Lightning Swap

Old 10-11-2015, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightning Swap

Hi there guys.

I have been a long time lurker of this site gathering info for my truck but its come up that i have a few specific questions now.

Ive read several times over the lightning swap procedure. The issue being is mad enterprises website no longer exists. So does someone have the complete list of need parts to do the swap?

Another question i have is has anyone done ported heads and cams in combo with the lightning swap? If so how has it affected your truck? And does it keep it still daily drivable.

For future refrence i have a 2000 2wd scab with the 5.4. Soon to come (here in the next few months) will be long tube headers, dual exhaust with necassary x pipe as well as hi flow cats. Then will be a custom tune. I recently had my tranny rebuilt here not long ago with all the goodies (red clutches, steel plates, and had the shift kit put in so trans will be ready). Also will be doing 4.10s with a limited slip diff.

So while the swap would be down the road, id like all the necassary info well in advance. This will still be adaily driver so this is for personal enjoyment not a race truck.

So thanks for any and all answers. Very much appreciated.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L swap

I own a 1999 L.

If you intend to keep the factory powdered metal rods, you want to keep to 8-10 Lbs boost and no more. The rods have a long history of causing grief.

If you stick to stage 1 or 2 cams, you will still have a good DD.

The ported heads will actually help a bit and not hurt.

As for tranny....it had better be a 4r100.......or you will see it nuke, rebuilt or not.

The lightnings had 440 ft/lbs torque. The torque converter doubles that.

Your tranny will see 880+ ft/lbs torque.......The smaller ones will be outclassed in a hurry.

Miz

Last edited by mizlplix; 11-25-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:56 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Duff2000F150
Hi there guys.

I have been a long time lurker of this site gathering info for my truck but its come up that i have a few specific questions now.

Ive read several times over the lightning swap procedure. The issue being is mad enterprises website no longer exists. So does someone have the complete list of need parts to do the swap?

Another question i have is has anyone done ported heads and cams in combo with the lightning swap? If so how has it affected your truck? And does it keep it still daily drivable.

For future refrence i have a 2000 2wd scab with the 5.4. Soon to come (here in the next few months) will be long tube headers, dual exhaust with necassary x pipe as well as hi flow cats. Then will be a custom tune. I recently had my tranny rebuilt here not long ago with all the goodies (red clutches, steel plates, and had the shift kit put in so trans will be ready). Also will be doing 4.10s with a limited slip diff.

So while the swap would be down the road, id like all the necassary info well in advance. This will still be adaily driver so this is for personal enjoyment not a race truck.

So thanks for any and all answers. Very much appreciated.
I've reposted the parts list with notes multiple times

when I get on the computer later, I'll post em all again here for you

Old 12-26-2015, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by mizlplix
I own a 1999 L.

If you intend to keep the factory powdered metal rods, you want to keep to 8-10 Lbs boost and no more. The rods have a long history of causing grief.

If you stick to stage 1 or 2 cams, you will still have a good DD.

The ported heads will actually help a bit and not hurt.

As for tranny....it had better be a 4r100.......or you will see it nuke, rebuilt or not.

The lightnings had 440 ft/lbs torque. The torque converter doubles that.

Your tranny will see 880+ ft/lbs torque.......The smaller ones will be outclassed in a hurry.

Miz
well since you be cool, I have a twin turbo dohc Lightning...

and my lifted supercab has been supercharged most of its life, the 4r70w hasn't shelled yet even towing and 16# of boost on tap

but thanks for spreading the false info and lying to the OP

Old 12-29-2015, 06:33 PM

I happen to have his parts list, along with my notes

Originally Posted by list
- Intercooler Reservoir with Cap – cannot use with the N/A fan shroud without modification – hence why I chose to use the JLP “street tank”
- IAC Tube , not needed I used heater hose on both my Lightning (when it was supercharged)and the green truck
- Throttle Cable – hard to find, a few guys have used modified lokar cables
- Throttle Cable Bracket – hard to find BUT there’s a guy on LR making ‘em and I’m am working on having these recreated locallyCruise Control Cable – hard to find (can run the truck without cruise)
- IAT 1 Sensor (fits in air cleaner) not needed if you maintain the stock N/A engine harness
- Water Pump Spacer or Lighting Water Pump (IF not using e-fans)
- PCV Tube (left hand side) I use heater hose and it works great
- TB to MAF Rubber Connector with clamps (might as well get a used stock unit '01-'04 or an aftermarket setup)
- 90mm MAF (might as well find a used SCT BA 2400/2600)
- Intake Gasket Set (I reused my stockers)
- In-Tank Fuel Pump In stock (a single 255 lph one work just fine and comes with the harness adapter)
- Upper Radiator Hose Available (not needed)
- Upper Two Intercooler Hoses (not needed as heater hose works just fine)
- Supercharger Intake Manifold Bolts (the N/A ones are too long)
- Crank Drive Pulley with Belt (Boost level of your choice) the stock caged pulley will not work on the N/A harmonic balancer
- Lightning Fan Shroud – only needed if you cannot shave your N/A one down a half inch OR must use the stock I/C tank
- Plastic Solenoid Cover – looks great but isn't required
- OE Heat Exchanger Brackets these mount the H/E to the bumper brackets, I made my own, and am working on having these recreated
as far as completing the swap, let me know if you have trouble following the "how to"s posted here

Old 12-31-2015, 12:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what year truck?

how many miles?

what is your budget?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lightning Swap