2012 screw Sony sub replace with MTX Thunderform help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 12:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 screw Sony sub replace with MTX Thunderform help.

Hello all, I'm new so if I posted improperly my bad. Though after digging around for a while I think I'm in the right spot. Couldn't find a thread close enough to really help me.

I have a 2012 Lariat SCREW with the Sony system. I am a boat mechanic and pretty familiar with everything from radars to diesels the size of big rigs, but car audio is new to me, I picked a little project that didn't seem to overwhelming for someone who's familiar with tight spaces and wiring, and would be able to rip everything out to bring it back to stock if I sell if necessary.

I bought 4 Kicker KSC68 6x8's to replace the Sony's in the doors through Stage3, and a MTX Loaded Amplified Thunderform to replace the sub from Crutchfield. I was really caught between the Kicker VSS and the MTX and not sure i went that way but that's how its going to be until I blow more money on my truck. I was looking for an upgrade, being a mechanic I'm just slightly hard of hearing but not enough to be fed up with the Sony.

I'm not worried about the door speakers there's plenty on here and YouTube with step by step instructions. I couldn't find anyone who has done it and posted. I should be getting them soon but if anyone has done it any install tips or recommendations are appreciated.

On a side note I found some old rolls of sound/temp insulation my pop used to have in his shop that looks like it would be plenty for the doors, i figured since they would be apart it would be worth throwing in but its new in the packs but an old style that requires spray on adhesive (looks like its more for firewalls I don't know if that matters, aluminum foil looking on one side and carpet padding on the other). Was wondering if anyone has added something like that during an install as opposed to Dynamat.

All comments and info are greatly appreciated. I'll follow up with install write-ups and pics if anyone's interested. Thanks.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interested to see what you come up with.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:03 PM
Ok so update, half way through install (pictures coming soon) tapping into rear driver side speaker for signal, ran power down passenger side through grommet, grounding at one of the sony subs mounting bolts, and in the process of installing signal wire. Honestly looking for the easiest way to do it with out jimmy rigging it like an ******* and or ruining the sub.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:17 AM
New plan of attack after the 3rd attempt into tapping into speakers and it started to rain ive decided to ditch the idea of tapping solely into the rear driver side speaker, goin to run both down driver side and tapping into a left and right front speakers. Honestly not sure why, but it seems like the prudent thing to to. Also still trying to figure out easiest spot to tie into for signal. Once again any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:30 PM
Ok so here's the breakdown for anyone looking to upgrade to the mtx box and is as green as I am when it comes to car audio.

2012 F150 Lariat with Sony/nav

1. Remove Sony sub (mine didn't have an amp on it, amp is in head unit.)
2. Ran power (red) behind back seats, down driver side wire runs, used grommet in firewall to come through, tied into battery. The floor panels pop off by slightly pulling up enough to get hand under then a brisk pull upward.
3. Ran rca to splice wires to back door speaker wires in wire runs on floor under door sills. (as suggested by mtx support) You can use the old sub wires though you might experience "clipping" due to those wires being amplified already, mtx has a nice picture describing clipping on their website if you understand Fq response.
4. Ran neutral to sony sub mount bolts.

No need to run signal with mtx amp because it has some auto turn on feature when it receives a signal from the rca's it turns on by itself.

Fairly simple install. I got the wire diagrams from another thread on here. If anyone has any SIMPLE questions on this install please feel free to comment.

Last edited by SemperParatus; 05-05-2016 at 12:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-25-2016, 01:03 AM
How does it sound? I upgraded to the oem kicker sub and I'm not happy with it.. but I really don't want to do a full build either.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by SemperParatus
Ok so here's the breakdown for anyone looking to upgrade to the mtx box and is as green as I am when it comes to car audio.

2012 F150 Lariat with Sony/nav

1. Remove Sony sub (mine didn't have an amp on it, amp is in head unit.)
2. Ran power (red) behind back seats, down driver side wire runs, used grommet in firewall to come through, tied into battery. The floor panels pop off by slightly pulling up enough to get hand under then a brisk pull upward.
3. Ran rca to splice wires to back door speaker wires in wire runs on floor under door sills. (as suggested by mtx support) You can use the old sub wires though you might experience "clipping" due to those wires being amplified already, mtx has a nice picture describing clipping on their website if you understand Fq response.
4. Ran neutral to sony sub mount bolts.

No need to run signal with mtx amp because it has some auto turn on feature when it receives a signal from the rca's it turns on by itself.

Fairly simple install. I got the wire diagrams from another thread on here. If anyone has any SIMPLE questions on this install please feel free to comment.
Did you happen to take pictures of what wires you spliced into for signal? Did you have to run anything to the Sony head unit at all? I want to do the exact same thing you did but I have no experience in hooking a subwoofer to a factory head unit.

Quick Reply: 2012 screw Sony sub replace with MTX Thunderform help.