll tell you that's installed but then you still have to buy any relays or modules so it'll be more.

Old 12-31-2003, 10:34 AM
I have the Avaital remote starter with keyless entry on three of my vehicles all were installed at Best Buy, you will have to pay extra for the PATS key componet which uses one of your existing keys with the chip inside to start the vehicle remotely.

My advice is to have a third key made before proceding with the install. Price I paid was around $275-300 installed.

Old 12-31-2003, 11:10 AM
This was a must have when I bought this truck. I had it installed by the Ford dealer. Instead of paying it up front he added it to my weekly payment. Worked out to under $300. He had them mount the signal reciever inside at the top of my windshield. I have great range. With the auto climate control and auto headlamps, its awesome. My wife always complains when she has to go out and scrape the ice off her windows, LOL. I told her we could get 1 for her, but she doesn't want to spend the $. Even in the summer it helps blow out hot air before you get in. Its nice going from a house with air to a vehicle that is nice and cool.

Old 12-31-2003, 11:59 AM
Thanks so much for the help everyone.

Old 01-01-2004, 11:47 PM
FYI, I had an Audiovox APS996 installed at the dealer a few days after I picked up my truck. I love it, but the transmitter with the LCD panel on it started to go out after only a few months, and finally stopped making noises and such about 6 months after I had it put in. The shop that the dealer outsources the alarm/remote isntalls to was very cooperative, to their credit. I just stopped in and had it swapped out, no questions, no reciepts, no names, no money.

Old 01-02-2004, 02:05 AM
I love mine...

And best of all, I got it for free!!!!

Here's the story... I'll keep it short too.

When I was buying my truck, it was late at night and I was the last customer. I took the truck that night with the request that I bring it back for the official dealer prep of having it scotch guarded, washed and waxed, extra keys, etc.. Now the dealer already had installed an alarm, as they do on all their new vehicles and they asked if I wanted remote start installed when they prepped it. I asked how much, they said like another $100, so I said "sure".. The paperwork and financing was done, so I thought I would pay for it in cash when I picked it up...

I went to pick it up that afternoon and they just handed me the keys and said "Sir, your vehicle is ready." It was washed, waxed and raring to go, looked beautiful... My salesman showed me all the basics and shook my hand.

I asked if that was it and they replied, "yep."

I asked if I owed anything else.. He said, "Nope"

Now, I am an honest guy and had I not dropped 30 G's on a new truck, I would've insisted... Then again, who am I to tell them how to do their job!

I do believe that it's possibily the best *extra/mod* I have on it..

Later,
Chris

Old 01-06-2004, 08:56 AM
Old 01-06-2004, 11:38 AM
I had the dealer order the Ford unit and install it about three months ago. I love it. Especially this morning at -6 degrees (yes that's farhenheidt (sp)). Cost me right at $400, but well worth it in my opinion. They put the receiver antenna in the upper drivers side corner on the windshield and the reception is great. I was going to do it myself but my service manager, who I trust, told me I probably didn't want to mess with it. The best thing I like about the Ford unit and the main reason I went with the Ford unit, is that it doesn't disable the PATS system. The units that require you have an extra key and it gets mounted under the dash somewhere essentially defeat the PATS system. It reads that the key is always there. I didn't want that. I am very happy with my unit. It may have cost a little more than the aftermarket systems, buy IMO worth it.

Old 01-06-2004, 12:58 PM
I had the Viper 791XV security system/remote start kit installed Saturday on my 03 Screw. So far so good. I'm looking forward to starting my truck from my office this afternoon before I leave so that it'll be warm when I get there (high today supposed to be about 13 degrees).

Old 01-06-2004, 01:41 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a basic DEI one on my 99 F-150 with keyless entry. It worked great. For the next truck, I wanted two way. I did my research and decided I wanted a 2-way system this time. After some more research I decided on Ultra Start. I got the 3255 AM based one, but wish I got the 3500 FM based for better range. Other than the range, I am very please with it. I like the idle mode that lets me leave the truck running and remove the keys while I run into a store or wherever quickly.

Old 01-06-2004, 04:30 PM
APT - My Ford unit lets me do the idle thing also. Not sure if that's what's it's called but it is a slick feature.

Old 01-06-2004, 05:59 PM
My Viper unit also allows you to leave the truck running without the key.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote start for 2001 F150 Screw