Anybody run Krankvents?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody run Krankvents?

I think my crankcase is getting pressurized under boost. I get a little clean, unburned-looking motor oil in my intake pipes.

These Krankvents are a nifty little device that solves the problem of crankcase pressurization on boosted motors. It's like a high end one way valve for your PCV system. I've only heard of two people with Lightnings running them saying they are an excellent product and work as advertised.

Anybody else have them?

http://www.et-performance.com/turbo.html

Old 03-12-2011, 12:22 AM
I noticed Crash! posted this back in 2004:

"Prochargers are notorious for this. Boosting the passenger side valve cover through the PCV valve and pulling a negative pressure on the driver side.

The simplest solution I have used is to buy a master cylinder check valve, and install it inbetween the PCV valve and the vacuum source. This prevents boosting the crankcase, and otherwise allows the PCV to operate normally.

Very clean install, it's cheap, and no reservoir or lines to add."

Old 03-12-2011, 05:03 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I run an oil seperator, even the n/a trucks have the oil in the intake issue, I also run PCV valves that aren't F-150 pieces

I tried the oil filler cap breathers and they weren't what I wanted

Old 03-12-2011, 11:26 AM
i have mine just dumping to atmosphere

Old 03-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Supposedly these eliminate the need for a catchcan. Plus I can just splice them into the existing PCV circuit and maintain a closed system. Don't really want to go with breathers. I don't see any downsides to this device besides the price.

Here's a thread with the guy that used them first hand in his truck: https://www.f150online.com/forums/li...rankvents.html

Old 03-13-2011, 12:21 PM

well give 'em a try and let us know how they work

I'm gonna ask on Lighting Rodder if anyone is still using 'em

Old 03-14-2011, 02:57 PM

I started the thread and it's drawing debate, yet this thread was referenced

https://www.f150online.com/forums/li...-all-time.html

Old 03-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just ordered a set. It makes sense and I have a bunch of oil sitting in my Whipples intake elbow from what I imagine is blow by caused by boost in the crankcase. This should help eliminate that or darn close to it

Old 03-14-2011, 04:12 PM

I might as well, plus they look better than the catch cans...

Old 03-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Thanks for starting the thread tarajerame.

Yeah I was just going to take the plunge on them as well. I may order them this week. I like the fact that they can increase crankcase vacuum under boost, which promotes better ring seal and diminishes blow by. They also have a valve that goes on your brake booster line. It keeps vacuum in your brake booster box, so instead of allowing that vacuum to bleed off in certain driving situations, you will always have high vacuum to your booster for stronger brakes. This looks intriguing as well.

I'm a little confused on where to put the "Large" and "small" krankvents and in what flow direction. I'm somewhat ignorant on the PCV system layout of our trucks, but this is the way that I understand to install these so far correct me if i'm wrong:

- Put the small krankvent in the hose coming out of the passenger side valve cover (hose containing PCV valve). The flow direction of the valve should be out of the valve cover, not in towards the PCV.

- Put the large krankvent in the hose coming out of the driver side valve cover. The flow direction of the valve should be away from the valve cover, towards the air intake.

Is this right?

Old 03-14-2011, 09:21 PM
I believe thats correct. When I get them this week supposedly I can confirm this. Only issues is the driverside is 5/8 hose while their piece is half inch. Ill have to work it up. My PCV hose on the driver side is very squishy from constant oil in the line

Old 03-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Crap!! I just put a catch can on mine two weeks ago. Looks good but it appears this is better.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:04 PM
In my opinion a catch can will mask the problem but this should be a 90-95% fix. I would run it with the catch can, might as well...

Old 03-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
In my opinion a catch can will mask the problem but this should be a 90-95% fix. I would run it with the catch can, might as well...
Yes it wouldn't hurt to run a can inline. From what i've heard, it is a 90-95% fix for the oil like you are saying. I guess it is normal if the valve lets a small amount "oil mist" through, but the amount is negligible compared to the amount of oil the system lets through stock.

Please let us know what adapters and what not are necessary for this mod if you could. Thanks for your input, IR0NS1N.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
Good thought! Now another $140 I can't spend on hp lol

Quick Reply: Anybody run Krankvents?