Cold Belt Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
When you start a car and their is a squeek noise, if you spray the belt with a water bottle and the noise goes away its the belt. If its a constant noise or metalic sound its bearing. I still never would put anything on a belt. A belt thats to tight or to lose will cause a noise also.
It could be too tight I guess.

As far as the tuner, it's Dyno Tuned Performance. They are now Hemi-guys, but after talking to Brent, I feel comfortable with him. Also, I told him I like the tranny as it is so it wouldn't be messed with.

I don't have a lot of options at this point and they do have a good reputation. They just tuned a 2010 or 11 F-150 w/Pro-Charger that made 500 rwhp, along with another 150, so mine won't be the first truck they have seen.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jetpilot2
It could be too tight I guess.

As far as the tuner, it's Dyno Tuned Performance. They are now Hemi-guys, but after talking to Brent, I feel comfortable with him. Also, I told him I like the tranny as it is so it wouldn't be messed with.

I don't have a lot of options at this point and they do have a good reputation. They just tuned a 2010 or 11 F-150 w/Pro-Charger that made 500 rwhp, along with another 150, so mine won't be the first truck they have seen.
Well good luck...

I've had tuners with VERY good reputation tune my truck and although they can get the big numbers, drive-ability and gas mileage severely suffer. Ultimately letting JDM tune my tuck resulted in the best numbers all around.

JDM did A LOT of tuning on your transmission, although you might think it feels stock. That's the beauty of the JDM/Troyer tune that unless the tuners are very familiar with the 04+ trucks they will never get right.

Last edited by FATHERFORD; 05-12-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
Well good luck...

I've had tuners with VERY good reputation tune my truck and although they can get the big numbers, drive-ability and gas mileage severely suffer. Ultimately letting JDM tune my tuck resulted in the best numbers all around.

JDM did A LOT of tuning on your transmission, although you might think it feels stock. That's the beauty of the JDM/Troyer tune that unless the tuners are very familiar with the 04 trucks they will never get right.
I hear you, but I can't accommodate JDM's schedule, but I will EVENTUALLY get to JDM. The truck will be sitting in the garage after Sunday and not driven. When I know my schedule three months out, I'll make an appointment.

He wasn't supposed to touch the tranny tune, so all I can do is assume he didn't. He said he added a couple degrees of timing and some fuel at the top end.

I posted the sheets on the sticky and will post them in the "I pulled the trigger" thread.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Im using my VMP tune right now as I've been on troyers for a few months. I can vouch for either I really like the part throttle of VMP as the Troyer is very touchy and doesnt seem to downshift when I want it to. I need to get my truck on a dyno again and run both tunes to see who makes more power.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
Im using my VMP tune right now as I've been on troyers for a few months. I can vouch for either I really like the part throttle of VMP as the Troyer is very touchy and doesnt seem to downshift when I want it to. I need to get my truck on a dyno again and run both tunes to see who makes more power.
Were they both "mail-order" or actual dyno tunes?

Like I said, I will get up to JDM "one day". I'll be in Yuma on Sunday and be there through June. It's not too far away, maybe I'll come up one Sat.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:34 PM

Like I said, I will get up to JDM "one day". I'll be in Yuma on Sunday and be there through June. It's not too far away, maybe I'll come up one Sat.
Yuma huh? I was there a couple times myself for WTIs at the Marine base, was way too hot for me.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by batn68
Yuma huh? I was there a couple times myself for WTIs at the Marine base, was way too hot for me.
Yuma....I was there in '06 for a month flying UH-60s for the CBP in support of Operation Jump Start. Good times

Old 05-12-2011, 09:12 PM

Both were mail order tunes, I data logged on the free way for Justin @ VMP and went to a dyno and data logged for Troyer. They both sent me a tune with about 10-20% more fuel. Justins 2nd tune is now dead on with my wideband and troyers was dead on with my wideband from the start. The dynos wideband said I was lean so troyer corrected for it, however my truck is way overly rich now and throws rich codes. I waited forever for my troyer tune and actually contacted Justin while waiting for my troyer tune and got it long before the troyer tune. WOT feels good on both and like I said the Troyer tune is really odd at part throttle but its how he sets up the throttle body. Justins tune doesnt have that "free" feeling with the gas pedal that the troyer tune does but it has perfect driveability.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Hmm, I just drove the truck and took notes of where and when it upshifted and downshifted as well as throttle position and then noted what I wanted it to do. Emailed it to Mike and he made the changes. Even then when I realized some of the things I wanted it to do were not as good an idea as I thought he made more changes. He has always told me "do not settle, you should never feel you have to accept or live with anything, just let me know what you want and I'll make the changes". Thus far he has done so and the truck does exactly what I want. With the last changes he threw in something extra and blew me away. Regardless of vehicle speed anything past 80% throttle in first lights up the rear tires and burns them up into second. I love it. Anything more than 33-35% throttle from a stand still lights em up. Mike has been great to deal with and worked with me through the throttle sensitivity as well. But it's like he told me not everyone wants a hot throttle so he doesn't start them out that way. I told him I wanted the throttle as hot as possible and he made it happen.

On another note I wouldn't waste anytime comparing tunes on a dyno. Dyno #'s are useless and good for one thing and thats talk. The strip is where these battles should be fought imo.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:17 AM
Originally Posted by twinskrewd
But it's like he told me not everyone wants a hot throttle so he doesn't start them out that way. I told him I wanted the throttle as hot as possible and he made it happen.
werd....

Some people just don't like that hot throttle. Sounds like mine is tuned like yours...

Old 05-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Hmm, I just drove the truck and took notes of where and when it upshifted and downshifted as well as throttle position and then noted what I wanted it to do. Emailed it to Mike and he made the changes. Even then when I realized some of the things I wanted it to do were not as good an idea as I thought he made more changes. He has always told me "do not settle, you should never feel you have to accept or live with anything, just let me know what you want and I'll make the changes". Thus far he has done so and the truck does exactly what I want. With the last changes he threw in something extra and blew me away. Regardless of vehicle speed anything past 80% throttle in first lights up the rear tires and burns them up into second. I love it. Anything more than 33-35% throttle from a stand still lights em up. Mike has been great to deal with and worked with me through the throttle sensitivity as well. But it's like he told me not everyone wants a hot throttle so he doesn't start them out that way. I told him I wanted the throttle as hot as possible and he made it happen.

On another note I wouldn't waste anytime comparing tunes on a dyno. Dyno #'s are useless and good for one thing and thats talk. The strip is where these battles should be fought imo.
I really like Mike and his tune is solid. However, unlike you I cannot travel to see him so I wait about a month or two between tune updates. Within that time I email Anita like 2 times and she is "reminding him" to call me. Once he calls its all gravy. All I'm saying is both him and VMP make a real good tune, they just go different ways about it. I like the "hot pedal" feel of the Troyer tune over VMPs I really do. It just odd how say I give the pedal 30% throttle it will pull real good then die off, then pull again then die a little. You can feel the truck go through the different maps and it causes a jerky ride. Other times I give it gas and the truck bogs. It randomly also get a one time backfire as crowed the loud pedal. Just as I push the gas I hear a pop then it goes. VMP it doesnt do that. Ive also had zero issues with the VMP. If I could combine them both it would be the perfect tune. I've told Mike about everything (other then the VMP tune) and he says that the power surges are "normal" and went into a great deal to explain why its normal. He is slightly worried about the pop but we haven't talked about it in great detail. I dunno there seems to be alot of things in my tune that I wish were different, and everytime I talk to Mike he explains to me that they are like that for a really long reason and he doesn't want to change them.

I realize dyno and quartermile isnt really the best way to judge a tune as they are both doing different things and there are way to many variables. However if were to run both on a dyno and they made the same power, and then run them both at the track and run the same numbers I would run VMP over troyer just for the fact that it shifts when I want and I wouldnt have people who drive my truck ask me why it power surges or falls on its face at a random RPM with random Pedal postion

Old 05-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Mike is actually 5hrs from me. I've only been there once and that was last summer to get a fuel system and tune. Since then we have played with the tunes via email based on my demands. Not sure about the surges you are feeling. Mine pulls like a bitch and its constant. I especially love mid throttle when she's only making about 3-5psi. With that and the torque multiplication of this circle d converter she keeps me against the seat. One thing I have learned is that no tune is so perfect you just drive away from the dyno and are 100% happy the first time. If so then your not very in touch with vehicle. It takes the engineer's for car companies months to get the tunes dialed in. It's no different here. Personally I love the quest for perfection and the trial and error. I eat and breath this stuff. And then just when you get it right you add more power or different parts and the fun begins again

Old 05-13-2011, 01:48 PM
The surges are a BIG complaint about Troyers tune on the Saleen forum. Troyer claims it's normal and nothing can be done about it. The Saleen guys got fed up and said forget it. Went to other tuners(mainly JDM) and the problem went away. If troyer told me that is "normal" I would have told him to get bent...

Twin, how you describe your truck runs is how mine is. Part/half throttle running about 5psi the damn truck will still plant you in your seat. It's just plain absolute blast to drive. I wish my stall was bigger like yours(mine is around 3000), but I'm waiting for my new engine build before I re-stall.

Last edited by FATHERFORD; 05-13-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
werd....

Some people just don't like that hot throttle. Sounds like mine is tuned like yours...
I love that feeling of raw power. It's like driving a viper verses a vette. Vipers way more fun cause there's no onboard computer crap keeping the car under control. At least that's the way it was till recently. Now the government has ruined that for the viper crowd.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:57 PM
I love that feeling of raw power. It's like driving a viper verses a vette. Vipers way more fun cause there's no onboard computer crap keeping the car under control. At least that's the way it was till recently. Now the government has ruined that for the viper crowd.
Yeah it makes us viper owners real hot

Hell we raised hell when they added GPS and cup holders to a viper, lmao.

Quick Reply: Cold Belt Noise