CAI issue, after replacing the Roush airbox?

Old 08-03-2014, 12:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy CAI issue, after replacing the Roush airbox?

Hi there,

the M112 came with a Roush airbox, I bought k&n 57-2556 ( http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=57-2556 ) and the engine will idle rough and dies, ideas?

First it doesn't fit right, but I was thinking of testing it first before getting a garage to find proper fittings for it.

The issue that I have is no matter how I install the k&n CAI the engine won't turn properly, like revving very low, seems like it is out of breath and dies after a few seconds.

I moved the MAF sensor to the k&n, it is plugged and also what I believe is a vacuum line, however from what I see, the Roush vacuum metal line sensor goes deeper in the tube of the CAI than the one from the k&n, might explain why or I am not sure.

Does the tune has to be updated if I am to use a k&n CAI?

k&n CAI, rough engine idling and die

stock CAI, takes time to get used to it for the first few seconds then all good

Old 08-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
JEEZ.....the k+n vid clip sounds like yer killing it

first.....there's an arrow on the maf....make sure its pointed the right direction when the k+n is installed....

second....it looks as if the tube sizes are different where the maf is installed....that's a good indication that the tune needs to be rewritten

third....why switch???.... there's nothing really wrong with a roush air box....plus with the k+n with no box yer sucking in a lot of extra heat

Old 08-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
JEEZ.....the k+n vid clip sounds like yer killing it

first.....there's an arrow on the maf....make sure its pointed the right direction when the k+n is installed....

second....it looks as if the tube sizes are different where the maf is installed....that's a good indication that the tune needs to be rewritten

third....why switch???.... there's nothing really wrong with a roush air box....plus with the k+n with no box yer sucking in a lot of extra heat
first. yes it was pointed in the right direction, and there is no way to put it to the other direction, I checked

second. yes the maf isn't located at the same location, and tubing size is different, the roush tube seems to be larger

third. I want a loud whine, and I believe only a CAI can accomplish that..

Old 08-03-2014, 05:35 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
different tube size requires tune changes = fact

current issue = operator error

resolution = put it back the way it was until you have a tune ready for the desired change

Old 08-04-2014, 11:31 AM
For those with a Roush blower on the 2004-2008 F150, if you have a CAI please pm me, as I'm desperately trying to adapt one for it.

JDM told me that the k&n air intake has a smaller MAF housing than the Roush inlet tube therefore making it more restrictive, I'll be returning the k&n kit.

I'm thinking of cutting the Roush tube just after the MAF and somehow make my own tubing with a cone filter, I'm expecting to hear the whine after that, thoughts?
I'm scare to cut it as if I do and it doesn't work then

Last edited by Bluejay; 08-29-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why switch???.... there's nothing really wrong with a roush air box....plus with the k+n with no box yer sucking in a lot of extra heat
My thoughts exactly, you have done a number of mods to make power. I have been quietly reading, because, It might give me Ideas, for my roush sc.Then put on a cai that makes less power.... I'm confused on what you are trying to accomplish

Old 08-05-2014, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by widj
For those with a Roush blower on the 2004-2008 F150, if you have a CAI please pm me, as I'm desperately trying to adapt one for it.

JDM told me that the k&n air intake has a smaller MAF housing than the Roush inlet tube therefore making it more restrictive, I'll be returning the k&n kit.

I'm thinking of cutting the Roush tube just after the MAF and somehow make my own tubing with a cone filter, I'm expecting to hear the whine after that, thoughts?
I'm scare to cut it as if I do and it doesn't work then I'm
you want MORE WHINE????

uffda.....

get the blower ported plus pully it....larger lower with smaller upper

a Cai ain't going to change any sound except sucking air and you've already found that out....

Old 08-05-2014, 10:12 PM
blower is ported, silencer holes are filled, I can't put more boost than I have now (12PSI)

a CAI will make the whine louder, I don't understand why the 03-04 cobra are loud and the F150 verison of that M112 isn't, so lame

I'm thinking of cutting the Roush tube after the MAF and put a cone, but it looks tricky and JDM doesn't want to help me on that

Last edited by Bluejay; 08-29-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this what you are looking for?
Name:  CAM00051_zps4d46a9bb.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  88.2 KB
If you're lucky you might be able to find a Roush non-intercooled CAI somewhere.
I made it using two kits. First you need to find the CAI tube for a non-intercooled Roush f150 supercharger. You can find these sold separately.
Secondly, You need to find a Roush CAI for a normally aspirated 5.4 DO NOT buy one for a 4.6, they're not the same.
After that it's just mixing the two systems together.

BTW, mine works fine, No issues.

The reason I did it was because I didn't like the paper filter and because it's an odd size, only Roush makes replacements at $60. a pop.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by rojomas
Is this what you are looking for?

If you're lucky you might be able to find a Roush non-intercooled CAI somewhere.
I made it using two kits. First you need to find the CAI tube for a non-intercooled Roush f150 supercharger. You can find these sold separately.
Secondly, You need to find a Roush CAI for a normally aspirated 5.4 DO NOT buy one for a 4.6, they're not the same.
After that it's just mixing the two systems together.

BTW, mine works fine, No issues.

The reason I did it was because I didn't like the paper filter and because it's an odd size, only Roush makes replacements at $60. a pop.
that's exactly what I need lol!

but I can't find any part anywhere, can you show me a few sites with this please?

Old 08-29-2014, 12:15 AM

link>>> http://www.roushperformance.com/part...2004-2008.html

if I remember right airaid makes the roush kit....airaid part #401-140-2... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aid-401-140-2

might still have issues with the maf in a different tube size...

Last edited by 88racing; 08-29-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:33 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
blower is ported, silencer holes are filled, I can't put more boost than I have now (12PSI)

a CAI will make the whine louder, I don't understand why the 03-04 cobra are loud and the F150 verison of that M112 isn't, so lame

I'm thinking of cutting the Roush tube after the MAF and put a cone, but it looks tricky and JDM doesn't want to help me on that
That will defeat the MAF and cause all kinds of fuel/air ratio problems. Really a dumb idea.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:55 PM
link>>> http://www.roushperformance.com/part...2004-2008.html

if I remember right airaid makes the roush kit....airaid part #401-140-2... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aid-401-140-2

might still have issues with the maf in a different tube size...
it not the right one, this intake is for the non supercharged one, tubing is smaller than the one for the supercharger, also if you look at the entrance of the tube it is vertical, my supercharger is horizontal, will not work

Originally Posted by Bluejay
That will defeat the MAF and cause all kinds of fuel/air ratio problems. Really a dumb idea.
ya I won't go for this kit, I might go with a custom made CAI, the tubing has to be larger and I will re tune it, I find it dumb to have a supercharger and not being able to hear the whine

Old 08-29-2014, 04:07 PM

it not the right one, this intake is for the non supercharged one, tubing is smaller than the one for the supercharger, also if you look at the entrance of the tube it is vertical, my supercharger is horizontal, will not work

ya I won't go for this kit, I might go with a custom made CAI, the tubing has to be larger and I will re tune it, I find it dumb to have a supercharger and not being able to hear the whine
contact roush....see if they have any for the non intercooled supercharger...imo

Old 08-29-2014, 05:35 PM
contact roush....see if they have any for the non intercooled supercharger...imo
already did, those Roush CAI were discontinued a long time ago

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CAI issue, after replacing the Roush airbox?