Would like to install a turbo on a 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 04:32 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thetsunamimike
it seams to make more sense to ask don't you think? after all that's what the forums are here for.
For you? Sure, it makes more sense. Just post the same question that's been asked dozens of times (nothing really unique about YOUR 'project' BTW), and wait for folks who've already answered/researched the subject to do your work for you. Yeah, makes sense alright.

For folks like MGD who spend all kinds of time researching topics for people that won't do it themselves, it seems unfair. I can't tell you how many times I've seen him call a feller out fer not utilizing the search feature and then post links answering the question at hand. If he can do it, why can't you?

I think you're only seeing half of the reason for this forum. Sure, it's for folks to ask questions when they seek an answer or opinion on a more unique situation or subject. However, it also contains an encyclopedic amount of information that is just a few clicks away. Provided, of course, that you're not too lazy to click a mouse button.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rofl

Originally Posted by Faster150
-18psi is safe with 80lb injectors and twin 340lph pump on 1/8 fuel line. go with 4 T25 turbos, should be sufficient
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Crack me up Faster!

Old 06-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by malexander52
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Crack me up Faster!
Yeah, I got a good laugh out of that one too.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Wow when did it become a crime to ask a question? The search takes hours because of threads filled with nothing but bs much like this one. Many of them are pages long with no definitive answer. Don't want to answer the guys question then shut tfu and do something else. And while I'm ranting what is up with the non fi'd guys posting advice in these threads about the do's and don'ts of FI? There's a new question that hasn't been ask "3 times" this week. Mull that one over. rant off

Now to the op, the 5.4 3v can be pushed up to 12psi. However you can count on a shorter life span. 6-8psi is considered safe and 9-10psi is a nice step up that the factory fuel pump can handle. Now while these lower boost numbers can be called safe or safer then 12psi don't be fooled. With an improper tune or setup things can be destroyed quickly. Finding a tuner who truly knows these trucks will be key. As for the turbo, can you perform your own fab work? If not I will have to point you back to Ironsin advice and tell you go with an sc. Mgd also mentioned this route. A turbo is gonna cost big bucks if you have to pay someone to fab it up. Sts makes a kit but you won't feel the power unless you are really pushing the truck and for the same $$$ you could go sc and be much happier. A rear mount turbo is gonna have lag as will a large turbo. So speak with some pros when selecting a size. Look up luckythirteen13 on here. He located the parts and fab'd up his own kit. You will need larger injectors for any boost. The stock 24lb injectors will not do the job. The 39lb cobra injectors work very well as do the 42's mentioned earlier. If you exceed 10psi you will need larger injectors (47-60lb) and a fuel system. What is your power goal? How do you plan to use the truck?

Old 06-05-2012, 07:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have my doubts about 12 psi being safe with a turbo. It's going to make a whole lot more power than a supercharger application at that level, so longevity might be compromised. STS has the only bolt-on kit I know of, but I don't like how it's mounted beneath the truck.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by twinskrewd
Wow when did it become a crime to ask a question? The search takes hours because of threads filled with nothing but bs much like this one. Many of them are pages long with no definitive answer. Don't want to answer the guys question then shut tfu and do something else. And while I'm ranting what is up with the non fi'd guys posting advice in these threads about the do's and don'ts of FI? There's a new question that hasn't been ask "3 times" this week. Mull that one over. rant off
Amen to that.

To Windsor's point, when matching a turbo set up for an application the starting point is generally the required hp number and matching a system to it,
boost is a secondary consideration.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by malexander52
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Crack me up Faster!
lol

Old 06-05-2012, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Windsor
I have my doubts about 12 psi being safe with a turbo. It's going to make a whole lot more power than a supercharger application at that level, so longevity might be compromised. STS has the only bolt-on kit I know of, but I don't like how it's mounted beneath the truck.
Interesting thought. However it seems to me the stress on the motor would be the same. You would have more rwhp turbo'd since you wouldn't be wasting 100hp to drive a blower. The hp and stress experinced by the rods and pistons would be the same. For example at 12.45psi manifold pressure my cylinder pressure was well over 1700psi and it takes 6.1lbs of fuel per minute to keep an a/f of 11.2 = 475/532 at the wheels. A turbo creating 12.45psi of manifold pressure would provide the same cylinder pressure and need the same fuel but I would easily be 75-100rwhp over what I am now since the crank wouldn't be operating a blower.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:17 AM
Check out sts turbo

Old 06-06-2012, 06:18 AM
While that makes sense, I'm not sure it would work out that way. If you've ever been short block shopping, you see the engine rated in terms of horsepower, same with connecting rods. With higher horsepower you have greater acceleration rates applied to the piston and we know the piston and rod combination in these mod motors are the weak link. You may be right, but I can't find any information to support either argument. No doubt you could get by making more horsepower with a turbo application, but I doubt it's a boost for boost trade off.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:47 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Hi everyone, i have a 2004 F150 with the 5.4 and i'm looking into installing a turbo and trying to gather some information from some people who know these engines and info about turbos.
I love this "recession crowd"

i'm not trying to go too crazy at all with mods i dont want to install new pistons or rods
then leave it stock, straight up, leave it alone because once the bug bites, you'll end up doing it all over again (probably several times)

how much boost can these engines handle stock? like i said i'm not looking for
much just a little extra pick up.
Will i have to change the injectors still even going with minimum boost?
um yeah and I don't mean to 24#ers either

also does the turbo need to be installed on the exhaust manifold or could it be installed farther back on the exhaust system?
depends on your setup, turbo, etc

any help would be great...
do want honesty, or answers you want to hear?

also please dont send me looking for another thread that might have my answers
oh!...

Quick Reply: Would like to install a turbo on a 5.4