redoing my system need opinions.. mtx, jl, or foxbox?

Old 08-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
redoing my system need opinions.. mtx, jl, or foxbox?

currently I have 2 alpine type s' in a sealed box under my rear seat on my 05 supercrew, I noticed that both subs are shot, due to the box moving and allowing the subs to bounce off of the floor... I do like the sound of my system with 2 10s up until they blew, and my box is broken in 1 corner, but now im at a cross roads, I don't want some crappy wooden box that doesn't fit properly so ive been looking at the mtx thunderform and the jl stealthbox. my only problem with both of these units is that I don't think that its gonna sound as good as what I had... anyone have any input on these units? I don't really wanna go with the foxbox because it looks about the same as what I have now, garbage...

Old 08-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Go with some sundown sd-10's and build a new box.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Have you looked into a behind the back seat option? Everybody and their grandma told me it couldn't be done.... Looks like they were wrong.
2 x 12 Audiobahn Alum12Q's with a mount depth of 5 5/8 fit just fine. You could could work some shallow mounts very easily back there.
Then they are out of the way and work great there too.

Last edited by 01 gt f150; 08-25-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:01 AM
I just went with the Stealthbox in my screw. To be honest there's a lot of factors going into this choice. I'm a jl faithful. My last system was an 8" W1 in a wedge under the bench seat of my 97 scab. I thought it was sufficient, but not showy, which I liked. When I got the stealthbox I kept the amp from my last setup (arc audio foose fd2100 pushing 190 watts -- the low end of the stealthbox range). I pulled out of the shop and that bad boy dang near rattled my car apart how they had it tuned. Amp quality, the music you listen to, how much junk you carry in your back seat, it all plays a role. My amp eliminated the jack spot, but oh well -- I tossed it in the bed under my tonneau. Currently I'm running the stock HU with Rockford p1683 speakers in all 4 doors, and that stealthbox and arc amp. Couldn't be happier. The gain on the amp is almost all the way down and that thing is still loud enough to turn heads down the block. The other question is are you ready to spend the $$ on a JL? To me, it was worth every penny...

Old 11-22-2014, 09:54 AM
SFM
I have been using the FoxBox with 2 Sundown e10's. Very pleased with the bass using 1100w Alpine amp.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:32 AM
EDIT: Sorry, bad reading. I didn't see that you had an '05. My enclosure is to fit in my '13.

I just finished designing a vented enclosure for a Subdown SD-2 10" that fits under the seat.
I have all the wood cut, but I'm waiting for the sub to get here before putting everything together. I drafted everything in autocad according to the specs on Sundown's site, but I want to have the actual sub here for testing before I glue everything together.
It's not the simplest box ever, but I think it will fit well. It's a 1.11cu.ft. Box with ~2.5" of clearance from baffle to floor. This was one of my big concerns with prefab boxes; it looks like most of them are only 1" or so off the floor, and with any sub with a nice big surround and good Xmax, that's going to be bouncing off the floor, or at least it'll be so close that the air won't be able to move freely in front of the sub.
I'd be happy to share the design I have if anyone is interested. That said, I'm sure there's no shortage of box designs that have already popped up here, so it's not like I'm doing anything revolutionary.

Last edited by Abrasive; 12-10-2014 at 12:05 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: redoing my system need opinions.. mtx, jl, or foxbox?