Would like to install a turbo on a 5.4 - F150online Forums



Would like to install a turbo on a 5.4

Reply
 
 
  #1  
Old 06-02-2012, 01:37 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5
Would like to install a turbo on a 5.4

Hi everyone, i have a 2004 F150 with the 5.4 and i'm looking into installing a turbo and trying to gather some information from some people who know these engines and info about turbos.

i'm not trying to go too crazy at all with mods i dont want to install new pistons or rods

how much boost can these engines handle stock? like i said i'm not looking for
much just a little extra pick up.
Will i have to change the injectors still even going with minimum boost?

also does the turbo need to be installed on the exhaust manifold or could it be installed farther back on the exhaust system?

any help would be great...
also please dont send me looking for another thread that might have my answers
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 2,566
Although you said you don't want to go searching for answers that's all I'm going to say to do. There are like 20 threads just like this and in the end a turbo build is not worth it. Buy a whipple and run 10 psi and be done. Hope you have $5-$7000 you are willing to spend. This is cheaper and easier then building a custom turbo setup. There are tons of threads on superchargers again, search...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 10,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetsunamimike View Post
Hi everyone, i have a 2004 F150 with the 5.4 and i'm looking into installing a turbo and trying to gather some information from some people who know these engines and info about turbos.

i'm not trying to go too crazy at all with mods i dont want to install new pistons or rods

how much boost can these engines handle stock? like i said i'm not looking for
much just a little extra pick up.
Will i have to change the injectors still even going with minimum boost?

also does the turbo need to be installed on the exhaust manifold or could it be installed farther back on the exhaust system?

any help would be great...
also please dont send me looking for another thread that might have my answers
Welcome!

In reference to the above, may I ask why?

Yer expecting others to do that work for you? Or worse, type in the same answers they typed in already - in some cases more than once?

You DO realize what that connotes?

For you, we present this:



[j/k]

IRONS1N nailed it. You really want an S/C not a turbo ...

What about a nice, inexpensive Roushcharger with or without an I/C? Lots of good deals on these.

OR - perhaps all you really need is a custom flash programmer, a gearing change and a full LT/high-flow/x-pipe/ exhaust system...

BTW - how many miles on the truck? If yer up there, it may actually be hazardous to boost it....

Good luck!


Last edited by MGDfan; 06-02-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 257
I got a whipple for sale if interested on a supercharger.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Fort Worth,Tx
Posts: 5,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDfan View Post
Welcome!

In reference to the above, may I ask why?

Yer expecting others to do that work for you? Or worse, type in the same answers they typed in already - in some cases more than once?

You DO realize what that connotes?

For you, we present this:



[j/k]

IRONS1N nailed it. You really want an S/C not a turbo ...

What about a nice, inexpensive Roushcharger with or without an I/C? Lots of good deals on these.

OR - perhaps all you really need is a custom flash programmer, a gearing change and a full LT/high-flow/x-pipe/ exhaust system...

BTW - how many miles on the truck? If yer up there, it may actually be hazardous to boost it....

Good luck!


+1
got to love the search feature
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-03-2012, 01:08 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5
like i said before i am trying to gather information for MY OWN project, when and if i start encountering problems i will "search the forum" for something in-particular, but being i only asked the questions

1. How much boost can these engines handle stock
and
2. will i still need to change the injectors

it seams to make more sense to ask don't you think? after all that's what the forums are here for. why browse through dozens of information that may not be exactly pertaining to my particular situation or questions hence the Post "New Thread" Button that started this thread
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-03-2012, 01:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: swamps of la
Posts: 4,318
1. about 12 psi to be safe.

2. yes, 42# injectors
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-03-2012, 01:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Fort Worth,Tx
Posts: 5,389
all of the information you require has been discussed hundreds of times in other threads, we get at least 3 of these threads, per week, from new guys who neglect the search feature, so yeah it gets old of new people coming in demanding we find information for them......
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-03-2012, 01:48 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8t six View Post
1. about 12 psi to be safe.

2. yes, 42# injectors
str8t six, Thank you for the information

Faster150, sorry but posting IS only an OPTION
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-03-2012, 04:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 896
i for one vote banhammer
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NEVADA
Posts: 2,805
Can't we all just get along?
Here is an option I would consider. http://ststurbo.com/
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wilmington DE
Posts: 3,579
12 PSI is NOT always safe!
I blew the head gaskets on my first motor with 10 PSI!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: swamps of la
Posts: 4,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil6608 View Post
12 PSI is NOT always safe!
I blew the head gaskets on my first motor with 10 PSI!
thats why i run 8


people have run 15psi with a stock motor, its all in the tune!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Fort Worth,Tx
Posts: 5,389
-18psi is safe with 80lb injectors and twin 340lph pump on 1/8 fuel line. go with 4 T25 turbos, should be sufficient
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-03-2012, 01:53 PM
88racing's Avatar
Technical Article Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In the fast lane from LA to Tokyo...
Posts: 10,697
contact these guys>>> http://www.turbohorsepower.com/index.html

they might be able to get you going in the right direction....
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
MDK
Superchargers & Turbochargers
6
08-14-2016 02:26 PM
TexasHarley06
2004 - 2008 F-150
15
12-30-2015 10:06 AM
hammerman
2015 - 2016 F-150
12
07-23-2015 11:56 PM
w00kie13
Exhaust & Intake Systems
4
07-20-2015 01:31 PM
MDK
2004 - 2008 F-150
6
07-14-2015 03:56 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:44 AM.