2013 sony system upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 09:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by PistolWhip
Have you had any issues with any of the processors? I read on the other forum, a long nightmareish ordeal with the Sony system and the AudioControl stuff not getting along well and ultimately frying a bunch of components.
First I've heard of this. I read all the reviews I could find on AudioControl stuff and it was pretty much hit or miss when you used the G.T.O. feature (signal sensing input) whether or not it would work. But if you set it up with a real 12v amp turn on signal, they are pretty much flawless.

So I planned on making some kind of relay setup to create an amp turn on signal until I found a wiring diagram for the sony amp setup and lo and behold there is a real 12v turn on signal going to the amp. So I tapped into that signal to trigger the audiocontrol processors and both amps. My system has been installed and running for over a year and its flawless. I've had absolutely no problems at all.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:22 PM

If I had to do it all over again, I would just get the kicker VSS (vehicle specific system) setup and some better speakers and call it a day. Kicker makes 3 different models of the VSS for 2009-14 150's, and this one works with sony and My Ford Touch system. Best part, it's plug n play, no cutting and splicing wires.

http://www.kicker.com/PF150C13

It's pricey, but in the end it's cheaper than what I did.

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 05-21-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
If I had to do it all over again, I would just get the kicker VSS (vehicle specific system) setup and some better speakers and call it a day. Kicker makes 3 different models of the VSS for 2009-14 150's, and this one works with sony and My Ford Touch system. Best part, it's plug n play, no cutting and splicing wires.

After reading all you went through and trying to find just a bit of an upgrade over the stock system, I'm going to go for this

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/09-14-F150-SU..._qi=RTM2067267

It seems to pretty much be the same as the Kicker direct system, but much, much cheaper. I think I can get a bit more by just upgrading the speakers and leave the Sony amp.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Blown F-150
After reading all you went through and trying to find just a bit of an upgrade over the stock system, I'm going to go for this...

It seems to pretty much be the same as the Kicker direct system, but much, much cheaper. I think I can get a bit more by just upgrading the speakers and leave the Sony amp.
Your mileage may vary, here. The included Sony amp is equalized and setup specifically for the speakers in the Sony system in the truck. This may have/introduce some "interesting" effect/artifacts when you replace the speakers w/aftermarket ones.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:37 PM

Just to clarify, if you did all over again you would upgrade all the speakers and the Kicker sub, or just do the sub?

Old 07-11-2015, 11:39 AM

Just the speakers, not the sub. A new sub comes with the kit.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by TexZen
Your mileage may vary, here. The included Sony amp is equalized and setup specifically for the speakers in the Sony system in the truck. This may have/introduce some "interesting" effect/artifacts when you replace the speakers w/aftermarket ones.

Agreed that every truck seems to be different, but I just listened to a buddies truck with the Kicker Sub upgrade and he went with kicker components for the front doors and kicker coaxial speakers in the rear doors as well. Other than the power and signal wires you have to run for the sub, he just plugged in the speakers, modded the pillars to work with the kicker tweeters and left it at that. He did not use the Kicker crossovers as he said it was too "bright" sounding. Obviously the speakers/ tweeters are running off the Sony amp, but the sound is way better throughout the volume range than mine. The Kicker sub hits way harder than the stock Sony sub. You can hardly tell there is even a sub in my truck with the Sony. I am pretty sure I read somewhere that the Sony sub is roughly 80 watts vs. 200 watts of the Kicker.

I ordered up the sub and just waiting on a few more pennies to order up some speakers. I think I'll just leave it at that for now. Maybe I'll run a processor and proper amp to the speakers sometime in the future, but from what I heard in my buddies truck, I may be fine as is.

I had a 3000w+ system in a couple of my older vehicles(2 batteries, massive capaciters, 0 guage wire,etc.), I just don't see the need for that anymore. I would rather spend the coin on other upgrades for the truck...

Old 07-20-2015, 08:53 AM
I can dig it.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:55 PM
I know this is an older thread, but I have a question.

I have a 2014 FX2 with sony nav. I had a local shop install the AC LC7I, JL-5/700 amp, JL C3 570 components in the front, Some Alpine SPR 68 in the rear and a custom sub box I built to fit the JL TW3 10" sub. Very happy with everything except one thing. How do you adjust the ringer for incoming calls, if your not quick to turn the volume down on incoming calls it can be brutal.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:14 PM

I don't worry about it, I Don't have a phone connected to the system. After playing with sync on previous vehicles, I found it's quicker and easier to just do everything manually. It takes roughly 30 seconds and several voice commands just to adjust the temp or you can reach down and turn the **** manually in about a second. Sync is just a worthless gimmick that helps ford sell cars, but in reality it's just a pain in the butt.

And before you ask, I don't answer the phone when I'm driving. It goes in my pocket and stays there until I get where I'm going. My life and others on the road are more important than a damn phone call.

Old 10-26-2019, 12:55 AM

Old thread, but I'm looking at a used '13 Platinum with the Sony system.

I checked your link and it states, "Not compatible with Sony or base audio systems."

Quick Reply: 2013 sony system upgrades