2013 Screw w/Sony : Sound System Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Screw w/Sony : Sound System Upgrade

Well it was a successful but fairly long install. Thanks to many of your posts and information in this forum, I went ahead and did my DIY install of Kenwood eXcelon equipment into my truck.

What I installed:

XR-1800P : 7" components in the front
XR-1800 : 7" Coaxials in rear
XR-W10F : Oversized 10" Sub
XR900-5 : 5 channel amp
AudioControl LC7i
Streetwires wiring kit

Started off feeding the amp through the big grommet on the passenger side by snipping the small nipple and using WD-40 as lube to slide it through and down with a piece of 12/2 electrical wire. This was the easiest part of my install. Ran it though the passenger side door step channel to the rear passenger seat where I mounted the amp and crossovers.
I also ran the 12v power wire for the LC7i along with the main power wire in the same channel. Sorry, in the beginning I forgot to take pics.
After that I then ran all the wiring for the LC7i from the middle console, up behind the steering wheel and down the driver side door step channel. I electrical taped all of these wires together so that it wouldn't seem so crowded in there (which it was).
I ran all new wires to the front and rear speakers in the same channel.
The passenger side speakers I ran the wiring up and over the doors just so I wouldn't get any interference from the main power wire. I gotta say too, it was pretty nice having the rubber boots in the doors. It definitely made life easier.

Now onto the door speakers. Seeing that the door speakers didn't fit in the factory holes, I had to construct spacers. I used 3/4 " mdf for these. It didn't push the speakers too tight against the door plastic which was a good thing, however I did need to hack away at the door plastic a little bit to get the 7" diameter clearance. (Sorry again I didn't take a pic of the hack job). Here is the final product of the rear doors.

I also painted the speaker grilles with a krylon black satin finish which I think turned out nicely. I didn't like the silver.

After that I made the rear wall racks and sub box.

I used 1/2" treated plywood for my racks.

I didn't use any sound deadening this time around. Just gonna see how it plays out and sounds first for now.

I trimmed some of the padding on the back of the rear wall carpet just so it wouldn't be so bulky. I wanted to screw the amp and LC7i to the boards over the carpet but I found that I could really only do that with the LC7i.

I connected the wires from the front tweeters, front mids and sub to channel 1, 2 and 3 respectively. I only did this because I read on other forums other people did it this way. I also read some people were doing rear doors, front tweets and mids to get the full range. But idk which is best. This was the decision I went with and it sounds pretty good so far.

Installing the tweeters, I had to hack the hole a little bit to get them to fit but they turned out pretty nice.

The console wasn't too bad of a job, I basically followed a video I found on YouTube. Its 6 bolts, two under the console cover by the shifter, two on either side of the front and back of the console. 8mm socket. What confused me was how to get the shift linkage off. I figured out that you can get a screw driver in to pry off the circle part from the shifter, then release the black connecter from the console. There's a little tab on the right side of that connecter to release it.

After I got the console out, I figured out which wires to snip and then soldered n shrink tubed them all. Here is the diagram I used.

This is after I was finished splicing the wires from the Sony amp.

Pretty much the last thing to do was connect and screw on the amp and test it.

Oh and I installed the bass **** for the LC7i next to my dimmer switch.

I probably should have put more pictures up but I just didn't think of it most of the time. The install consumed me. Lol. But if you need any help or have questions let me know, I'll try to help in any way I can.

I'm pretty pleased with what I did and it sounds great!

Old 06-25-2015, 06:44 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Did you retain the factory head unit?

Old 06-25-2015, 07:12 PM
Yes I did.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
He probably did, since the sony setup uses the can-bus between the head unit and the sony amp, the only way you can change the headunit is rip out everything and start from scratch.

Rav3nwolf, in my build thread there is a link to all the wiring diagrams for a 13 150 with the sony amp. I put my bass **** in the little cubby on the console in front of the shifter on the little 1" x 2" shelf in the corner.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sp...-upgrades.html

Old 06-25-2015, 07:37 PM
Yeah I saw that. I debated where to put it for the longest time, but ended up putting it by the dimmer. If I didn't have the trailer brake control I woulda put it there.

Quick Reply: 2013 Screw w/Sony : Sound System Upgrade