Kicker Soundgate System

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to say thanks for the input I got here that pointed me to this system. Here's my experience and more details in the hope this helps someone else.

I just installed the version of this Kicker Soundgate system that is sold by Ford dealers. You can look up the part number for your truck at Ford's accessory site. Then do a search by number and it will bring up people selling them online.

Unlike the Kicker system, which is required to be sold at MSRP of $1249, these are available online at various dealers for discounted prices, AND they include 4 Kicker 6x8 2 way door speakers as well. I happen to already have replaced my door speakers with those exact models two years ago, coincidentally, so I will be selling mine for maybe $150 for the set, which offsets the price some. I paid about $950 with shipping from Levittown Ford. It arrived in about 5 days.

I checked with Kicker to be sure, and it is the system made by them. They nicely even provided instructions after a quick email request. The kit includes DSP to fix the crummy sound of the oem unit, a up-powered amp for your doors, and a 200w amp and subwoofer in its own enclosure. (plus the door speakers). I had to print the installation instructions off the web, the box does NOT come with them, and unfortunately Kicker sent me the ones for 2013+ models, and I have a 2012.

There are different versions depending on your cab size and your original stereo type. I had synch and no upgraded stereo.

Mine was installed in my FX4 supercab today in about 6 hours. But I was taking it slow and some of that time was tool hunting. It was (surprisingly) very straightforward and nothing was too difficult, and this is my first time ever taking dash panels apart or running power to the battery box. All I'd done in the past was door speakers. The harness is easy to connect and the amplifier/dsp mounts out of sight over by the parking brake quite neatly. The Sub mounted to holes already in the frame of the rear driver side seat(using some clip on nut adapters) after you remove the jack and its holder. You can relocate the holder to the passenger side on the supercab using a template and drilling holes and using a rivet nut tool. But since it fits nicely in there w/o problem or rattles I just left the mount for later, if ever.

Installation does vary slightly depending on your cab size and year.

Overall, I am very happy with the sound. It transforms the vehicle. I am not an audiophile and it might not be that great, but my wife liked it too and it really cranks out sound. I would recommend it at the discounted price. Hooking up a dsp and amp seperately, then adding a powered sub in back can mean a lot of little hiccups in terms of parts and harnesses. This just plugs inline to your current system's harness. You run two power lines to the battery through the grommet near the steering with an easy slice from a boxcutter.

It DID cut out tonight for about 15 seconds suddenly, then resumed. No idea what caused that. It could have been resetting, I dunno. Another hour of play with no problems so far. Even at loud volumes.

contrary to some reports I found turning down the bass level on your radio to more than suppress any boominess. In fact, I leave it at 0 or -1 and it does fine. The Kicker 6x8 speakers with more power now have more pop and on some songs you really get the directional effect in the songs.

I doubt any off-the-shelf components I could buy for that price would do better. Plus it'd involve crimping/soldering wires which is tedious, and installation complexity I was not up to. The step by step directions here combined with the plug in play custom design and harness make it relatively easy compared to building your own system from the ground up.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by ibcop
So this is for vehicles without the Sony Nav system? Base radio?
Base radios or the "base" radio that comes on uplevel models like my FX4. (2012 and before and 2013+ are separate part numbers) Mine has synch but no sub or separate amp. (known as "the sony system")
There are separate models of these kits for different cab sizes, original radio type, and model year. The Ford comprehensive kits include 4 door speakers but the Kicker ones do not.

I am not sure but I think if you have the "sony" system with a sub already you just upgrade the sub only, you can't use the more complete system. I think this is because it uses a separate amp that is not compatible with the harness they provide.

The video above is very useful. Watch it a couple of times and it will help. But be aware that sub mounting locations and power wire routing may be different depending on your kit. Kicker may have changed the kits over time, as well.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:36 AM
I appreciate all the great feedback here. I purchased the system before I got a chance to read it all. Hopefully, I can add a bit more clarity for those interested:

VEHICLE: 2014 XLT Supercab with 4.2" radio (also called MyFord Radio, NOT base audio according to some product descriptions)

PURCHASING: Kicker makes a Powerstage Upgrade (PF150S13) and Ford/Kicker collaboration produces a Ford part# (DL3Z-18808-B). After personally inquiring about the differences, I'm fairly certain that the Ford OEM "Complete Kit" actually includes 4 Kicker door speakers while the Kicker Powerstage upgrade may not. Advertisement for both products also confirms this claim. Similarly, there is a Kicker Substage kit and a different FORD part # (didn't buy these though so I can't verify the contents). I bought the Ford Complete Kit.

INSTALLATION: Forums claimed 5-6 hours for install and that was exactly right. Messing with passenger airbag is pretty annoying for just 1 panel screw. Jack relocation seemed unnecessary had the enclosure been designed to fit on the rear-passenger-side like in the crewcab model, but maybe Ford/Kicker can comment on that. Everything connects to factory wiring. A-pillar tweeters are independent and still functional. No additional tweaking or manual controls for gains, crossovers, etc. NOTE: OEM product does NOT come with rivet tool for jack relocation. Instructions are available online and are a little unorganized/assumptive (seems like a copy/paste job).

IMPRESSIONS: Obviously, compared to my previous 700 watt alpine/Infinity/12" sub system, this is an SPL downgrade in a larger cab (coming from a 2008 XL reg cab). Sound quality and clarity is a significant improvement from factory and a slight upgrade from the previous system probably due to an elevated sound stage with factory tweeters. It maintains the look/install of a factory system while giving you the noticeable upgrade over base audio you hoped for. However, you won't get a decent thump unless the volume is cranked up (I keep the bass level at max). Enthusiasts beware as better value may still be found in aftermarket parts, albeit potentially with more effort/time invested. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase and recommend it to those looking for a quick and easy audio upgrade solution.

Additionally, at the time of this post, you can still find the Ford Complete kit DL3Z-18808-B for about $600 on Amazon instead of the usual $900+. That was the cheapest I could find it and triggered the purchase for me. I got mine from a third party seller that happened to be an authorized Ford dealer.

Last edited by RemiZero; 11-17-2014 at 05:40 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by timefortimer
I spoke to Kicker and they said I can add a pot in between the sub and amp circuit (and gave me the specifications for the pot.) So, the pot is a $5 part from your local Fry's and then you have solder it in. I suggested to Kicker that they add the $5 part to their future generations of the product.
Do you have a picture of what this (potentiometer) looks like when installed? Keeping everything clean and OEM looking is very important to me.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Kicker Soundgate System