SuperCrew

In Vehicle Video System

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Vehicle Video System

I know this is far fetched, but maybe someone can help me. I have an 02 Super Crew Lariat 4x4 with the dual captains chairs and a center console. Inside the center console is a VCR. I would like to get with the times and replace this VCR with a DVD player. I have already purchased a DVD player (mobile Blaupunkt DVD-ME2) off of Ebay. Here's where I run into the problem. I took out the VCR tonight and saw that it uses some kind of stupid harness from the factory for power, ground, key on power, and audio/video integration into the vehicle's audio system. I guess what I am wondering is does any company make an aftermarket harness that will adapt these wires to a seperate wire for power, key on power, and ground as well as some kind of RCA plugs so that I can use my new DVD player in my Screw? Does all this make sense? I just want to be able to pop in one of my massive collection of DVD's while out camping or something and enjoy the superior sound quality and picture clarity of DVD discs. I went to the local Ford stealership already and they said "There is no conversion harness made unless you are installing a Ford factory DVD player." This is a problem for me as I don't want to spend in upwards of $1000 for a DVD player for my truck. Can anyone help me out, or does anyone work at a stereo place or know someone who does and may be able to offer some insight? Please post here...I'm waiting on your replies.

Old 07-11-2004, 02:24 AM
I thought I was the only one with a factory rear entertainment center, but I guess not. I've actually had the same question for quite some time now and a friend of mine who works at a stereo shop told me there is a harness you can buy to fix the problem. I haven't got motivated enough to tear the VCR out yet so I decided to plug my Playstation into the rca jacks by the passenger radio controls. It plays DVD's just fine and I can play video games as an added bonus.

-Craig

Old 07-11-2004, 01:30 PM
If you find out any more info about where to get that harness, please let me know. I am ready to tear my hair out if I cant find a solution to this problem. All I ever wanted was to watch a DVD in the truck...dammit. If you have source for that harness, get me one and I'll send you whatever it costs plus a finders' fee. Thanks.

Old 08-07-2004, 12:56 AM
Got your fix

all you really have to do to install a dvd player is buy a power converter for the power to the dvd player($40) which connects to a power outlet like a cigerette lighter and make the appropriate video connection. Not hard, installed in my supercrew.

Old 08-08-2004, 03:51 AM
My setup

I have a 2001 that I put an aftermarket system in. It originally came with a VCR as well. To remedy the DVD problem, I bought a cheap DVD from Wal-Mart, I think $40. I zip-tied it under the rear seat, in the middle. I ran the RCA cables from the DVD player under the carpet where the seat bolts to the body. I got an extention cable that I connected to the VCR RCA jacks in the back. Ran that under the center console so the connection is along the seat rail of the driver's seat. Now I have the DVD hooked up, when I want Playstation, I just disconnect the DVD and plug in the Playstation and use an inverter that runs along the driver's side seat rail.

Total cost to have a DVD:
DVD player: $40
Cable: $12
Inverter: $70

Definitely not $1000, plus now the kids can playvideo games on long trips.

LT Dan

Old 08-08-2004, 08:26 AM
Dan that was very cool how you did that...

Old 08-10-2004, 08:05 PM
theantiriced...you should give crutchfield a call if you cant find the harness at your local shop. Just tell them what your doing and they should be able to help. I also have a mobile dvd payer in my truck and love having it in there for trips to ammoth and so on....Good luck!

Quick Reply: In Vehicle Video System