05 5.4 3v build thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 08:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kaisdaddy
Yea when he said that I was like I'll probably just get the 60lbs injectors anyways and send them the tune info. I'll talk to Jim Jr more about it tomorrow
That's my approach. Build it the way you want, then have them tune it. I see more and more tuners dealing out crappy advice for build parts simply because it's faster or easier to tune which helps their bottom line.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 5.4 3v build thread

No worries man, I'd rather see you build it your way. I just saw you mention the 47# injectors and figured I'd weigh in...
What are your ultimate power goals?
Boost?
And supporting mods?
Check here for injector sizing:
http://www.witchhunter.com/injectorcalc1.php

If your power goals are north of 600 then I'd say go 60# also.. My personal goals are modest at 500-550 peak safely. Hence the 47#ers..

My only advise would be to talk to Jim SR.. He is the actual tuner, and he will help correct any misunderstandings.. I had some conflicting info in my conversations with Jim Jr too.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by twinskrewd
That's my approach. Build it the way you want, then have them tune it. I see more and more tuners dealing out crappy advice for build parts simply because it's faster or easier to tune which helps their bottom line.
Yea exactly but I do like hearing others opinions. But the 47s he suggested just seemed like not enough to me. Thanks for your input.

On another note happened about a month ago but I just saw it today...2015 Mustang Whipple Supercharged does 207mph

https://whipplesuperchargers.com/ind...iew&news_id=19

Old 06-22-2015, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by Especial86
No worries man, I'd rather see you build it your way. I just saw you mention the 47# injectors and figured I'd weigh in...
What are your ultimate power goals?
Boost?
And supporting mods?
Check here for injector sizing:
http://www.witchhunter.com/injectorcalc1.php

If your power goals are north of 600 then I'd say go 60# also.. My personal goals are modest at 500-550 peak safely. Hence the 47#ers..

My only advise would be to talk to Jim SR.. He is the actual tuner, and he will help correct any misunderstandings.. I had some conflicting info in my conversations with Jim Jr too.
Yea man no problem and thank you for the quick response.

As far as goals I just want to push this motor far but keeping it safe. I would like 600whp like everyone else but we'll see when its finished.

I plan on running the 2.50 upper and the metco 7.55 on the crank. Dont (exactly) know where it would put me as far as boost goes but it should make 18psi but ported heads and longtubes will take away some boost.

Down the road I would like to upgrade the throttle body just dont know if I wanna go Twin's route and run the 90mm or go RossFX4's route and upgrade the elbow to the lightning elbow and gt oval throttle body. Most likely will do 90mm because of budget. There's many other possibilities im willing to consider but have to look into. Bigger intercooler tank will for sure be upgraded. Water/Meth is a maybe but not too worried about that yet. Really just want to get the motor built and back in the truck and running.

And yes I will probably talk to Jim Sr.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:13 PM
Snapped a pic of the motor

Old 07-17-2015, 12:32 PM
Engine is currently being built, should have it back by 1st or 2nd week of august. Dropped the trans off yesterday to get built as well. I contacted JDM today to put in a order for a custom tune so I could have it by the time the truck is back together. After I sent them the tune info they said they cannot remote tune my truck due to the BA5000 sensor being too big and not that great of a sensor compared to others, and also because I will be running the TI Automotive fuel pump that Irons1n and RobertP are running and they said they have no experience with it either. So im stuck with going to another company for the tune or bringing the truck and having it dyno tuned

Old 07-17-2015, 02:54 PM
I have a JDM tune and have had zero issues with my fuel pump, I never even asked or told them about it. JDM and I had a bit of an argument over my camshaft tuning. While my current tune is fine they basically told me to find a local guy to tune my truck after spending a few grand with them. Basically I plan to buy the SCT software and do it myself eventually.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:33 PM
A little update; received the Whipple supercharger in the mail about 2 weeks ago. Motor should be ready to pick up next week as well as the trans. Also ordered the 2.50 upper pulley from Whipple since they didn't want to exchange it for the 3.00 that came with the kit. Also ordered granatelli coil spring upgrade. Not bad for $100 and a lot better than $80 per coil pack. Still deciding on fan controller leaning towards painless but still skeptical with some of the reviews they've had lately. Also I was reading through the Whipple install manual and was looking at the maintenance part, Whipple suggests running a 75/25 coolant mix with a bottle of water wetter what do you guys run? It doesn't that hot here in Illinois its cold most of the time rather than hot so I wouldn't want this mix due to it freezing in the winter. Any suggestions?

Old 08-23-2015, 03:27 PM
3.00" next to the 2.50"

Old 08-25-2015, 12:41 PM
Also I was reading through the Whipple install manual and was looking at the maintenance part, Whipple suggests running a 75/25 coolant mix with a bottle of water wetter what do you guys run? It doesn't that hot here in Illinois its cold most of the time rather than hot so I wouldn't want this mix due to it freezing in the winter. Any suggestions?
50/50 is good to below -30F. What are the low temps like where you are at? 40AF/60Water is good to below 0F

Old 08-25-2015, 02:43 PM
05 5.4 3v build thread

A little update; received the Whipple supercharger in the mail about 2 weeks ago. Motor should be ready to pick up next week as well as the trans. Also ordered the 2.50 upper pulley from Whipple since they didn't want to exchange it for the 3.00 that came with the kit. Also ordered granatelli coil spring upgrade. Not bad for $100 and a lot better than $80 per coil pack. Still deciding on fan controller leaning towards painless but still skeptical with some of the reviews they've had lately. Also I was reading through the Whipple install manual and was looking at the maintenance part, Whipple suggests running a 75/25 coolant mix with a bottle of water wetter what do you guys run? It doesn't that hot here in Illinois its cold most of the time rather than hot so I wouldn't want this mix due to it freezing in the winter. Any suggestions?
I've been through 1 winter with water wetter, and 75/25 with no issues.. I'm in Massachusetts..
You gonna be selling that 3" pulley?
I might be a buyer if you are..

Last edited by Especial86; 08-25-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:36 AM
Hell one winter day last year it was -40 with a wind chill that felt like it was -60. When I started the truck (had the diablo tuner at the time) my trans temp was at -76 and engine oil temp at -56. I think I'll most likely run 50/50 because our summers here in Illinois don't get as hot and I'll be running the 170 tstat. Especial you never had any problems with your mix freezing in the winter? And to answer your question yes pulley is for sale, no use to me as I'll be running the 8 rib setup

Old 08-28-2015, 06:39 AM

Most expensive paper weight I've ever seen

Old 08-28-2015, 08:51 AM
05 5.4 3v build thread

Hell one winter day last year it was -40 with a wind chill that felt like it was -60. When I started the truck (had the diablo tuner at the time) my trans temp was at -76 and engine oil temp at -56. I think I'll most likely run 50/50 because our summers here in Illinois don't get as hot and I'll be running the 170 tstat. Especial you never had any problems with your mix freezing in the winter? And to answer your question yes pulley is for sale, no use to me as I'll be running the 8 rib setup
Jesus! Sounds damn near apocalyptic down in Illinois!.
I'd run straight Mercury if I was seeing temps that low lol!
I've had zero issues down to -20 wind chills and zero degree temps. I even drove over 100 miles in the worst 4' 3 day snow storm of season last year on snow-packed highways.
I'd run 50/50 if I was you too, or maybe even 60/40.. Come to think of it, after I swapped my intercooler pump before the winter, I actually switched to 50/50 and water wetter..

PM me... Let me know what you want for that pulley..
Just throwing these out there since they might be useful to you..
I've got an extra 05+ 3v fuel rail if your interested..
Also got a new 7" electric fan you could mount on your stock whipple intercooler.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:44 PM
Yea our weather here gets goofy from time to time, on Halloween last year it snowed but anyways I'll probably run the 50/50 mix with a bottle of water wetter as well. If the temperatures start to get extreme I'll add a little bit of coolant for winter and then add water for summer. Talked to the trans guy today he's working on my trans he's been super backed up. Also "should" be getting my motor back by the end of next week I guess we'll see. Haven't had my truck running since march I think I might go crazy

Quick Reply: 05 5.4 3v build thread