How to make your factory Sony Sub sound better

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking How to make your factory Sony Sub sound better

I posted this in another forum and people are having great results so, I thought Id add it here too. I had several requests for instructions so, Ive made it as clear as I know how.

Without adding an aftermarket amp, there is little hope for decent bass out of the stock sony or maybe the output of the sony system is sufficient for you. The sony sounds "ok" at mid volume on tracks with higher bass frequencies but sounds horrible on the lower frequencies which made me think it either has a subsonic filter or the enclosure may be a little too small or both. To make the sub act as if it were in a larger enclosure, I stuffed the plastic box with PolyFill and gave it a try. For the first time, I actually felt the bass from this sub on a few tracks that I would normally have to skip because the sub bottomed out so bad. Im not saying that your mirrors are gonna shake or anything remotely close, Im just saying that for about $5 for a bag of polyfill, you will hear frequencies from this sub that previously were unavailable... If you dont know what polyfill is, its the cotton like material that is used to fill standard pillows, recliner arms, etc. You can buy it at walmart or any craft store. Give it a try and post your results!

Here are the steps:

1A. Listen to a couple of your favorite songs and try to notice the sound of the sub for later comparison.

1B. There are 4- 8mm bolts that you'll need to remove to take the sub enclosure out. The bolt on top of the box itself is bolted into the back of the sub magnet. Two of the bolts are under the bolt covers in front of the box. These covers are easily removed with just your hands but you can use a flathead to help pop them off in needed.

2. After you get the 4 bolts out, flip the box over and disconnect the plug coming from the carpet going into the factory amp. The edges of the amp are very sharp so be careful not to cut yourself or even worse, scratch your truck!

3. By now you've seen all the #2 phillips screws on the front of the sub. Unscrew all of these and use a flat head screwdriver to pry the sub out if necessary.

4. You will see 4 wires plugged into the sub. You can leave them plugged in if you want but it makes it a lot easier to unplug the sub and get it out of the way. Dont be scared to unplug it because the wires will only reach and plug in where they are supposed to. BEFORE trying to just pull the terminals off, look closely, there are tabs in the center of each terminal that need to be pushed outward to unlock them while you pull. BEND/PUSH these tabs back into place when reinstalling or the terminals will be loose!

5. Now you can should see the inside of your empty sub enclosure and this is where the polyfill material will be added. Take handfulls of the material and pack it into the corners of the enclosure. Once you have the corners filled in with the polyfill, keep adding more until you get to where the sub sits. Leave this space fairly open, you can put some behind the sub as long as its not small pieces but you dont want the enclosure completely crammed full of polyfill. I believe the formula is 1lb of polyfill per 1cu. foot of enclosure but its hard to gauge unless you can buy it in 1lb bags

6. You can now reinstall the sub. Note that there is an arrow on the top of the sub surround and one on the enclosure, these arrows need to allign for proper fitment. If you removed the wires from the sub, the short wires will obviously go to the side that they reach, the other set will go to the farthest side. not that it would make a difference anyway...

7. Take the box back to your truck and plug in the wire harness you unplugged from the amp. Set the box in its place and start the bolts into there holes but dont tighten yet.

8. Listen to the same songs that you did before you started this project keeping the same settings and at the same volume level. If it sounds better to you, snug down those bolts and enjoy, if it doesnt sound better, try pulling some of the polyfill out because you may have added too much. If you still dont like it, pull it all out and youve wasted what $5? I hope that you'll be pleased or I wouldve never posted this in the first place!

Old 01-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Cool. Write up.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:02 PM
I tried it today and to be honest I can't tell any difference.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
I tried it today and to be honest I can't tell any difference.
Sorry to hear that but you probably just didn't add enough or way too much. Everyone else has said a made a big improvement, including myself.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by 2010FX2
Sorry to hear that but you probably just didn't add enough or way too much. Everyone else has said a made a big improvement, including myself.
I must not have put enough in, I guess.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did mine today and to my surprise it does sound a little better!

Old 05-27-2011, 04:10 PM
I was messing around in the truck today working on the layout of my upcoming system install and decided to take another look at the amount of polyfill that I added to the sony box. I originally forgot to pull out the thick blue crap that ford had put in the box. So for anyone else that tries this, pull the oem fill material out before adding polyfill, I could tell a little difference on the sound.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:17 PM
That's what my dad did when he had subs in high school and wanted me to do when I was building my boxes.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Mine sounds far better now.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:27 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR - 2011

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It does sounds better!

Old 04-01-2012, 01:37 AM
Thumbs up Definitely worked for me

Thanks for the post. I filled the sub in my 2012 SCrew and it sounds much better.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:46 AM
I'll try this as soon as the truck gets here. Anticipation is killing me.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:59 PM
I will be doing this tonight!! Hope it works!!

Old 05-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Cool write up! To bad I have other subs in now!

Old 05-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the write up. Going to give that a try this weekend.

Quick Reply: How to make your factory Sony Sub sound better