roushcharger with stage 3 cams

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
roushcharger with stage 3 cams

After thinking about this for a while I've decided to go with a non intercooled roushcharger, obx long tube headers, high flow cats, roush catbacks, e fans, and a saleen radiator. I just need to decide on the cams. Stage 1, 2, or 3 blower comp cams? I want the cam sound and good performance, but a little concerned about how mpg will be affected? And what power will this set up make? Thanks in advance for replies.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're worried about MPGs at all, I don't know if you should do any of this! Haha just kiddin. I'm not experienced on this kind of thing, but if you're throwing all of that stuff onto a bone stock motor, it isn't gonna last very long. Do you have forged internals or anything?

Old 04-25-2013, 12:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your gonna need 'Basic' gain cams if you don't upgrade the springs and fit phaser limits.

I wouldn't bother with cams, fit an AEM water / Meth kit.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:32 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
My advice... Blower, dynatech header kit (1390 from troyer performance) has headers, cats and kit exhausts bolt right to it. No sketchy bends or fitment issues. Then the catback of your choice. Roush, Borla, Magnaflow etc

Old 04-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694;4980[QUOTE=KMAC0694
209]
I'm not experienced on this kind of thing,
Obviously!! So why are you commenting???

Originally Posted by KMAC0694
but if you're throwing all of that stuff onto a bone stock motor, it isn't gonna last very long.
Wrong!!!!

To the OP. you will be money ahead to use the intercooled kit. They are marked down to around $3500 right now and they are showing up in the classifieds both here and f150forum. Using the non intercooled kit and adding cams might get you close to the power you would have with the intercooled kit. And you will always be limited by not having the intercooler. Also adding a meth water injection kit and tuning for it will cost the same as just getting the intercooled kit.

So get the Roush intercooled kit, some longtube headers (dynotechs are the best)true 2.5" dual exhaust and you will have something. The Saleen rad isn't going to do anything for you. The stock rad performs just fine. And as mentioned above a Troyer tune.

Last edited by twinskrewd; 04-25-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:55 PM
If the OP'er is buying new then a secondhand IC version or even a whipple should work out cheaper. ($1200 whipple in Craig's list)

Even with the IC version IDE stay away from cams. There's plenty of other upgrades before hand. Better HE, maybe a KC. Comp cost $700 upwards. That money could get a real good Port & Polished head unit.

Unless you at least fit springs, the cam will only yield small gains and probably close to red line.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
yeah, definitely get the intercooled kit.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Intercooled and maybe stage 1 or 2 cams. Cams require stall converters and regearing if you go to agressive. Also you have to see what rpms the cam "kicks in". If its from 4-7000rpm then it'd make the truck undrivable and gutless on the street

Old 04-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Yeah the IC is pretty much a no brain'er.

When I rolled my truck the tuner accounted the steady boost to the Port job.

There's a guy on LR & LG that ports blowers for a decent dollar. He would probably do the head unit, TB & Plenum hat.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:28 PM

Twinskrewd, how long can you expect a stock motor with a cam and a blower on it to last? You obviously know more than I do about this, but I've seen JUST a cam trash motors within 50k miles when put on at brand new. His truck is 7 years old already. I'm thinking long term, no motor that's messed with like that is gonna last a very long time

Old 04-25-2013, 04:47 PM

The OP is worried about freaking gas mileage, which tells me that he'd probably be worried if his motor went. The truck is old enough to have 100k + miles on it, and I don't see a motor handling all of that with that kind of mileage on it (if it's that high), it stresses the motor. *And "lasting very long" is relative, so you can correct me all you want and tell me that that's wrong. But, "long" to me is 150k + miles. Not running a setup for a few years and rebuilding the motor. If you're gonna build a really strong motor that'll take the stress with no sweat, it's a lot more money that the OP is likely looking to spend. You're assuming that he's looking to blow a ton of cash on this. I'm looking at it from his viewpoint, he wants bang for the buck and decent gas mileage, and likely with it, motor longevity. He suggested using cheaper-end supercharger and headers to save cash. You're suggesting that he spend another $2k+ than he was intending to spend. Yes, that is definitely the better option for him, but it's likely a good deal of money for him spend. But we'll see when the OP posts again.

And btw, I said "I'm not experienced with this" out of respect for the guys like you that run all of this and know all the ins and outs and all the little details. I never told him exactly what to do or went into specifics; I used relative terms that are up to interpretation.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:56 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I'm eating up knowledge on this from these guys. I plan to have 450-500rwhp in a few years. You even think of supercharging, do it once, do it right. Taking short cuts is nothing to screw with f/I. Their advice is spot on IMO. I'll be researching a built block.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Twinskrewd, how long can you expect a stock motor with a cam and a blower on it to last? You obviously know more than I do about this, but I've seen JUST a cam trash motors within 50k miles when put on at brand new. His truck is 7 years old already. I'm thinking long term, no motor that's messed with like that is gonna last a very long time
I can assure you cams did not add enough power to trash a motor. Whoever had the truck trashed it. Poor tuning, no tune, improper octane, drove the **** out of it, lack of service, etc etc. Or it could have just been a bad motor. Seen plenty of blown up NA trucks and transmissions. Again it wasn't the cams or the power produced by them.

The OP is worried about freaking gas mileage, which tells me that he'd probably be worried if his motor went. The truck is old enough to have 100k + miles on it, and I don't see a motor handling all of that with that kind of mileage on it (if it's that high), it stresses the motor. *And "lasting very long" is relative, so you can correct me all you want and tell me that that's wrong. But, "long" to me is 150k + miles. Not running a setup for a few years and rebuilding the motor. If you're gonna build a really strong motor that'll take the stress with no sweat, it's a lot more money that the OP is likely looking to spend. You're assuming that he's looking to blow a ton of cash on this. I'm looking at it from his viewpoint, he wants bang for the buck and decent gas mileage, and likely with it, motor longevity. He suggested using cheaper-end supercharger and headers to save cash. You're suggesting that he spend another $2k+ than he was intending to spend. Yes, that is definitely the better option for him, but it's likely a good deal of money for him spend. But we'll see when the OP posts again.

And btw, I said "I'm not experienced with this" out of respect for the guys like you that run all of this and know all the ins and outs and all the little details. I never told him exactly what to do or went into specifics; I used relative terms that are up to interpretation.
I hardly think the OP is worried about gas mileage. He simply ask how it would be affected. Thats a pretty normal question. It's called good planning. You made an awful lot of assumptions in the post above. For one you accused me of assuming he is looking to blow a ton of cash. Do yourself a favor and don't do that again. You have no idea what angle I'm coming from because you have no experince in this department. Your entire post is based on your flawed assumptions. So here it goes...

The OP never stated mileage on vehicle. And frankly it doesn't matter. If he's taken care of it and stayed on top of the oil changes he will be fine.

The OP mentioned a Roushcharger non ic, cams, OBX headers, highflow cats, catback system, Saleen rad, and of course he will need a custom tune . Thats $5500. He never said anything about it being cheap. It appears he wants boost, good power, good sound, and that cam'd idle every gear head loves. All good products but not the best bang for the buck, not the best combination, and power output would be severly limited. So I made the suggestions I did which can total $4800 to just over $5000 depending on the headers and exhaust he chooses. So how is it I assumed he is looking to blow a ton of cash?? And how did I suggest he spend so much more then originally planned? Damn you sound like a nagging wife about the money. I'll await your response

Now you mentioned engine longevity and building a motor to handle all this power blah blah blah. There is no reason whatsoever that the OP can't run 100k,200k, or even 300,000 miles with a supercharged 5.4 making
400+rwhp. Hell Mike Troyer has a customer in Alaska with the Roush kit on his and he recently turned 300,000. It's all about the tune and how you care for the truck. This engine has the same rods and crank the Lightning did. The only difference is the Lightning had cheap forged pistons and we have Hyperutectic. They pistons will handle the same power. The exhaust valves will melt at the same 1515F. You mentioin building a motor that can handle
stress. Well the 5.4 3V is perfectly capable of handling the stress of 8-10psi or 400+rwhp and living a normal operating life span. Hell I push 475rwhp daily with 86lb wheel/tire and I push over 500rwhp at the strip and mines doing just fine. Been this way for 50,000 miles. Oil anaylsis show she is wearing better then the stock 5.4 under normal use. And to top it off I drive the hell out of it. But I take top notch care of it. And yes my engine is bone stock. Never cracked a seal. Plenty of others here and on other forums with SC'd trucks and no issues. Thousands of Lightning, Harleys, Roush Stage 3, Nightmares, and Saleens doing it to. And these are all manufactured this way. Not some grease monkey like me adding a blower.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:13 PM
You're such s greasy monkey

Old 04-25-2013, 09:33 PM

I'll wait and see what the OP says.

I interpreted his post one way, and you another. Simple as that

Quick Reply: roushcharger with stage 3 cams