Procharger tune help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 09:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Procharger tune help

I finally got the SC put back on my truck, but the tuner is telling me the log I sent over doesn’t have any useable data, short term fuel trims never show any activity so he's unable to make any tuning changes he says the front O2’s aren’t going into closed loop. Has anyone run into this prob? any ideas why the data isn't coming back?
'01 5.4L PS1

Old 04-10-2014, 09:34 PM
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

I've done a few things that might contribute to this problem. I wasn't showing any codes so I didn't think there was an issue
1) 4.6L to 5.4L swap I used the 4.6L ECM and a stategy tune to add the 5.4L
2) removed the catalytic converters added shorty headers and dual exhaust
3) supercharger just recently
I just checked for codes and a P1549 came up (intake manifold communication circuit, Bank 1

Old 04-10-2014, 11:53 PM
Suspended
Your tuner wants to look at fuel trims and maf ad counts at 1000 intervals with long term turned off. That info will be used to correct MAF transfer function. Then he can continue correcting tune from there. You can not have correct a/f ratio if transfer function is not set correctly even if you comand it. Ask tuner what pids he wants data log. I found it easier to do less and add as needed. New live wire you record lower case pids

Old 04-11-2014, 07:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by raider
Your tuner wants to look at fuel trims and maf ad counts at 1000 intervals with long term turned off. That info will be used to correct MAF transfer function. Then he can continue correcting tune from there. You can not have correct a/f ratio if transfer function is not set correctly even if you comand it. Ask tuner what pids he wants data log. I found it easier to do less and add as needed. New live wire you record lower case pids
Exactly!

Old 04-11-2014, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Crash!
I can see the STFT switching within a tenth of a second. Slightly positive. And below 1 point. Seeing graphs and seeing a time progression tells me you should have a complete data log. It definitely connected and recorded.

What kind of drivability problems are you having?
Can't really drive it, the base tune is in it with a rev limit setting at 3k, I sent this data over to them and they couldn't do anything with it. The reason for the 4.6 to 5.4 swap is due to lack of knowledge of forced induction and installing a "bolt on" kit with FMU and no tune<- so I'm very reluctant to change the rev limit setting and drive it, but my air/fuel is about 10.9:1 right now for 1000 to 4000 rpm so I doubt I would have any detonation problems.

to answer raider's question they wanted the following pids:
Environment | engine coolant temp F
Fuel | long term fuel trim bank 1
Fuel | long term fuel trim bank 2
Fuel | short term fuel trim bank 1
Fuel | short term fuel trim bank 2
Idle | IDLE AIR INTEGRATOR
MAF | AIR FLOW #/MIN
MAF | LOAD
MAF | MAF AD COUNTS
Miscellaneous | rpm
Miscellaneous| torque source
Miscellaneous| run time
Spark | BORDERLINE SPARK
Spark | spark
Spark | SPARK SOURCE
Throttle | tp volts

Old 04-11-2014, 10:27 AM
here's what my lack of knowledge of forced induction did with a bolt on kit w/FMU and not at least talking to a professional or having it tuned.[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-11-2014, 09:12 PM
actually that was caused by a too lean condition at max boost, detonating causing the sides of 3 pistons to be ate away to the rings. almost looks like the pistons were machined. I think the carbon came from running it after the piston damage. I tried adjusting the FMU to bring the A/F richer at that time but it was just too inconsistent and that was the result after about 3000 mi.

The 10.9 is actually with no FMU, 30lb injectors @ approx 49psi fuel pressure. I can put the FMU back on but would rather have a it tuned so I don't need it. I did order some 42 lb injectors just haven't received them yet.

Last edited by joe_mamma; 04-17-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:24 AM
Suspended
Do you have a a/f ratio gauge? If not get a good one...you don't need 2. Get your tune nailed first like I posted above before you tweek anything else. Don't add any more pids.. If any thing take some out so your tuner can see what's going on.

Crash you missed the detonation in his pictures

Old 04-14-2014, 12:43 PM
So, I didn't realize I could plug my wideband o2 into my SCT tuner, I'm guessing I can get some better data tonight once I do that. Also they made some improvements on my tune with what I was seeing at the truck so I can probably get a better log.

Last edited by joe_mamma; 04-14-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:58 PM
Suspended
To tune it correctly you turn off adaptive learning so you won't read long term fuel trims.. You will read short terms and adjust the transfer function at various rpms and continue your graph in a smooth matter. Then you input you command a/f ratio. No need for more pids...you even do this after loading a value file for a certain MAF sensor...talk to your tuner for assistance on this..don't take someone's word when they have never scaled a tune

Old 04-16-2014, 04:42 PM
Crash, what do you think the next step would be? I have a grand. I need to get this truck on the road and will pay for your services

Old 04-16-2014, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by joe_mamma
Crash, what do you think the next step would be? I have a grand. I need to get this truck on the road and will pay for your services
Before you waste any more money on procharger junk, id definitely recommend consulting with a new tuner. Do your homework on who has a proven track record.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by 4x4dave
Before you waste any more money on procharger junk, id definitely recommend consulting with a new tuner. Do your homework on who has a proven track record.
Well the Procharger works fine, it's trying to get the Ford to recognize the change and I would guess it would be the same for whatever junk I bolt to it. These forums are great for pissing contests, I'm not into that. I'm just trying to get this figured out. Any constructive help is well appreciated. I originally went with a proven track record tuner from recommendations from this forum and I'm not much farther than when I started a month ago. I'm not saying their bad, just busy I guess.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Suspended
Joe_mamma here is my advice to you. Find a good tuner in your area where you can go ask ?'s and get answers. Don't rely on someone else doing that for you. If you are going to write a check and just pay someone to do all your work thats fine. You will get more out of it if you take the time to educate yourself and performing your own work.

Many ears ago Crash sent me to a tuner and that guy sucked a$$. I dropped him and did my own research and in the end tuned my last project with help from 2 great tuners.

Everyone is going to give you there opinion on what parts/services to use. In the end its up to you to research before you buy.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to agree that you need to do your homework ,and then some. Best to read and read and ask. What works for one guy won't for the other.

IMHO I don't trust one singel thing an aftermarket company states. The numbers are always fluffed. Take what anyone has to say on the net with a grain of salt!

Quick Reply: Procharger tune help