Want to build a custom Sub Box but need a little schooling about ports...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to build a custom Sub Box but need a little schooling about ports...

Hello all!

I'm looking to build a ported box that will fit under the back seat of my 2007 Ford F-150 Super cab.

I have a JL Audio ported Stealthbox with a 10" down firing sub and it sounds really good!

I want to build a similar box, except I want to build it to fit a 12 inch shallow mount JL Audio 12TW3 that looks like this...

The specs for a ported box for this driver is pretty small and that's what I need because of the limited room I have under my back seat. Here are the specs for the box...

12TW3 Ported OEM Specs:

Driver mounting depth: 3.5 in
Volume: 0.95 cu ft
Port Size: 12.5 sq in
Port Length: 31.25 in

I want to build the box so that it fits similar to my existing box.

Here is what my existing box looks like now...

Name:  DSC01873.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  40.8 KB

Because the box will be bigger, I'm probably going to wind up mounting the amps behind the seat.

So, with those box specs above, do you guys think that a box made with 3/4" MDF is doable?

I realize that the box will have to be a little wider and that may make it to where I won't be able to raise my back seat.

Also, with those specs, can't I calculate that and have a round port similar to my existing box, instead of a rectangular port, or should I just go with a plain Jane slotted port?

These are just a couple questions i had floating around the last couple days. I was going to hopefully find someone locally that can help me build this thing, I don't know where to even start with this project!

Thanks for ANY input.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:18 PM
I'm by no means an expert on building these things, but there are a lot of useful tools online to help you at least gather a blueprint.

One thing I'm curious about though is using a ported enclosure. I'm looking at the TW3 10s, and the manual specifically states to NOT use a ported enclosure. Is that different for the 12?

Old 02-06-2017, 10:52 AM
So I have been doing more and more research on this and JL revised the product manual. Have you seen this? It provides the actual specs for the enclosure.

http://mediacdn.jlaudio.com/media/mf...pdf?1431534294

Old 02-11-2017, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Valow
So I have been doing more and more research on this and JL revised the product manual. Have you seen this? It provides the actual specs for the enclosure.

http://mediacdn.jlaudio.com/media/mf...pdf?1431534294

yes, I have the spec sheet.

I had a local company build me a box out of fiberglass but it sounded like pure garbage!

They swear that they made it perfectly to specs but it just sounds like pure crap!

Plus, i told them i wanted it to fit under the seat like the old box.. stealth and out of sight.

They made the box where it fits under the back seat, but it sticks out touching the back of my seat!

Needless to say, I told them I can't pay for that.

I hate that they did all that work for 2 days but it's not what I ordered.

Am I wrong?

Old 02-11-2017, 11:49 PM
Unlikely they made it "perfectly to spec" since working with volume within fiberglass enclosure isn't an exact science.

Why do you want a 12"?

Have you considered a solution from supercrewsound.com? They sell dual 10's and dual 12's that will fit under the seat... and one of the options includes a seat lift to ensure it will fit.