procharger so disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 06:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
procharger so disappointed

Hi guys, 1997 scab 4.6 auto, I boughta second hand prochargerkit a while back, and finally got around to putting it in. Well, I got a mechanic to put it in.
I live in Australia, so am behind the eightball to start with..
Finally it was installed, the mechanic said it blew a pisron on thefinal test drive, so I spent a bucket of money to rebuild the bottom end, anddecided to go all the good bits, all forged, all super strong.
So, in australia, when you own an import, especially these, you need to order 90% of the parts through the u.s.
Finally got it back, now the mechanic says it is only pulling 6-7psi. there is no difference in performance.
It runs rich, it stalls sometimes at idle or deceleration, DRINKS THE FUEL.
So pee'd off. I know it is not the prochargerkit, I think it is his tune, if that is what can call it.
You should also know that the kitcame with 40lb injectors and bigger maf. He installed the injectors and not the maf.
I have been back to him, he doesnt give a hoot.
Thoughts about what I can do?
Oh the pulleysize on the charger measures 4inches

Old 09-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry about your bad experience. **** poor tuners are a problem everywhere. Contact JDM. They can get you squared away. They are here in the states but I have no doubt they can get you running strong. In the mean time avoid wide open throttle. Even a built motor will suffer damage from an improper tune.

http://www.teamjdm.com
Mailing Address:
JDM Engineering
60 Jerseyville Ave
Freehold, New Jersey 07728
Phone: 732.780.0770
Fax: 732.780.1715

Old 09-15-2014, 04:47 AM
thanks

Thanks so much I will indeed be contacting them

Old 09-16-2014, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by Crash!
If I had a wide band A/F gauge, I could dial it in with the FMU. I am sorry to hear of your experience. It is best to have a good tuner writing your codes for sure.

But get the base installation verified. No leaks, belt slippage, and so on. Then we can look at upgrades. I am still running an our of the box system, with an FMU. I have for almost 2 years. I can help. Call or PM me please.

I would really like to know what happened to that engine. Do you have data logs?
I have pmD you with the whole story Crash!

Old 09-19-2014, 05:48 AM
Ok, yep I live down under, in western australia. Perth is my option for reputable tuners.
I have two hand pieces
Yes I do have dust. Looks like the automatic tensioner pulley is rubbing on the main bracket.
I will head to pms and read your response
Thanks heaps

Old 12-12-2014, 03:51 AM
Hi crash, has been a bit quiet on my behalf lately. So here is the update :
I obtained a 90mm maf and chucked the 80. Returned to my original mechanic as he is not charging ATM. He then says that he can now tune it as he couldn't before ( as you said Crash), but previously he did not mention that when he handed me the keys.
So anyway. He spend time with it on the dyno. Reportedly hit the 330mark, but said boost was kicking in sometimes and not others. So I researched and replaced the bypass valve. Truck is running better. I will be strapping it to the dyno in the next week or so to see for myself what it is doing. I had to stick with the original mechanic as money is tight.
But I am wanting go to increase psi to around the 12 area. I will chat with you Crash about that.
Thanks again Crash for all your input and advice

Old 12-12-2014, 07:03 AM
First congrats. I have a P1 on my 2003 Mach that I installed myself and had Kurgan tune. My first question that I didn't see in the thread, do you have a P1 or D1? (I ask due to the 12 psi you are wanting to achieve, not sure but I think 12 psi is getting close to D1 territory). The only issue I had was the MAF with Diablo MAFia was giving "dirty" air, went with a slot style HPX MAF. I have a 3.85 pulley and made 9.6 boost (this is with a stock 6" crank pulley). You or tuner can tweak on boost level by changing lower/P1 pulley or just blower pulley. I would also check to make sure you are not having belt slippage. Also make sure you have a GOOD tensioner. I had an issue with shreading belts (it would cut one rib off belt for no reason). I had pulleys laser aligned and still happenned, come to find out my brand new Motorcfraft tensioner wasn't up to the job, I got a Goodyear tensioner and issue went away (the single bolt tensioner set up sucks). Good luck and hope I helped somewhat with my experience, I as well bought a used kit for $2500, took me 3 months to install (I am OCD lol), but once you are done will be all worth it so hang in there. BTW, it is a 4V 4.6 L, running #39 injectors, 290 LPH Walbro fuel pump with a 40 A Boost A Pump (oh, also make sure to ask tuner what your fuel pump duty cycle is and make sure fuel isn't an issue), HPX MAF. With a 3.85 pulley made 467HP/435 Tq at 9.6 lbs boost, 14 degrees timing (another thing to find out) and 82 % fuel pump duty cycle. I am also0 running a Tial Q50 BOV (this is only important to seal good for boost, and to open correctly to bleed air so you don't hurt the seals in blower). I have a stock motor and installed kut at 129,000 miles (now at 135K) and running 2 Steeda oil seps that stay dry with just slight mist of oil. A good A/F gage is a must, at idle shoudf see 14 to 15, at WOT I see about 11. Also a boost/vacuum gage may not be needed, but I like to see boost level, personal choice on that. Keep the updates coming.

BTW: I sure could have used you Crash! when I was doing my install, on Mach with the room it was a nightmare install, and the 3 row I/C din't help, kit fought me at every turn, to do over I would change timing cover and go with a 3 bolt Thumprr, as well a 8 rib set up, Gates Micro V bely worked good, but I like the Gatorback better.

Last edited by Mach 1; 12-12-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:35 AM
Its a p1.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:47 AM
My crank pulley is about 7.68 inches....? And the charger pulley is 3.7....
My tensioner seems to be rubbing its pulley on the main bracket.. it does have some lateral movement in it.
When I am driving, and plant it, it only goes out to around 5psi, but I have seen it go up to 9ish,

Last edited by DLWTHIT; 12-14-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:39 PM
[QUOTE=DLWTHIT;5122880]My crank pulley is about 7.68 inches....? And the charger pulley is 3.7....
My tensioner seems to be rubbing its pulley on the main bracket.. it does have some lateral movement in it.
When I am driving, and plant it, it only goes out to around 5psi, but I have seen it go up to 9ish,[/QUOTE]

Classic symptom of bely slip, when you say tensioner pulley rubbing, do you mean the atual pulley on the tensioner?? Is it a stock tensioner? If it is doing that sounds like the tensioner needs or may need to be clocked. Would love to see a pic of that. On Mach my tensioner had a "ear" on it that I had to cut off so tensioner could do its full travel..pics for example

procharger so disappointed-w3zrforl.jpg

You can see in this pic where I removed pulley and cut off the "ear", would like to see a pic of yours to see if maybe something like this is going on

procharger so disappointed-xq0pgxql.jpg

Old 12-15-2014, 04:15 AM

If you look carefully, your can see where the pulley is rubbing on the main back bracket.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:17 AM
Old 12-15-2014, 04:19 AM

See there is no clearance between pulley and main plate. I was thinking I could shim it to bring it out a bit

Old 12-15-2014, 04:20 AM
AndAnd you can see all the dust that it is causing.so i am continually cleaning the intake filter.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:27 AM

This is what my ute looked like when I purchased it, it was the pace truck for world series sprint cars here in Australia.

Quick Reply: procharger so disappointed