Turbocharging a 2003 F150 Boss 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbocharging a 2003 F150 Boss 5.4

F150online members, would y'all please guide me in the right direction? I have a 2003 F150 Boss 5.4 and I want to make it GOOO!

I'm open to supercharging my baby or going with a twin turbo setup but I need some advice. I have been told going with a supercharger is probably the easiest rout, but I don't want to take the easy way. I want my baby too not only look like a sexy beast but also perform like a beast, and if turbocharging it is the way to go for overall better performance, that is the way I will go.

Please, PLEASE assist me anyway you can. Have you ever done anything like this with your 5.4 F150? Where did you start? What worked best for you? Supercharger? Turbo/Turbos??

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-30-2014, 02:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you planning to keep the engine stock?

what I regret is not having gone turbo now that my engine is going to be built

Old 10-30-2014, 10:29 AM
dmp
Powerful. Reliable. Inexpensive - you may pick only TWO. There is NO "easy button", bro.

What does 'better' performance mean to you? What are you goals? Dyno numbers? Quarter mile? Burn outs? Understeer and body roll? What do you like.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
he lost me at "2003 F150 Boss 5.4"

Old 10-30-2014, 01:29 PM
Thank you for your time BROTHERDAVE.

Good question, widj. I would like to keep the engine stock, but I will modify it if needed.

What direction would of you taken to turbocharged it? Also just curious, did you end up going with a supercharger?

dmp, if I had to choose two, I would go with power, and reliability.

Better performance to me means the most/best amount of HP/Torque and MPG. That's one of the reasons I am leaning a little more towards going turbo.

Thanks for the replies guys. Any advice is very well appreciated!

Old 10-30-2014, 02:13 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
he lost me at "2003 F150 Boss 5.4"
Never seen one before? They are pretty uncommon.

Name:  17837_zpsf3f2b1bd.jpg
Views: 4107
Size:  151.3 KB

Old 10-30-2014, 02:18 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by 1990Boss5.4
Thank you for your time BROTHERDAVE.

Good question, widj. I would like to keep the engine stock, but I will modify it if needed.

What direction would of you taken to turbocharged it? Also just curious, did you end up going with a supercharger?

dmp, if I had to choose two, I would go with power, and reliability.

Better performance to me means the most/best amount of HP/Torque and MPG. That's one of the reasons I am leaning a little more towards going turbo.

Thanks for the replies guys. Any advice is very well appreciated!
To get the most of any supercharger or turbo you WILL need a built shortblock.

The stock engine in your truck will be maxed out by around 500hp (crank) or so and even at that you may be pushing it. Ford Racing has a good forged shortblock that I could get you into for $3728.00 shipped and it should handle pretty much anything you can throw at it in a street truck (given proper supporting mods and tuning).

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=10468

A twin turbo will likely give the most power but a supercharger might be easier to live with on a daily basis, each has it's advantages and drawbacks.

-Steve

Last edited by Tasca Ford Parts; 10-31-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:45 AM

if stock then a supercharger is easier to setup and tune, I'd say don't exceed 400rwhp / 450rwtq on a stock engine, this is asking for trouble from my experience, now there are guys on the forum that didn't have any issue running higher, but I did at about 460/560.

my engine failed after putting too much abuse with a supercharger (Roush M112) (stock engine), now that I'm getting my engine built, my power is limited by the size of my supercharger, which I find very frustrating and wouldn't be an issue if I would have gone turbo since the beginning.

I do not know who can do a turbo kit for a 5.4 3V

Old 10-31-2014, 12:55 PM
Former Sponsor
Hellion produces twin turbo kits for the 6.2 Raptor, I have no clue how hard that would be to adapt to a 5.4.

http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/i...bo-systems/202

Old 11-05-2014, 04:30 PM
Widj, right now I'm leaning a little more towards a supercharger because being a Ford employee I can get parts/accessories at a very well price. However, I'm more interested in going turbo.

I actually just got of the phone with Hellion Power Systems, Tasca Ford Parts. Unfortunately, they do not have anything for the 5.4 in my F150, but they did referred me to a local shop (Wichita Dyno) that might build one for me!

I am very excited to talk visit this shop!!

I will keep y'all posted and thank you so much for the advice

Old 11-09-2014, 09:29 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
F150online members, would y'all please guide me in the right direction? I have a 2003 F150 Boss 5.4 and I want to make it GOOO!

I'm open to supercharging my baby or going with a twin turbo setup but I need some advice. I have been told going with a supercharger is probably the easiest rout, but I don't want to take the easy way. I want my baby too not only look like a sexy beast but also perform like a beast, and if turbocharging it is the way to go for overall better performance, that is the way I will go.

Please, PLEASE assist me anyway you can. Have you ever done anything like this with your 5.4 F150? Where did you start? What worked best for you? Supercharger? Turbo/Turbos??

Thanks in advance!
honestly, the easiest / cheapest route is a centrifugal setup

with your desire for a non molested longblock, a turbo setup will be far from cost effective BUT trick performance offers a two valve kit (based for Lightnings) that you could easily modify for your n/a truck

Quick Reply: Turbocharging a 2003 F150 Boss 5.4